Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. OKLAHOMA GAME THREAD*****

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I tell you what, I've endured the late years of Akers, McWilliams, Macovick, the late years of Mack Brown and Charlie Strong. I don't have much of a stomach left for garbage and I don't like the way this is headed. 

Our genius coach can't seem to get across to our kick and punt returners when to field the ball and when not to.  I think 2.5 years ought to be enough for that task?

Our defense is comprised of over 50% DBs a good portion of the time, essentially surrendering the run... but wait, we can't defend the pass either!   Why exactly is it we can't even do so much as choose our poison?

And let's not forget our offense.   I thought Beck was a genius - turning a wild gunslinger into a gritty gamer who doesn't turn the ball over.  Well, now he doesn't turn it over because he doesn't throw it!  He's working on taking a baker's dozen sacs while standing there with deer in the headlight eyes.  Also, we've recruited a bunch of huge linemen who seem to get confused if they look at anything other than a bull rush!   Finally, I'm not sure what Beck saw on film that made him think it would be clever to consistently throw it 45 degrees backward.... but I hope he revisits that wisdom before we play again!!!!

The whole lot of them not only defecated the bed on the biggest stage but seem to be headed toward the pre-Vince Young Mack Brown year's of a consist spank doll for OU and a nice bridesmaid outfit.  

Take your 2nd place trophy MENSA and boast about recruiting victories and consecutive ten win seasons.  But don't expect me to be there and watch!

Agree on all points except I do not belive Akers does not belong with the other names.

Can't speak to the Royal years as I was just a lad in his last few years but the ultimate success or failure of Herman will depend on whether or not he is overly loyal to coaches that do not or will not evolve. That cost Charlie (among other things) and Mack in the end. It appears the talent is being assembled but there seems to be a reluctance or inability by the staff to adapt. Just my humble opinion.

5 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

If you look back on this one we gave up huge chunks on the handoff down the line where the RB got the edge and nobody was there. I bet we see this moving forward from other teams. 

They pulled the Left Tackle to block for this play.  And they did it continuously and they gained chunks of yards just about every time.  The LEFT Tackle to the RIGHT edge.

Riley inherited a lot better team than Herman so I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Tom just yet. Riley also has had hired guns at QB every year he has been the HC. Be that said, ou was the better team today on both sides of the ball. However, I didn't see Texas quit where in years not too long ago, they would have.

Some notes from watching this.

We had no creativity on offense.  Same plays that anyone can get on film.  OU ran motion and misdirection that confused our D.  Jalen Hurts will be in New York for the Heisman.  I don't think he wins but he will be there.  Their D ran to the ball constantly and their DLine completely embarrassed our O line.

The 7 point spread was not indicative of this game.  We were lucky to keep it that close.  It should have been a 21 pt spread.

4 minutes ago, Rotty22 said:

We had no creativity on offense.  Same plays that anyone can get on film.  OU ran motion and misdirection that confused our D.  Jalen Hurts will we in New York for the Heisman.  I don't think he wins but he will be there.  Their D ran to the ball constantly and their DLine completely embarrassed our O line.

The 7 point spread was not indicative of this game.  We were luck to keep it that close.  It should have been a 21 pt spread.

Thought the same thing during the game. As did the sooner fans watching it with me. These are the things that make me hope Herman is not married to a certain offensive scheme but running it because it best fits the current talent. Hopefully he will show more creativity once the skill guys and depth  necessary are in place. Particularly at the RB position. Which confuses me as well. How can a program such as Texas go so long between game changing backs? 

3 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Agree on all points except I do not belive Akers does not belong with the other names.

Agree.  Akers is my favorite Texas coach.   His last few years were rough in the Wild Wild Southwest. 

this game just showed me how vanilla the Texas scheme is and how predictable it has become. Sam was throwing the same type of pass all day just asking for it be picked for a Pick 6, They never adjusted for the blitz. OU offense was fresh and made ours look like had one option. Sam is a good QB, a good leader, but he can't or doesn't make the throws where he hits a guy in space and they do their thing..I was proud of the Horns, they hung in there and kept themselves in the game, except after Roach got ejected, they lost their composure.

9 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

We had no creativity on offense.  Same plays that anyone can get on film.  OU ran motion and misdirection that confused our D.  Jalen Hurts will be in New York for the Heisman.  I don't think he wins but he will be there.  Their D ran to the ball constantly and their DLine completely embarrassed our O line.

The 7 point spread was not indicative of this game.  We were luck to keep it that close.  It should have been a 21 pt spread.

OU runs a blue blood defense from the Big 10, we run a gimmick defense from the mountain west that seems fascinated with seeing how many DBs can trot out onto the field at one time.  

There’s probably a reason:  Alabama, Clemson, tOSU etc.... don’t start out in a 3-3-5 formation.  And don’t tell me the Big 12 dictates this.  

And furthermore, I’d like to know, just what about studying OU made our coaching staff think that the best way to attack their defense would be with a steady diet of diagonal passes  - many of which were completed for a loss of yardage? 

But I’ll settle for baby steps this week.  How about we finally solve the 2 1/2 year mystery of when to run a kickoff and when to field a punt.  Do that and I’ll be in bliss!

14 hours ago, Baron said:

Yes they will. There's hoe-u then Texas, then the rest. Baylor is still a step behind.

Injuries, bad special teams, no pass D, and no pass rush will do this team again. Iowa State and Baylor may put UT into 4th place in the conference. That makes me sick to say that but that's what I see in my crystal ball.....and did I mention injuries?.......................oh, and please stop those bloody Tuesdays coach.

Defense played poorly, as we’ve been accustomed to seeing this year but opportunistic. The offense gave this game away. From play calls to player execution they sucked. 

Line was pathetic, Ingram...I guess he’s just not the player I thought. He brings nothing to the table. Duvernay had his head up his ass. He literally muffed the kickoff returns in every way imaginable. Eagles dropped a couple of big play, possible TD passes, I guess Collin Johnson played more than 5 or 6 snaps but that’s all I recall. He’s awfully big to disappear but he did. 

With all that said we will still run the table and rematch in  Big 12 championship. It sucks because all we can do now is play spoiler. 

9 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Out coached and out classed today. 

We are not back.... And I have no idea what being back means but I'm tired of being ou's bitch and watching them win the Big 12. 

The piano player may be warmed up, but the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Ou had a better game plan on defense than texas did..grinch decided to come after sam to disrupt the passing game and it worked ..ou did it with a 5 or 7 man front with delayed blitzes and stunts..the texas oline  looked lost on who to block half the time. The other half they just got beat..Herman and beck didnt make adjustments on offense quick enough in the 1st half maybe because the score was still close but we could all see what was happening the ou defense was killing the offense swarming to the ball ..texas solely relied on what had been working in previous games sideways passes to duverney or to the rbs..ou was ready for that everytime..so why did herman and beck keep trying..blows my mind..texas scored 23 pts in the second half the coaches could have made adjustments in the first half and maybe scored 14-17pts who knows?..smh..well on to next week.

37 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

Ou had a better game plan on defense than texas did..grinch decided to come after sam to disrupt the passing game and it worked ..ou did it with a 5 or 7 man front with delayed blitzes and stunts..the texas oline  looked lost on who to block half the time. The other half they just got beat..Herman and beck didnt make adjustments on offense quick enough in the 1st half maybe because the score was still close but we could all see what was happening the ou defense was killing the offense swarming to the ball ..texas solely relied on what had been working in previous games sideways passes to duverney or to the rbs..ou was ready for that everytime..so why did herman and beck keep trying..blows my mind..texas scored 23 pts in the second half the coaches could have made adjustments in the first half and maybe scored 14-17pts who knows?..smh..well on to next week.

It’s cause Herman thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room. Riley owns Herman. 

Offense is the name of the game today. Unless you can score around 50 points a gamme you will not win enough game to be in playoffs.

Most good high schools score 50 points in a 12 minute shorter game.

Hopefully Herman will see the light if not he will go the same as Brown.

2 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Defense played poorly, as we’ve been accustomed to seeing this year but opportunistic. The offense gave this game away. From play calls to player execution they sucked. 

Line was pathetic, Ingram...I guess he’s just not the player I thought. He brings nothing to the table. Duvernay had his head up his ass. He literally muffed the kickoff returns in every way imaginable. Eagles dropped a couple of big play, possible TD passes, I guess Collin Johnson played more than 5 or 6 snaps but that’s all I recall. He’s awfully big to disappear but he did. 

With all that said we will still run the table and rematch in  Big 12 championship. It sucks because all we can do now is play spoiler. 

Right, Ricky, but playing spoiler to ou's season and winning the Big 12 championship would still be mighty sweet. 

Honestly I dont know why everyone is shocked.  If you couldnt tell that this team wasnt as good as everyone was touting after the LSU and OSU game then I dont know what to say.  Especially after the whooping tech put on okie state. 

Sams has struggled this year, erratic passes, throwing behind receivers.  He doesnt seem the same as last year thats for sure.

Our defense is aweful and young.

Honestly we were lucky this game was this close.  I hate losing to those booger eaters more than anyone else but this team isnt as good as last years team.  Defensive youth and Sam's inconsistencies are the main reasons.

My notes . . . 

– Defensively, it wasn't as ugly as it looked. Holding OU's offense to 34 isn't bad at all.

– We are a very young defense playing in a big game. Despite that, it didn't get into their heads.

– We missed Caden Sterns today.

– Offense started so many times deep in our own territory, its hard to believe we still scored 27 points.

– Colin Johnson didn't have a bad game, but you could tell he's been out a while.

– My ire goes to the Texas offensive line. What was supposed to be a position of strength was burned for what, 9 sacks?

– I do believe Coach O was out-coached today. However, I don't view this as proving one DC is better than the other. Coach O played the hand he was dealt. Remember, he was a hero just last year in Dallas.

– Kenneth Murray is a beast of a LB. We need to game plan him in the CCG.

– The one thing I would hate to be in life is a Oklahoma QB recruit. You will never start. It must be nice to move in a seasoned starter every year.

– Roschon Johnson was a big bright spot for us yesterday. Makes you wonder if someone thing is wrong with Ingram. Will Johnson threaten Ingram's starting job?