Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. LSU GAME THREAD*****

Different opinions is what makes a horse race.

Try running to the left and catch a pass high and to the left side. imo pass should have been in front and chest high. Could been caught but imo a great catch.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Different opinions is what makes a horse race.

Try running to the left and catch a pass high and to the left side. imo pass should have been in front and chest high. Could been caught but imo a great catch.

The assumption there is a bunch of dudes would get off of the coach and try to catch a pass high and to the left... presumably from another dude that could make that pass. It's a bad assumption.

The fact is that's a catch anyone above the high school level should make.  He was also slow to the adjust to the ball, which could've put him in better position. 

I bow to superior numbers. A QB can not share the blame. should never put air under the ball or throw a easily to catch pass.

Ingram could have caught the ball but it was far from a perfect pass.

I will agree with everyone on the botched TD opportunity.

Ingram must make that catch 100% of the time. He had it and when he was bringing it down it looks like his knee or thigh knocked it out (fluke accident)

He was wide freaking open. That’s a gimme pass for a QB but for some reason he threw it to the opposite side of where it needed to go. Sam must make that throw correctly 100% of the time. I remember thinking as I saw Ingram trying to turn back to catch it “how can you not make that throw, then I thought YES he adjusted, the I said”..I can’t repeat what I said. 

Stinky pass but absolutely catchable. The only perfect thing was the play call but it should have been called on 1st down. 

On 9/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Eastexhorn said:

I bow to superior numbers. A QB can not share the blame. should never put air under the ball or throw a easily to catch pass.

Ingram could have caught the ball but it was far from a perfect pass.

Believe it or not, I once played QB.

My coaches told me that the pass does not have to be perfect, just catchable. IF the ball touches the receiver's hands, then it should result in a catch.

Ingram blew it and just had a bad game overall. Hope he pulls out of it.

2 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Horns should have kicked the fg on 4th down to tie the score at 3 to 3. too early in the game to gamble like that. Just fired up lsu. I thought it to be a critical coaching error. Just my opinion.

Agree, but what would we been saying if Ingram doesn’t muff it?

2 hours ago, dillohorn said:

Horns should have kicked the fg on 4th down to tie the score at 3 to 3. too early in the game to gamble like that. Just fired up lsu. I thought it to be a critical coaching error. Just my opinion.

If you are talking about the 2nd time when we went for it, I can agree. But I also didn't mind the call. 

Now, if you are talking about the 1st time we went for it, I don't agree at all that it was a critical coaching error. The coaches called a great play that would have resulted in a TD if properly executed, i.e. simply catching a ball with no one around you. That is not a coaching error at all. All the coaches can do is put the players in position to execute the play successfully which they absolutely did. And the players have to execute. Which did not happen. 

I wonder if there is any thinking towards sitting Roschan Johnson down and telling him “you are now a running back?”  Or, at a minimum, asking “are you interested in being a running back full-time?”

This kid is Electric at that position and has a knack for falling forward 2 yards when he is tackled.

QB room stacked, RB room lonely  

Thoughts?

I remember Lenny Dawson explaining to" never played football" fellow commentators who were blasting a QB that fired a short pass to his receiver that was dropped. They were saying things like....should have feathered it in....sholud have put air under it....etc...Lenny cut em off saying there were hundreds, maybe thousands of guys that could run fast, but the reason those Pro receivers were making millions was they were supposed to be able to catch . He said a QB did not have the luxury of tossing creme puffs. Those get picked off.

anyway, I never forgot that

37 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I wonder if there is any thinking towards sitting Roschan Johnson down and telling him “you are now a running back?”  Or, at a minimum, asking “are you interested in being a running back full-time?”

This kid is Electric at that position and has a knack for falling forward 2 yards when he is tackled.

Thoughts?

I just keep thinking.... if he would have got the snap on 4th and Goal (the 2nd trip) there is no way he isnt getting in.  He runs with a serious attitude. Is awesome to watch 

51 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Thoughts?

Right now he's our utility player. Third string QB and second string RB. This could change with injuries and players coming back.

I believe  Roschan would have been one of the states top RB along with Jordan if he would have played RB in high school. He was impressive against a top defense and I could see a bright future for him at RB long term.

However, when you recruit a player at QB then you owe him a shot at QB unless he wants to switch.

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Thoughts?

Same could be said about Sam.  Aren't we glad they didn't try to make a running back out of him?  If Roshan develops as a passer, he will be a beast at QB.

10 minutes ago, UTfish said:

A.  Same could be said about Sam.  Aren't we glad they didn't try to make a running back out of him?  B.  If Roshan develops as a passer, he will be a beast at QB.

A.  Disagree. RJ, and Sam’s running skill set is vastly different. RJ doesn’t just project as a QB with some running ability.   He projects (my opinion) as a top tier RB.  

B.  We are in full agreement.  

17 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

My coaches told me that the pass does not have to be perfect, just catchable. IF the ball touches the receiver's hands, then it should result in a catch.

Appricate the reply. Quote from my favorate coach is three things can happen on a pass play and two of them are bad.

5 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

If you are talking about the 2nd time when we went for it, I can agree. But I also didn't mind the call. 

Now, if you are talking about the 1st time we went for it, I don't agree at all that it was a critical coaching error. The coaches called a great play that would have resulted in a TD if properly executed, i.e. simply catching a ball with no one around you. That is not a coaching error at all. All the coaches can do is put the players in position to execute the play successfully which they absolutely did. And the players have to execute. Which did not happen. 

The run play to the right on 4th that went nowhere.

18 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

That’s true. Back in the dark ages when everyone ran the “wing T”, “wishbone”, or “veer” the 3 times QB attempted a forward pass and it was thrown in the general area of the receiver the coaches were pleased. The sole reason for throwing was to keep the defense honest. BTW I found one of your playing day pictures SHA02A5E1F8-B32D-4BD0-B3C5-60745B89A8CB.thumb.jpeg.524404dbef67601ed72d946161b11420.jpeg

I know I'm late to the party but it always takes me a while to be objective after a loss. There a couple of takeaways from the game I'd like to share.

1. The two trips inside the 5 yard line in the 1st quarter. The first 4th down attempt I'm okay with, the second, not so much. We have seen this cost Texas several times in the past. Call it hubris, stubbornness or arrogance, Herman needs to scout himself on that particular scenario and look at his success rate. We're lucky Herman's 4th down goal line hubris didn't cost us the Sugar Bowl.

2. Maybe I'm being an alarmist but it seems to me the defense always gives up scores at critical times as the game proceeds in the 2nd half. I know it's early in the season, but this happened a lot last year as well.