Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. OKLAHOMA GAME THREAD*****

2 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

So the broadcast brought in the studio ref to explain why this wasn't called targeting. His explanation was that since 'side helmet' was used (not the crown) it was a legal and incidental hit.

I thought the only legal part of the helmet was using your facemask straight up. I swear I'd seen it called before when helmet contact was initiated like that on a defender. Maybe that was the pros and the rules are different. I honestly can't keep them straight anymore. 

I thought they would reverse the called targeting on Roach because his helmet basically hit under the shoulder pads, in the bicep area. However since he launched and initiated contact with the crown first it was targeting.  I thought it had to hit in the had and neck area to be targeting, but that doesn't appear to be the case in college.  

My takeaway from both calls was that they are penalizing the intent more than the results. You lead with the crown it will get called. Incidental contact won't. 

Ok.  So what I learned from this is a player can lead with the side of his helmet and hit the other player in the helmet and it won't be called.  So if the facemask hits first then you aren't leading with the crown and shouldn't draw a flag...

4 hours ago, aUTfan said:

Damn, cant believe I keep reading posts about coach shouldn't be practicing so hard on Tuesdays, stop bloody tuesday etc etc....F@#K that bullshit!!! I for one don't want to see a soft team like i did during the Mack Brown era. it was embarrassing and some of you same whiners that are complaining about bloody tuesdays probably complained about being too soft 63-14, 65-13, 55-17, 63-21 ......those are all scores where we got our asses handed to us by OU when they smacked us in the mouth.

I want to see a physical, hard playing defense and to do that you have to practice that way. Injuries are what they are, its just bad luck this year with them. The physical practices should NOT stop.

STFU about it!!

I hope you had a very happy bloody Tuesday.:)

I don’t know why this thread is still going but oh well. 

Having never witnessed the “bloody Tuesday” practice I’m totally speculating but I shall speculate nonetheless. 

Nowadays QB’s wear little shirts in practice to remind people not to hit them. In the good old days if you were on the practice field you were open game. 

Nowadays we have charts by the urinal and mandates that players walk around with jugs of water to stay hydrated. No telling how many water breaks at practice. In the good old days you took a fistful of salt tabs before practices and you got ONE water break. You took a knee with your helmet on until it was your turn to get the ONE 6oz paper cup almost filled with water. You were lucky if there wasn’t a bug or a little dirt in it. Once you got it you went back, took a knee, and could take your helmet off and hold it while you sipped the most glorious water you’ve ever tasted bug and all because it was all you would get. 

I bet they don’t run through the chute, go a little bull in the ring session, or my all time favorite utilize “sic em dogs”. This was 2 or 3 guys who didn’t play much because they weren’t very talented  but coach kept them around because they were mean SOB’s. They would spend their time standing close to coach so he could teach what he considered the most important life lesson. If the coach thought someone was not giving good effort, making too many mistakes, or just needed a gut check he would quietly say a players name to his little minions and they would take off like a torpedo, usually from behind or blind side, and knock the ever loving shit out of you. (That is the absolute truth) If they caught you off guard all you could hear while laying on the ground with your head ringing was “KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL!”

Bloody Tuesday sounds really scary but I figure it’s not near as terrible as it sounds. It’s definitely not causing our players to get hurt on game days. My gosh it’s against the rules to spear (hit with the crown) today. Were raising a bunch of babies. That’s the problem 

Well there you go. We lost because of not enough hitting.

Herman blamed some of the poor tackling on his decision to limit tackling in practice the last couple of weeks.

"It was not a great decision," Herman said. "It showed."

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Texas-Defense-Going-From-Bad-to-Worse-at-Midseason-563129231.html

2 hours ago, primal defense said:

Herman blamed some of the poor tackling on his decision to limit tackling in practice the last couple of weeks.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Texas-Defense-Going-From-Bad-to-Worse-at-Midseason-563129231.html

That makes sense... in a lot of ways.

Due to all the injuries they took it easier in practice. Think I mentioned earlier how they try to balance their practice load with the injury situation. On the other side of that they weren't as prepare for game speed. 

I can't blame the coaches for going this route in adjusting to the injury situation. One would hope a week or two of less contact wouldn't negate month's worth of harder training.   Unfortunately that didn't appear to be the case. 

9 hours ago, primal defense said:

How about some fundamental drills. Watch the tackling. These guys have forgotten how to wrap up. Especially the secondary. It's starting to look like the Vance Bedford defense all over again.

7 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

If you donot practice do you forget how to taackle?

You have practice so that you can learn and continue to apply sound tackling fundamentals.

Will you stick your neck in the fray if you're not used to sticking your neck in the fray? Or will you arm tackle?

23 hours ago, primal defense said:

What have they been doing at practice? If this caused the issue they obviously limited blocking, pass catching, receiver coverage, kickoff returning and pass rushing. I doubt they worked on game planning, play calling, or in game adjustments.

Maybe during their position practice time they played duck, duck, goose or red rover. Did they spend film session time playing quiet water still water or heads up seven up?

Apparently during team sessions they were brainstorming ideas for lame excuses. 

I’m gonna play pin the tail on the donkey. The game plan sucked, execution was awful on both sides of the ball, and our players got bitch slapped and walked away. Coach Herman did not have this team ready to play. 

13 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You have practice so that you can learn and continue to apply sound tackling fundamentals.

Will you stick your neck in the fray if you're not used to sticking your neck in the fray? Or will you arm tackle?

The idea that we can practice full speed tackling once at the beginning of the season and then be good for the season is ridiculous. It's not like getting a fishing license. 

Plus, what we tend to see when tackling slips are defenders who are all going for the big 'hit' to cause turnovers and forget to tackle. Or a group of dudes hanging around waiting for the ball to bounce out instead of gang tackling (which would've been really handy against Lamb).  

Totally agree that tackling is a fundamental, and like all fundamentals have to be practiced regularly. But again, I can't blame Herman for dialing it down in practice to to try and balance against the injuries based on how this season is going. It's a difficult balance. 

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Considering that the Kansas offense is 106th in the nation with a new offensive coordinator, I predict the UT defense will look at lot better.

Yes better except the runing game.