Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. OKLAHOMA GAME THREAD*****

2 hours ago, DMAC said:

Sams has struggled this year, erratic passes, throwing behind receivers.  He doesnt seem the same as last year thats for sure.

This is something I wonder whether or not the rib injury is causing more issues than they will publicly say. He had another under thrown ball yesterday that would've easily gone for a TD. He threw a similar ball for his first INT that the announcers got onto him for throwing into triple coverage, but it was more obvious the ball was under thrown. 

What I don't know is whether or not he's getting the distance he's used to because of the rib injury. That will jack with a throwing motion as much as a shoulder problem. Getting pounded yesterday for 9 sacks sure wouldn't have helped that. 

He's also not on the same page with Eagles and Epps yet. Those guys have to work on finishing catches. 

33 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

My notes . . . 

– Defensively, it wasn't as ugly as it looked. Holding OU's offense to 34 isn't bad at all.

– We are a very young defense playing in a big game. Despite that, it didn't get into their heads.

– We missed Caden Sterns today.

– Offense started so many times deep in our own territory, its hard to believe we still scored 27 points.

– Colin Johnson didn't have a bad game, but you could tell he's been out a while.

– My ire goes to the Texas offensive line. What was supposed to be a position of strength was burned for what, 9 sacks?

– I do believe Coach O was out-coached today. However, I don't view this as proving one DC is better than the other. Coach O played the hand he was dealt. Remember, he was a hero just last year in Dallas.

– Kenneth Murray is a beast of a LB. We need to game plan him in the CCG.

– The one thing I would hate to be in life is a Oklahoma QB recruit. You will never start. It must be nice to move in a seasoned starter every year.

– Roschon Johnson was a big bright spot for us yesterday. Makes you wonder if someone thing is wrong with Ingram. Will Johnson threaten Ingram's starting job?

Ingram isn't cutting it.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

My notes . . . 

– Defensively, it wasn't as ugly as it looked. Holding OU's offense to 34 isn't bad at all.

– We are a very young defense playing in a big game. Despite that, it didn't get into their heads.

– We missed Caden Sterns today.

– Offense started so many times deep in our own territory, its hard to believe we still scored 27 points.

– Colin Johnson didn't have a bad game, but you could tell he's been out a while.

– My ire goes to the Texas offensive line. What was supposed to be a position of strength was burned for what, 9 sacks?

– I do believe Coach O was out-coached today. However, I don't view this as proving one DC is better than the other. Coach O played the hand he was dealt. Remember, he was a hero just last year in Dallas.

– Kenneth Murray is a beast of a LB. We need to game plan him in the CCG.

– The one thing I would hate to be in life is a Oklahoma QB recruit. You will never start. It must be nice to move in a seasoned starter every year.

– Roschon Johnson was a big bright spot for us yesterday. Makes you wonder if someone thing is wrong with Ingram. Will Johnson threaten Ingram's starting job?

The Texas defense is currently statistically the worst in school history... That is hard to do considering the Strong era and what Manny Diaz did. We're also leading the country is missed tackles... The defense is a complete shit show...

Johnson will most likely go back to QB. If he can pass at all he might be the QB Herman is waiting for.

My question is was OU recruits ranked higher than Texas or just coached better?

24 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

The Texas defense is currently statistically the worst in school history... That is hard to do considering the Strong eta and what Manny Diaz did. We're also leading the country is missed tackles... The defense is a complete shit show...

Damn.

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

The Texas defense is currently statistically the worst in school history... That is hard to do considering the Strong era and what Manny Diaz did. We're also leading the country is missed tackles... The defense is a complete shit show...

I'm going to go ahead and call your bluff . . or your inability to put stats into perspective.

Its true Texas is 112th in the country right now. Right now.

The defense you're so critical of has faced what may be the two best offenses in the country. Not many teams ranked higher have done that. So yeah, thats going to ruin your statistics a little bit. What kind of kills that statistic (giving up yards) is that defense is also ranked 4th in the country right now in INTs.

Holding OU to their lowest scoring game this far into the year isn't anything to snub your nose at, especially given the injuries and youth we're dealing with. 

Yeah, we've got issues with tackling. We didn't have that in game 1 or 2. So its correctable and probably due in some part to some starters not playing.

Go get that baby you threw out with the bath water. 

I don't know if you guys are familiar with SP+. It's basically a model to rank teams' offense/defense/special teams, and it tries to normalize performance based on opponents played and a bunch of other metrics.

I have my own complaints about SP+, and I certainly wouldn't read too much into the exact rankings, but in case anyone is curious here's how the Texas defense has been ranked in the past several years:

2019: 67th

2018: 44th

2017: 14th

2016: 50th

2015: 60th

2014: 12th

2013: 23rd

2012: 43rd

So, SP+ indicates that our defense is about as good as it was in 2015-2016. Todd Orlando seems to be following the same trajectory (in terms of SP+ rankings) as Vance Bedford.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm going to go ahead and call your bluff . . or your inability to put stats into perspective.

Its true Texas is 112th in the country right now. Right now.

The defense you're so critical of has faced what may be the two best offenses in the country. Not many teams ranked higher have done that. So yeah, thats going to ruin your statistics a little bit. What kind of kills that statistic (giving up yards) is that defense is also ranked 4th in the country right now in INTs.

Holding OU to their lowest scoring game this far into the year isn't anything to snub your nose at, especially given the injuries and youth we're dealing with. 

Yeah, we've got issues with tackling. We didn't have that in game 1 or 2. So its correctable and probably due in some part to some starters not playing.

Go get that baby you threw out with the bath water. 

What precisely are you saying?  Are you saying our defense is good?  Not that bad?  Not as bad as we think?  I’d say you’re being naive.  When a team gives up double digits in plays over 20 yards, you’re bad... that’s a bad statistic if you’re playing the Dan Marino Dolphins.  It’s not a disability to put numbers in perspective. 

At least we can all agree on this.... the defense isn’t suffering because they’re spending too much time on punt and kickoff returns.  

https://footballscoop.com/news/nuggets-ous-defense-lsus-offense-real-georgias-flop-everything-else-week-7/

There is nothing in this article about UT ou game that I don't agree with.  It was a 7 point deficit.  We beat the spread, whoopee.  We are a second tier school, behind LSU, OU, Alabama.  Face it.  Sorry, we aren't back yet.

56 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

What precisely are you saying?  Are you saying our defense is good?  Not that bad?  Not as bad as we think?  I’d say you’re being naive.  When a team gives up double digits in plays over 20 yards, you’re bad... that’s a bad statistic if you’re playing the Dan Marino Dolphins.  It’s not a disability to put numbers in perspective. 

At least we can all agree on this.... the defense isn’t suffering because they’re spending too much time on punt and kickoff returns.  

I don't know whats confusing about what I said. I agreed with the ranking, but pointed out some very good things about our D. Not as bad as you think. Not bad.

And doing that doesn't make me or anyone else naive. A lot of people were predicting a Texas victory with OU scoring more than 34 points.

14 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't know whats confusing about what I said. I agreed with the ranking, but pointed out some very good things about our D. Not as bad as you think. Not bad.

And doing that doesn't make me or anyone else naive. A lot of people were predicting a Texas victory with OU scoring more than 34 points.

You agree with the 112 ranking and that they have an issue tackling, but claim their “not bad.” That is a little confusing. 

We disagree.  I think the defense is “not good.”  I don’t think it is trending in the right direction either.  And I think that a 112 ranking supports that regardless of having LSU and OU on the schedule.  

For what it’s worth, I hope you’re right.  

Guys this team is still really young, we were never realistically in the National Title conversation, first step is winning the conference.

I saw growth in areas that we need it:

Cornerback- Anthony Cook played a great game considering he has not started in many games

Linebacker- Our linebackers are getting better and showing more awareness on the field. 

Running back- Roschon is creating separation as a running back

There is a lot to be desired and we left a lot on the field Saturday but we have faced a really tough schedule with injuries that would normally cripple a team, luckily we have talent depth, we just need these backups to get more field time, in the big picture, this is great for the program

"Rome was not built in a day"

15 hours ago, 83Dee said:

You agree with the 112 ranking and that they have an issue tackling, but claim their “not bad.” That is a little confusing. 

We disagree.  I think the defense is “not good.”  I don’t think it is trending in the right direction either.  And I think that a 112 ranking supports that regardless of having LSU and OU on the schedule.  

For what it’s worth, I hope you’re right.  

No, it's simple. We've played high caliber competition which skew the reality of the numbers and what they mean. I agreed with the 112th ranking RIGHT NOW, which I said twice for emphasis and now have put in all caps. 

For instance, there's no way in hell you'd take Tech's defense over ours, but yet, Tech's D is ranked higher. The reason – the competition.

How can you disagree when you admitted that you were confused? You throw out straight numbers which don't tell the story. I added perspective to allow that story to be told in full. You're free to think what you like. Maybe if we scheduled a bunch of cupcakes you'd feel better about our defense. lol

17 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No, it's simple. We've played high caliber competition which skew the reality of the numbers and what they mean. I agreed with the 112th ranking RIGHT NOW, which I said twice for emphasis and now have put in all caps. 

For instance, there's no way in hell you'd take Tech's defense over ours, but yet, Tech's D is ranked higher. The reason – the competition.

How can you disagree when you admitted that you were confused? You throw out straight numbers which don't tell the story. I added perspective to allow that story to be told in full. You're free to think what you like. Maybe if we scheduled a bunch of cupcakes you'd feel better about our defense. lol

You may be correct with everything you said, however defending a 112th rating is playing a losing hand.

2 minutes ago, primal defense said:

You may be correct with everything you said, however defending a 112th rating is playing a losing hand.

Remove LSU from the schedule and we're not 112th and everybody feels fine. lol

21 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Johnson will most likely go back to QB. If he can pass at all he might be the QB Herman is waiting for.

My question is was OU recruits ranked higher than Texas or just coached better?

2015  UT 10th  OU 15th

2016 UT 7th     OU 19th

2017 UT 25th   OU  8th

2018  UT 3rd   OU 9th

2019 UT 3rd    OU 6th 

22 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Without a doubt Ingram is hurt. He played poorly against LSU and I found out later he was wearing a brace. Then he played well against Rice and Oklahoma State. He was 11-18 against WV and only had two carries against OU.

Roschon was the first string RB against OU. He had more carries (11) and played in the 4th. He only had 9 carries against OU and averaged 11 yards per carry. Why didn't he get the ball more? WTF!

11 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Remove LSU from the schedule and we're not 112th and everybody feels fine. lol

Good grief.... you’re not the only one with eyeballs and a brain on this forum.  

Okay - to you’re point, we’re not the 112th best college football defense.... but we’re far from “good” and I even take issue with “not bad.”   

Is this what you expected on defense in year 3 of Herman / Orlando?  Not me... but then maybe I just can’t put numbers in perspective.  

The toughest IR list in college football. I'm glad we have a tough team.

Texas
Date Pos Player Injury Status
10/13/19 WR Al'Vonte Woodard Ankle is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 DB Chris Brown Thigh is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 WR Collin Johnson Head left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 RB Daniel Young Stinger left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 DB Demarvion Overshown Neck is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 LB Jeffrey McCulloch Shoulder left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 DE Malcolm Roach Targeting Suspension is OUT 1st half Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 RB Jordan Whittington Groin is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
09/23/19 DB Cade Sterns Leg is out indefinitely
09/23/19 DB Jalen Green Shoulder is out indefinitely
09/23/19 DB Josh Thompson Foot is out indefinitely
09/23/19 LB Marcus Tillman Jr. Knee is out for season
08/29/19 TE Rob Cummins Knee is out indefinitely
08/27/19 WR Joshua Moore Suspension is out indefinitely
08/23/19 TE Cade Brewer Concussion is out indefinitely

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

The toughest IR list in college football. I'm glad we have a tough team.

Texas
Date Pos Player Injury Status
10/13/19 WR Al'Vonte Woodard Ankle is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 DB Chris Brown Thigh is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 WR Collin Johnson Head left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 RB Daniel Young Stinger left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 DB Demarvion Overshown Neck is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 LB Jeffrey McCulloch Shoulder left last game, is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 DE Malcolm Roach Targeting Suspension is OUT 1st half Saturday vs Kansas
10/13/19 RB Jordan Whittington Groin is "?" Saturday vs Kansas
09/23/19 DB Cade Sterns Leg is out indefinitely
09/23/19 DB Jalen Green Shoulder is out indefinitely
09/23/19 DB Josh Thompson Foot is out indefinitely
09/23/19 LB Marcus Tillman Jr. Knee is out for season
08/29/19 TE Rob Cummins Knee is out indefinitely
08/27/19 WR Joshua Moore Suspension is out indefinitely
08/23/19 TE Cade Brewer Concussion is out indefinitely

These "bloody Tuesdays" have to be part of the injury situation.