Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****TEXAS vs. LSU GAME THREAD*****

Not the LSU of old but more like Big 12 offense.  LSU is better than I thought, especially with the new passing offense.

Our defense gave up way too many big plays but we managed to keep it close with our offense trading scores.  The 2 failed red zone made the difference.

For all them dumb SEC defense goons.  I wasnt impressed with the SEC defense BS.  

Not sold on our defense.  Our youth will hold us back this year.

Before we get too down just think about how our Offense gashed LSU. That is probably one of the top defenses in the nation and definitely the best we will play against by a long shot. 

I know our corners wil need to grow up and i believe they will. Give them 5 or 6 games of experience and they will be much improved.

We are more than capable of running the table and winning the Big 12 and I would love a rematch with the tigers in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, texbound said:

I bring a blitz, but not a jail break.  However, I'm sitting on a couch so it's easy for me to say that.

Bright side, Texas will not play another defense that talented until a bowl game. Outlook is awesome for the offense.

Down side, that may not be the best offense they face.  However, LSU does have some damn good WRs, probably 3 of the best ones in the country.

One more note, is it just me or does it seem like Caden Sterns has taken a step back in these first 2 games?

I don’t think Caden has taken a step back. If you don’t see him in a play against a team with 5 wide receivers it probably means the QB is throwing somewhere he’s not. Joe B was picking on our single coverage by inexperienced CBs. That’s what I was seeing. 

I will say this.. after watching this game tonight. One..I almost lost my voice screaming at the TV. .Two I did say it was going to be a slobber knocker and I meant that . I was very impressed with the offense. The defense especially at DBs needs alot of work. I tip my hat off to both teams tonight. These are the kind of games that Texas needed to step up and improve. Now will this help them in terms of recruiting?? It really opened some eyes to those who witnessed a blood bath tonight. 

43 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Neither team sucked tonight. Joe Burrows was great. Sam was great. It was a battle. Both teams know they were in a game. LSUs athletes on both sides of the ball are better than any team we’ll face this year in the regular season. I’m not even sure ou out schemes them on offense. 

^^^see above post, not downplaying our good offense.  Just tired of hearing about the great LSU D.

17 minutes ago, Bogey said:

I’m pretty sure most Texas and LSU fans would admit that, prior to playing the game, they would have thought either team scoring 38 would win the game.

No, usually it takes 74 points to beat lsu...didn’t you read the cup?

38 minutes ago, shotime73 said:

I will say this.. after watching this game tonight. One..I almost lost my voice screaming at the TV. .Two I did say it was going to be a slobber knocker and I meant that . I was very impressed with the offense. The defense especially at DBs needs alot of work. I tip my hat off to both teams tonight. These are the kind of games that Texas needed to step up and improve. Now will this help them in terms of recruiting?? It really opened some eyes to those who witnessed a blood bath tonight. 

Interesting how our strength has shifted to offense after years of mediocre offense and decent defense.  Waiting for comments from recruits or about recruits who attended the game.  Good atmosphere is a huge positive I would think.

4 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Interesting how our strength has shifted to offense after years of mediocre offense and decent defense.  Waiting for comments from recruits or about recruits who attended the game.  Good atmosphere is a huge positive I would think.

I totally agree with you there Mr. Mike. Let me ask you this Mike .well I'll ask this to Sha as well. Do you believe after what we have witnessed tonight strengthens this football team for another RRR showdown?

1 minute ago, shotime73 said:

I totally agree with you there Mr. Mike. Let me ask you this Mike .well I'll ask this to Sha as well. Do you believe after what we have witnessed tonight strengthens this football team for another RRR showdown?

Confidence with our offense yes.  I guess the defensive showing at least let’s us know what to work on...of course let’s the future opponents know what to target as well.  Someday soon we will have both sides of the ball clicking!

Texas needs to improve in some areas.

OL no holes for RR 

DB time will help.

Passing accuracy to many uncatchable balls

maybe off. cord. and play calling.

Horns were burrowed under lets they don,t have the hurts put on them in the future..

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Texas needs to improve in some areas.

OL no holes for RR 

DB time will help.

Passing accuracy to many uncatchable balls

maybe off. cord. and play calling.

Horns were burrowed under lets they don,t have the hurts put on them in the future..

Offense put up 530 yards on a team better on defense then we will see for the rest of the year. Yes Sam wasn’t perfect and offense started slow but he played 1 hell of a game and offense never gave up when they knew the DB’s couldn’t get a stop. Texas gave that game away by not scoring on the goal line 2 consecutive trips. Or kick FG’s. Hindsight 20/20 but even with the god awful DB play Texas gave themselves  the chance. Should sweep the big 12 

O-Line played lights out. Remember that is supposedly best DL in the country and look at how much time Sam had. Enough to throw for over 400. Rojo shows he doesn’t need holes, he makes them and needs to get fed more 

any time you come up against a team that has the WR talent that LSU has, coupled with one of the most accurate and timely throws by a QB that I ever saw, you most likely lose. Hats off to LSU offense. They are going to expose many teams this year.

and another thing.....when you have as good of a defense as LSU and as talented a defense as Texas you just never, ever would expect 1100 yards of offense. To quote DKR...."it looked like everyone was running down hill out there."

all in all it kinda put a damper on either teams claim to be DBU

In the end, I have to tip my hat to LSU.....and I am damned proud of how our guys played...they absolutely NEVER gave up.

Ingram just didn't have it last night -10 carries for 29 yards.  Herman reiterated that Ingram was the guy and had confidence he would bounce back. 
From my perspective he just didn't have "it" last night.  The dropped TD pass, the near fumble...  sloppy play.

What’s going to be interesting is when some of the RB’s start getting healthy what to do with Roschon. The kid is no joke at RB. High energy, aggressive runner. I wouldn’t be quick to move him back if he keeps progressing as I think he will. 

12 hours ago, shotime73 said:

Yes, I do believe it helps this team prepare for OU. LSU is better than OU. Perhaps much better.

Some more thoughts . . . 

1. LSU's defense was the most out of condition unit I've seen in a long, long time. They were dropping like flies out there and caused numerous delays in play, interrupting rhythm of our offense.

2. Delpit is good, but not great. I didn't see the substance behind the hype.

3. This was the first time I really saw Orlando have no answer. LSU scored at will as did we. All we had to do was hold them or get a turnover one time. We couldn't. Orlando's multiple blitz there at the end was puzzling.

4. I would not be so quick to move Ro Johnson back to QB. I felt he performed better than Ingram. He was a spark in the running game when Ingram was just not.

5. Gotta wonder how this game ends if Ingram catches that pass.

6. Ossai will be an AA next year.

7. Brennan Eagles plays like a veteran. Was very impressed with his performance.

8. Did anyone notice Overshown in there? I never saw him. BJ Foster had a good night.

9. Felt our OL played well against what was supposed to be the best DL in the nation. I don't agree with that conclusion and am not sure if it was just a piss poor performance on their part or if we just wore them out.

10. Our CBs are young and green, but they gained some valuable experience last night. LSU's WRs were very good. Joe Burrow was very good.

Our offensive line is better than it’s been in many years and is only going to get better. I’d make sure Herb Hand stayed in Austin if I was Tom Herman. I think every starter we have on the unit should get a chance at the next level with Cosmi being a first rounder. 

28 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Some more thoughts . . . 

1. LSU's defense was the most out of condition unit I've seen in a long, long time. They were dropping like flies out there and caused numerous delays in play, interrupting rhythm of our offense.

2. Delpit is good, but not great. I didn't see the substance behind the hype.

3. This was the first time I really saw Orlando have no answer. LSU scored at will as did we. All we had to do was hold them or get a turnover one time. We couldn't. Orlando's multiple blitz there at the end was puzzling.

4. I would not be so quick to move Ro Johnson back to QB. I felt he performed better than Ingram. He was a spark in the running game when Ingram was just not.

5. Gotta wonder how this game ends if Ingram catches that pass.

6. Ossai will be an AA next year.

7. Brennan Eagles plays like a veteran. Was very impressed with his performance.

8. Did anyone notice Overshown in there? I never saw him. BJ Foster had a good night.

9. Felt our OL played well against what was supposed to be the best DL in the nation. I don't agree with that conclusion and am not sure if it was just a piss poor performance on their part or if we just wore them out.

10. Our CBs are young and green, but they gained some valuable experience last night. LSU's WRs were very good. Joe Burrow was very good.

I saw Overshown, he was in when Ossai got his INT

I’m not sure why Ingram didn’t perform better last night. I know he is an extremely good RB. The one thing that I keep thinking about is Herman’s statement last week that Ingram needed to show “more patience” when running. I presume he wants him to let things develop but it seemed he was almost tentative last night.

RJ had zero patience, when he got the ball he was going full throttle. I suppose there is a process in a RB’s development where patience becomes necessary to be elite but it seems at this moment Ingram might benefit from getting the green light and not worrying about play development. He may be over thinking things currently. 

Big Earl would hit the hole and the linemen better be out of the way or they would get run over. 

If Ingram had caught the pass it would been a fantasic catch of a not to well thrown ball.

And Hand and Yancy need a raise.

Just think how Johnson  would looked if he had some holes or even a crease.

If Burrow is that good he will make many more DBS look bad.