Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**Running College Football Updates Thread**

TFloss32

4 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I mean y’all can bash me if you want, but I don’t think we were the best team against USC in the championship game.  We had the best player that nobody could do anything with.  We would have lost 3 or 4 games that year if VY hadn’t pulled it out for us.

Didn't we win that game? I swore we did cause I was there. I hope I didn't get really drunk and get confused.

Texas had a better offense (#1 vs #2) and better defense (#9 vs #35) than USC that year so statistically Texas was better. I agree we would have lost some games if not for Vince but the fact is he was there for all of them and he was a member of the team.

1 hour ago, tejasrulz said:

Didn't we win that game? I swore we did cause I was there. I hope I didn't get really drunk and get confused.

Texas had a better offense (#1 vs #2) and better defense (#9 vs #35) than USC that year so statistically Texas was better. I agree we would have lost some games if not for Vince but the fact is he was there for all of them and he was a member of the team.

Yea, it was a team win. There were lots of plays that were just outstanding, not made by Vince Young.

When Earl Thomas streaked across the field and intercepted that pass near the goal line to stop a drive. When our LB (can't recall his name) literally caught Reggie Bush down the sideline. Holding the USC offense on 4th and 2 late in the game.

There were so many. There were tons of great players on that field that night.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yea, it was a team win. There were lots of plays that were just outstanding, not made by Vince Young.

When Earl Thomas streaked across the field and intercepted that pass near the goal line to stop a drive. When our LB (can't recall his name) literally caught Reggie Bush down the sideline. Holding the USC offense on 4th and 2 late in the game.

Not to be the national championship police but that was Griffin who streaked across the field for the int. But yes, you could argue that that play changed the dynamic of the game. It was huge!

8 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

Mack is a good coach but I just don’t think he an elite coach.  NC people told us that we’re going to love him in February and you’ll win about 9-10 games per year.  
I mean y’all can bash me if you want, but I don’t think we were the best team against USC in the championship game.  We had the best player that nobody could do anything with.  We would have lost 3 or 4 games that year if VY hadn’t pulled it out for us.  I always said the way Mack recruited that if we could ever win one that we would get everybody we want and we would stay at the top of the heap for years.  I actually thought we would do what Alabama is doing now.  It just never happened. Then after we lost the championship in 2010, Mack kinda checked it in.  It changed him.  It took a lot out of him but he stayed for several years more and it set us way back. 

We only had two games that season that we didn’t win by more than 10. At Ohio State we won at the Shoe by three. Limas Sweed made that great catch to win. And against USC. We wouldn’t have won without VY or Michael Huff. 

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I believe the LB was Drew Kelson.  I thought the best USC player in that game was LenDale White.  His performance kept us from beating them by two touchdowns.

I saw the Horns play in three games at the Rose Bowl.  All were coached by Mack.  The Horns won all three.  Those were great memories.  

2 minutes ago, lshorn79 said:

I believe the LB was Drew Kelson.  I thought the best USC player in that game was LenDale White.  His performance kept us from beating them by two touchdowns.

I saw the Horns play in three games at the Rose Bowl.  All were coached by Mack.  The Horns won all three.  Those were great memories.  

Thank you. I could not remember his name but was thinking he wore #4. I thought he would be a superstar at Texas. Kind of an Overshown type LB before kids with that kind of speed played LB.

4 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Thank you. I could not remember his name but was thinking he wore #4. I thought he would be a superstar at Texas. Kind of an Overshown type LB before kids with that kind of speed played LB.

He did wear #4.  I agree with the Overshawn comparison.  If I remember correctly, Kelson was recruited, as a safety that was spun down to a LB.  
I know we suck until we don’t, but I just want us to not suck and to be relevant again.

13 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

As mentioned above, Michael Griffin was the DB with the INT and Drew Kelson was the LB who stayed step by step with Bush. Weird thing was that Drew Kelson was a JR that year but didn't see the field much his SR year.

TexasCoyote....I am not bashing you, I simply disagree. I think if we played that game the next week again we win by more. We were simply better. If you ever looked at that photo of Mack, Vince, Bush, Lienhart and Carrol at Disneyland before the game you could tell who was gonna win. Vince and Mack were totally relaxed and smiling. Reggie,Pete, and Matt not so much.

The press had annoited USC the greatest team ever, but our guys simply didnt buy it. After the game the USC guys were intervied and everyone of them said the same thing.....we couldnt stop the QB. Pete on why they went for it on 4th and 3.....we had to we couldnt stop the QB.Lienhert said the exact same words. We knew we were better and they knew we were better.