Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

psybj

Why LSU is a 5 pt favorite

both teams have elite talent but LSU didn't have that gap that was there before Herman took over.

LSU is much more experienced that UTx.  LSU has 8 starters back on O, and 8 on D.

UTx OL may be more talented but LSU is more experienced, a big issue for OL.

UTx has an excellent QB but the difference is not that great.  With RB problem the QB/FB will be pushed to use is feet more than the one man show should.  LSU QB was named SEC Off Player of the Week today.

LSU is deep at RB with HEALTHY guys, UTx is scrambling.  One RB can't be effective for a whole game taking the pounding.

LSU top 3 WRs and 2 TEs will play on Sundays.  And maybe more young ones.

LSU D and ST are excellent, both are likely to be Top Ten in nation despite the extreme schedule (6 of top 16 teams in nation).  And now the D has quality depth, can rotate on DL, LB and DB to keep them rested.

This is not meant to be a flame but rather an explanation.  Will ask any questions but please no BS about last year.

51 minutes ago, psybj said:

both teams have elite talent but LSU didn't have that gap that was there before Herman took over.

LSU is much more experienced that UTx.  LSU has 8 starters back on O, and 8 on D.

UTx has an excellent QB but the difference is not that great.  With RB problem the QB/FB will be pushed to use is feet more than the one man show should.  LSU QB was named SEC Off Player of the Week today.

LSU is deep at RB with HEALTHY guys, UTx is scrambling.  One RB can't be effective for a whole game taking the pounding.

LSU D and ST are excellent, both are likely to be Top Ten in nation despite the extreme schedule (6 of top 16 teams in nation).  And now the D has quality depth, can rotate on DL, LB and DB to keep them rested.

This is not meant to be a flame but rather an explanation.  Will ask any questions but please no BS about last year.

Wow, sounds like lsu can beat the Patriots!  Shouldn’t bother playing the game this Saturday.  

LSU -5, -210, +176...Guido sez LSU has 66% chance of Win

Nope, can't beat the Pats but explains why LSU is favored over an excellent Horn team in Austin.

I trust the oddsmakers over any other opinion; they are confident enuf to let you bet your house against their opinion, and they live good.  their assessment, see above, is that LSU has a 66% chance of winning which of course means Horns have a 34% chance.

At a neutral site LSU would be 7.5 favorite.  In BR would be 10.5.

1 hour ago, psybj said:

Not so fast.

Yes, there is a BIG difference at QB between the two. One has skins on the wall. The other is a work in progress. Which brings us to your WRs playing in the league. . . in LSU's offense? lol

Spare me the winning POW when you played GEORGIA SOUTHERN.

Your description of the defense sounded like you were talking about Texas. lol

If that was an explanation, as you say, it was a pretty bad attempt.

We kinda know what gets players in the NFL, including WRs, LSU has a few.  Total players on '18 NFL Rosters:
RANK  FBS SCHOOLPLAYERS

1Alabama44

2LSU40

3Florida38

4Miami36

4Ohio State36

6Florida State33

7Southern Cal32

8Clemson29

9Auburn28

9Georgia28

11Stanford27

11UCLA27

11Tennessee27

14Michigan26

14Notre Dame26

16Iowa25

17Texas24

17Penn State24

17Texas A&M24

20Oklahoma23

The LSU Offense has for years contributed to the waste of

excellent talent but the NFL seems to find the WRs anyway.

This LSU Offense is a bit different from previous.

Note list below shows 6 LSU WR and 2 TE on NFL rosters this year.

Advertisement
Team Player Pos Chart Pos / Chart String Ros. Status Draft Status
logo_thumb_ARZ.gif Peterson, Patrick CB SUS - 1st RES 11 01 005
logo_thumb_ATL.gif Etling, Danny WR/QB PS - 3rd PS 18 07 219
logo_thumb_ATL.gif Gage, Russell WR LWR - 2nd Active 18 06 194
logo_thumb_ATL.gif Jones, Deion OB MLB - 1st Active 16 02 052
logo_thumb_ATL.gif Riley, Duke OB SLB - 3rd Active 17 03 075
logo_thumb_BUF.gif Ferguson, Reid LS LS - 1st Active 16 CFA
logo_thumb_BUF.gif Thompson, Corey OB WLB - 2nd Active 18 CFA
logo_thumb_BUF.gif White, Tre'Davious CB LCB - 1st Active 17 01 027
logo_thumb_CAR.gif Gordon, Dillon OT/TE RES - 1st RES 16 CFA
logo_thumb_CAR.gif Jackson, Donte CB LCB - 1st Active 18 02 055
logo_thumb_CAR.gif Reid, Eric FS SS - 1st Active 13 01 018
logo_thumb_CAR.gif Turner, Trai OG RG - 1st Active 14 03 092
logo_thumb_CHI.gif Toliver, Kevin CB RCB - 2nd Active 18 CFA
logo_thumb_CLE.gif Beckham Jr., Odell WR RWR - 1st Active 14 01 012
logo_thumb_CLE.gif Landry, Jarvis WR LWR - 1st Active 14 02 063
logo_thumb_CLE.gif Williams, Greedy CB RCB - 2nd Active 19 02 046
logo_thumb_DAL.gif Collins, La'el OG RT - 1st Active 15 CFA
logo_thumb_HOU.gif Mingo, Barkevious DE JACK - 2nd Active 13 01 006
logo_thumb_IND.gif Collins, Jalen CB PS - 2nd PS 15 042
logo_thumb_IND.gif Ware, Spencer FB RES - 3rd RES 13 06 194
logo_thumb_JAX.gif Blue, Alfred RB RES - 2nd RES 14 06 181
logo_thumb_JAX.gif Chark, DJ WR KR - 1st Active 18 02 061
logo_thumb_JAX.gif Fournette, Leonard RB RB - 1st Active 17 01 004
logo_thumb_KC.gif Claiborne, Morris CB SUS - 1st RES 12 01 006
logo_thumb_KC.gif Mathieu, Tyrann FS SS - 1st Active 13 03 069
logo_thumb_KC.gif Williams, Darrel RB RB - 2nd Active 18 CFA
logo_thumb_LAR.gif Brockers, Michael DT LDE - 1st Active 12 01 014
logo_thumb_LAR.gif Whitworth, Andrew OT LT - 1st Active 06 02 055
logo_thumb_MIA.gif Godchaux, Davon DT LDT - 1st Active 17 05 178
logo_thumb_MIN.gif Bower, Tashawn OB RES - 1st RES 17 CFA
logo_thumb_MIN.gif Hunter, Danielle OB LDE - 1st Active 15 03 088
logo_thumb_NO.gif Clapp, Will OC C - 2nd Active 18 07 245
logo_thumb_NYG.gif Shepard, Russell WR LWR - 2nd Active 13 CFA
logo_thumb_NYJ.gif Adams, Jamal SS FS - 1st Active 17 01 006
logo_thumb_OAK.gif Key, Arden OB RDE - 2nd Active 18 03 087
logo_thumb_OAK.gif Moreau, Foster TE TE - 2nd Active 19 04 137
logo_thumb_PHI.gif Mills, Jalen FS RES - 3rd RES 16 07 233
logo_thumb_SEA.gif Pocic, Ethan OC LG - 1st Active 17 02 058
logo_thumb_SEA.gif Woods, Al DE LDT - 1st Active 10 04 123
logo_thumb_SF.gif Alexander, Kwon OB WILL - 1st Active 15 04 124
logo_thumb_TB.gif Battle, John SS PS - 2nd PS 19 CFA
logo_thumb_TB.gif Beckwith, Kendell IB RES - 1st RES 17 03 107
logo_thumb_TB.gif Hawkins, Jerald OT LT - 2nd Active 16 04 123
logo_thumb_TB.gif Minter, Kevin ILB ILB - 2nd Active 13 02 045
logo_thumb_TB.gif White, Devin IB ILB - 1st Active 19 01 005
logo_thumb_WAS.gif Guice, Derrius RB RB - 1st Active 18 02 059

19 minutes ago, LAHORN said:

This game will be decided by a field goal. 

Quite likely it will be a close, severe battle.  I don't have opinions on outcome, don't bet, because the guys who make the lines know far more than I ever will.  I just repeat what I see and read, and know what they quote is the best available opinion.

Their opinion is that LSU has a 66% chance of winning.

It will be much fun to watch.

ENVY you guys in Austin for having this game.  LOVE the way a Top Ten matchup lights up a city.  Last year LSU played 5 Top Ten teams (at the time of the game) and two more ranked teams.  When the game is in BR everything is electric.  By Thurs things on campus are humming.  Fri sees RVs on campus and TV trucks, whatever.  Broadcasts from many places near campus.  Great when GameDay is in town, which you will have.

News from BR:  LSU Coach O was asked if LSU held back anything on D for this game.  He said that LSU had 15 D packages ready but had used only 1 vs GS, base D, which held them under 100 yds total.  (while not a major team and not UTx level players, GS won 10 games last season)  And LSU has a package like UTx for passing situations, 4 or 3 best pass rushers (DL or LB) and the rest DBs.  LSU sends S off the edge a lot, they get lotta sacks.  Have not seen LSU line up against big WRs like UTx but they do practice vs some big guys w speed.  In many ways I suspect the D's will look similar.

Oh, re the comment about Burrow's passing vs a nobody, in his previous game Jeaux threw for almost 400 yds vs a Top Ten opponent.  However that was NOT UTx, don't expect that vs you guys, but he can throw.   He got to LSU in Fall last year and it took him awhile to get in synch w receivers, but he got there by the end of last season.  For best assessment look at what he did later in last season.

Line is now 5.5 and is 6 in many places.  Money line is -245, +195.  Guido thus says LSU has a 69% chance of winning the game.

Wish I could be there but I can't.  However I am looking foward to visiting Austin in 2 mos for the F1 race.

15 hours ago, Soonershooter said:

This isn’t a complicated game to figure out. LSU has the DB’s to take away the receivers and TE and force the QB to use his legs (and everyone knows he likes to leave the pocket before he completes his progression of reads) LSU D-line and linebackers will be drooling when he does. Ehlinger will play right into coach O’s hands. Bad day for BigXII as Texas isn’t back and Saturday everyone will see it’s still Oklahoma and everyone else

The unranked Coogs with a first year coach scored 31 on you.  So do yourself a favor and STFU. 

Since you find things arent complicated and easy to figure out then tell us why your spooners gave up 241 yards on 42 carries to the almighty coogs.  Its not just 5.7 yards per carry, its 5.7 yards per carry.....42 times buddy.   

Enlighten us with your trailer park wisdom.  Hell I could probably rush for 200 on you guys......in a wheel chair.  

2 hours ago, psybj said:

ENVY you guys in Austin for having this game.  LOVE the way a Top Ten matchup lights up a city.  Last year LSU played 5 Top Ten teams (at the time of the game) and two more ranked teams.  When the game is in BR everything is electric.  By Thurs things on campus are humming.  Fri sees RVs on campus and TV trucks, whatever.  Broadcasts from many places near campus.  Great when GameDay is in town, which you will have.

News from BR:  LSU Coach O was asked if LSU held back anything on D for this game.  He said that LSU had 15 D packages ready but had used only 1 vs GS, base D, which held them under 100 yds total.  (while not a major team and not UTx level players, GS won 10 games last season)  And LSU has a package like UTx for passing situations, 4 or 3 best pass rushers (DL or LB) and the rest DBs.  LSU sends S off the edge a lot, they get lotta sacks.  Have not seen LSU line up against big WRs like UTx but they do practice vs some big guys w speed.  In many ways I suspect the D's will look similar.

Oh, re the comment about Burrow's passing vs a nobody, in his previous game Jeaux threw for almost 400 yds vs a Top Ten opponent.  However that was NOT UTx, don't expect that vs you guys, but he can throw.   He got to LSU in Fall last year and it took him awhile to get in synch w receivers, but he got there by the end of last season.  For best assessment look at what he did later in last season.

Line is now 5.5 and is 6 in many places.  Money line is -245, +195.  Guido thus says LSU has a 69% chance of winning the game.

Wish I could be there but I can't.  However I am looking foward to visiting Austin in 2 mos for the F1 race.

Yea I watched his whole presser. He said they they will always have 15 packages but will rely on there base package. And he respect Texas LB and DB way more than I thought he would. He believes that’s the strength of this defense. I actually enjoy listening to the guy. Also doesn’t seem very confident in his O-Line (which I have read elsewhere also). Going to be a battle, I certainly don’t see it being 10 pt swing either way. 

I do do not think burrows is an absolute stud, watched him several times last year because I played him in DK lol but I do believe he will have success throwing the football against UT. 

20 minutes ago, DMAC said:

The unranked Coogs with a first year coach scored 31 on you.  So do yourself a favor and STFU. 

Since you find things arent complicated and easy to figure out then tell us why your spooners gave up 241 yards on 42 carries to the almighty coogs.  5.7 yards per carry on 42 effin carries LOL.   

Enlighten us with your trailer park wisdom.  Hell I could probably rush for 200 on you guys, in a wheel chair.

Yea and there mighty QB was playing a Defense that was ranked 108th last year and projected 112th in 2019..... and gave up 70 pts to army... what a dumbass 

How Sam Ehlinger dragged Texas football back from the depths to national relevance

AUSTIN – During Sam Ehlinger’s first few months on campus at Texas, Longhorn superfan Matthew McConaughey stopped by the facility. Ehlinger, an early enrollee from Austin Westlake High School, stood up and introduced himself to the movie star.

“I’m Sam Ehlinger,” he said.

“I know who you are!” McConaughey shot back. “Lance told me to say hello.”

That would be Lance Armstrong, who is as much of an Austin institution as the food trucks on Rainey Street. It didn’t take long for the quarterback known as Johnny Longhorn to ascend to that level of Austin A-list recognition.

Sam Ehlinger was watching in his pajamas when Vince Young slalomed through the USC defense to deliver the school its last national title in 2005. And he was in the stands with his Longhorn-devout family at the Rose Bowl the last time Texas played for the national title in 2010.

Since that night, Texas has spent nearly a decade wandering the college football wilderness, bogged down by administrative dysfunction, an overmatched coaching hire and systemic arrogance that allowed the program to fade to mediocrity. How far did it slide? Consider that Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State have all won Big 12 titles since Texas’ last one in 2009.

But that near decade of dysfunction appears to be rounding to a close in Austin, and Ehlinger has emerged as the most fitting face of this Texas renaissance.

“He has a keen awareness of his place in Texas history,” Texas coach Tom Herman said. “To go from three losing seasons to bring us to a point where we are nationally relevant, I think that resonates with him more than any other kid that could have played that position.”

Ehlinger is the poster child for a new era at Texas, one that finally transcends the tired trope of whether the Longhorns are really back. This week, Texas finds itself at the center of the college football universe, a place many in Austin have long considered the program’s birthright.

No. 6 LSU plays at the No. 9 Longhorns, and it marks the highest-profile non-conference clash in Austin since Ohio State visited for a No. 1 vs. No. 2 showdown in 2006. While there are myriad reasons for the optimism in Austin – from the modernization of the program under Herman to the precipitous recruiting uptick to aggressive leadership under athletic director Chris Del Conte – there’s a simple commonality linking Texas to its last eras of championship contention.

Texas Longhorns QB Sam Ehlinger and his brother Jake Ehlinger run onto the field before the game against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs on Saturday. (Getty)
View photos

Texas Longhorns QB Sam Ehlinger and his brother, Jake Ehlinger, run onto the field before the game against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs on Saturday. (Getty)
More

Texas finally has a star quarterback, as Ehlinger opened this season with four touchdowns against Louisiana Tech, a year after finishing with 25 touchdown passes and just five interceptions. Last season’s Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia put Sam on the same plane as Vince (Young) and Colt (McCoy), the last two quarterbacks recognizable by just their first names in Austin. His ascent hasn’t been linear, as he’s endured personal tragedy, football struggle and navigated the unrelenting spotlight of one of the sport’s marquee positions.

“The platform with being the Texas quarterback, it's just unbelievable and I'm blessed and honored to represent that role,” Ehlinger told Yahoo Sports. “I'm trying to be as good as Colt was at that, but it’s very tough because he was perfect. … I know no one is perfect, but he seemed to be perfect.”

After leading Texas to a regular-season victory over Oklahoma, a Big 12 title game appearance and the Sugar Bowl victory, Ehlinger couldn’t resist an attempt to exorcise the decade of demons. He famously went viral in the postgame interview by declaring, “Longhorn Nation, We’re BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

In just his junior season, Ehlinger has the chance to become Texas’ Tim Tebow, a dual-threat battering ram with a potential full three-year starting window to live out his childhood dream.

“Sometimes he needs to be reminded that we haven’t accomplished everything that we are setting out to accomplish,” Herman said, speaking generally about Ehlinger’s exuberance. “But you’d always rather have to yank on the leash than kick on the butt.”

The rise of Sam Ehlinger

Tom Herman prefaces one of his early observations about Sam Ehlinger with a qualifier.

“This is going to sound weird,” Herman said with a chuckle. “He's got a presence to him where, if you're sitting down with your back to the door, and he walks through the door, you turn around. You just know he's there. It sounds hokey, but you just do.”

These days, Ehlinger’s presence can be felt everywhere in the Longhorn program and around college football. Herman saw potential in their first meeting, soon after he got the job, as he found Ehlinger already beyond his years. “It felt more like a meeting with a fifth-year graduate transfer than a 17-year-old,” Herman said.

That first meeting came after the firing of Charlie Strong, whom Ehlinger committed to out of high school. Both of Ehlinger’s parents graduated from Texas and he committed to the program amid its backslide under Strong.

Playing during his true freshman season, he struggled behind a porous line and adjusting to a campus where everyone recognized him. The lowlight came when Ehlinger threw a pair of fourth-quarter interceptions in a collapse against Texas Tech to end the regular season in 2017. Herman benched Ehlinger for the start of the Texas Bowl, and delivered him the news this way: “It wouldn't be fair to you to put you out there knowing that you probably thought that you had to play perfectly.”

Shane Buechele got hurt early in the first quarter against Missouri, making way for the start of Ehlinger’s ascent. Ehlinger finished that game 11-for-15 in a 33-16 victory, and the momentum hasn’t slowed.

Ehlinger’s jump from surprise Texas Bowl hero to the quarterback screaming bold proclamations at the Sugar Bowl a year later can be tied to many things. There was an uptick in talent around him, a deep core of receivers and a massively improved offensive line. He credits the continuity and deft touch of quarterback coach and offensive coordinator Tim Beck, who received the brunt of the blame for Texas’ offensive issues in 2017.

“If there is a quarterback that improved more than Sam Ehlinger from 2017 to 2018, then you'll have to prove it to me,” Herman said. “Because I don't think there is one. What those two guys have been able to do together to be able to improve his game, I've never seen it.”

Ehlinger calls Beck’s impact “incredible” on his development, as the continuity and trust has allowed them to continue to build. Last season, Ehlinger went 308 consecutive passes without an interception, as much a credit to his mental aptitude for the position as his physical progress.

This season’s progress includes a noticeable refinement of Ehlinger’s throwing motion, which is discernibly shorter in wind-up and step, making for a quicker delivery. The swagger remains, as Beck sums up that with a story from the fourth quarter of the Sugar Bowl last year.

Beck brought up a play call and Herman said, “Sam doesn’t want to run that. He said to give him the ball and he’s going to score.” While it took until fourth down, Ehlinger did score. “He’s gifted in terms of his drive and intellect and his will,” Beck said. “He has an ‘it’ factor.”

Texas Longhorns QB Sam Ehlinger (11) and head coach Tom Herman look on during the Texas spring game. (USAT)
View photos

Texas Longhorns QB Sam Ehlinger (11) and head coach Tom Herman look on during the Texas spring game. (USAT)
More

Tragedy and triumph

It’s impossible to tell the story of Ehlinger’s rise without weaving in the family tragedy that indelibly shaped his life. When Ehlinger was 14, his father, Ross, died while participating in a triathlon.

The moment changed Sam’s life forever. It altered his perspective and, ultimately, gave him an uncommon maturity that’s helped him navigate the stage he’s ascended to.

“I think the early maturing with my family situation prepared me for the criticism, prepared me for adverse situations down the road,” Ehlinger said. “Ultimately I knew I had gone through something that really couldn't be worse.”

Ehlinger said that he tries his best to stay in the moment and not think about his dad during big games.

“I think when I'm done playing, I'll look back and think about how cool that would be,” he said. “But right now, I'm so focused on what's next. Obviously, there is some emotions when I'm with my mom or my family, but I try not to dive too deep into that because I have a lot more challenges ahead of me."

One of the biggest challenges of Ehlinger’s career comes on Saturday. The local kid has already vaulted himself into the conversation with Texas legends. To seal his spot there, he knows that championships have to follow. But as Ehlinger’s junior season enters the searing spotlight, he’s already helped push Texas onto a new plane. And there’s a chance to fly higher.

“It’s almost silly, right?” Herman said. “How many kids dream of playing a specific position for the team they grew up rooting for? To go from the famous baby picture where he’s hooking them in a Texas onesie to be the face of our program is, I’m sure, even for him a bit surreal.”

That face will appear on Saturday night on the biggest stage of college football. And he no longer needs an introduction, even to Matthew McConaughey.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-ehlinger-texas-football-national-relevancy-172246997.html

Just wait on it: How Joe Burrow's recruitment developed his bond with Texas coach Tom Herman

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow (9) awaits the ball on the snap in the first half against Auburn, Saturday, September 15, 2018, at Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Al.

Advocate staff photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

In the midst of his official visit to Ohio State in December 2014, Joe Burrow sat in a meeting with his family, coach Urban Meyer and offensive coordinator Tom Herman.

Burrow had committed to Ohio State earlier that year, after Herman convinced Meyer to offer Burrow a scholarship. During his recruitment, Burrow didn’t receive many offers to major schools. Herman believed in him, one of the only coaches at Ohio State who did.

As Burrow approached signing day, reports swirled about Houston’s interest in Herman, who had just won the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant. Burrow knew Houston would probably offer Herman the job. The son of a college coach, Burrow understood the profession.

Herman’s phone rang in the midst of Burrow’s visit. Herman stepped out of the room. He never came back. Later, Burrow and his family discovered the call had come from Houston, telling Herman it had sent a private plane for him.

Almost five years have passed, and on Tuesday afternoon, Burrow sat inside LSU’s practice facility as the starting quarterback for the Tigers. He signed with Ohio State out of high school, but he left as a graduate transfer after his sophomore year and came to LSU.

Herman spent two years at Houston before he took the head coaching job at Texas. And now, at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, LSU and Texas will play a game that pushes the winner toward a spot in the College Football Playoff.

“I owe a lot to coach Herman,” Burrow said. “He was the only coach from big-time programs that had any faith in me.”

The spring of his sophomore year at Athens High School in Ohio, Burrow weighed about 160 pounds. He couldn’t throw a football well — at least not well enough to play at Ohio State. But he attended one of the Buckeyes’ camps and caught Herman’s attention, beginning a recruitment that thrust Burrow into year-long limbo.

As Burrow grew and excelled his junior year, scoring 56 touchdowns, Herman decided he wanted him at Ohio State. Meyer hesitated. He never offered a quarterback he had not seen in-person, and he had never watched Burrow.

Herman called Burrow at least once a week, updating him on his recruitment. Burrow felt Herman’s confidence in his ability, not only to play collegiate football, but to play at Ohio State. They developed trust. Meyer sent Herman across the country to scout higher-rated quarterbacks. Everywhere Herman went, he came back knowing he wanted Burrow.

“Just wait on it,” Herman told Burrow. “It's going to come. I really like you. I'm just trying to get everybody else on board.”

After the season ended, Burrow’s coaches arranged throwing sessions twice a week for recruiters. Herman came to one in May, and Burrow threw better than he had in his entire life.

“If they don't offer me after that one,” Burrow said as he walked off the field, “then I'm just not good enough.”

Later that month, on the final day of his junior year, Meyer called Burrow, offering him a scholarship. Burrow’s other offers had come from schools like Iowa State, Vanderbilt and Boston College. He committed that day.

Burrow took his official visit almost seven months later. He had led his high school to the state championship game — a 56-52 loss — and Herman sat in the stands with Burrow’s family. But as they left for their official visit less than two weeks later, the family knew Herman was a top candidate at Houston.

“That trust and that bond had certainly developed between coach Herman and Joe,” Burrow’s father, Jimmy, said. “You commit to the university, to the school. But yet, in reality, you commit to the person who recruited you. That makes it hard when you know there's a possibility he may leave and that's not the guy that's going to be coaching you.”

After Herman took the job at Houston, Burrow reevaluated his decision. He had about two months before national signing day. Ohio State hired Tim Beck as its new offensive coordinator a month later, and Burrow’s father called Meyer, expressing the family’s concerns. They didn’t know Beck.

“Well,” Meyer said, “what do we need to do?”

"We need to get coach Beck into our home," Burrow's father said.

Burrow’s family arranged an in-home visit a few days after Beck took the job, talking with Meyer and a coach they were meeting for the first time. The conversations solidified Burrow's commitment.

After three years at Ohio State, Burrow decided to transfer. He had not played much. He thought about Texas, but he landed at LSU, where he led the Tigers to a 10-win season. After Burrow won Fiesta Bowl Offensive Player of the Game, Herman texted him congratulations.

“I love Joe,” Herman said earlier this week.

Herman, with Beck as his offensive coordinator, has led No. 9 Texas back to the cusp of national prominence. Burrow has command of a revamped offense giving the No. 6 Tigers optimism for a national title run.

When Burrow committed to Ohio State, he never expected to one day play against Herman in a game of such importance. But circumstances changed. They both left Ohio State. And though they never played together, they reached a place they both wanted to be.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2026e6a0-ceaf-11e9-a097-7f71fab34b9d.html

On 9/3/2019 at 12:38 PM, Soonershooter said:

This isn’t a complicated game to figure out. LSU has the DB’s to take away the receivers and TE and force the QB to use his legs (and everyone knows he likes to leave the pocket before he completes his progression of reads) LSU D-line and linebackers will be drooling when he does. Ehlinger will play right into coach O’s hands. Bad day for BigXII as Texas isn’t back and Saturday everyone will see it’s still Oklahoma and everyone else

Aren't ya'll playing Lake Highlands Saturday? lol

Texas DE Malcolm Roach ready for revenge game vs. hometown LSU: 'The fact was they didn't want me'

•  

AUSTIN, Texas — The Baton Rouge native fidgeted on a tall cushioned chair in a suite overlooking Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium while a huddle of reporters asked about his hometown team.

It was a Tuesday afternoon, and in four days, Texas defensive end Malcolm Roach was going to watch the No. 6 LSU Tigers (1-0) run through that burnt orange end zone, fielding a defense riddled with future NFL draft picks.

The circumstance begged the question: Why didn't Roach, a Longhorn team captain and Lott Trophy watch list member, end up with them?

"How serious did you consider them?" a local reporter asked. "Just wasn't home?"

Roach peeked up, rubbing his leg with his right hand.

"The fact was they didn't want me," Roach said.

No, LSU never offered a scholarship to the 6-foot-3, 290-pound Madison Prep Academy graduate, who was a four-time All-State selection before being named honorable mention for Big 12 defensive freshman of the year in 2016.

Former LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron visited him frequently, Roach said, but instead, the Tigers' 2016 recruiting class filled up with future starters like Ed Alexander, Rashard Lawrence and Glen Logan. Others signees, like Caleb Roddy and Sci Martin, eventually transferred from the program.

There were questions at the time about what position Roach would play, his father said, and indeed, Roach has shifted between linebacker and defensive line throughout a career that has included injury and a coaching staff change.

But now, the senior has solidified his spot on the defensive line, where Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando expects Roach to excel in his aggressive, attacking scheme.

Truthfully, Roach, 21, said he never thought he'd be in the "predicament" of wondering why LSU didn't offer him.

His childhood dreams were filled with visions of playing football for Southern, where his father, Mike, was an All-American linebacker, or for Grambling State, where Mike was the defensive coordinator from 1997 to 2004.

But it was Grambling from the beginning. Shortly after Malcolm was born, Mike remembers taking his baby son on the team's road trip to Hampton University in New York, and the coaching staff took turns holding Malcolm on the plane.

Malcolm watched games from the sidelines, sat in on film studies and traveled on coaching clinic tours. He watched Grambling win three straight Southwestern Athletic Conference championships in the early 2000s under former head coach Doug Williams, while his father's aggressive 4-3 defense bombarded opposing offenses.

Young Malcolm sat among gigantic defenders as his father drew out schemes and formations in team meetings.

"Growing up, I had no idea what they were talking about," said Roach, who recorded two tackles, one for a loss, in a 45-14 win over Louisiana Tech last Saturday. "I hear the terminology now, and it's the first thing I think about. I heard that when I was 3-years old, 4-years old (I was in there), not even knowing what I was around."

Malcolm had a rather unconventional path to playing football himself: One of his first sports was actually gymnastics, something he continued all the way into middle school.

Malcolm was a big kid, Mike said, a surprising sight for people to see excel in tumbling exercises and rope climbs from the floor to the ceiling.

Having trouble imagining that?

Try this: Malcolm's first varsity football game was in the fourth grade. 

Yes. The fourth grade. Malcolm was a nine-year letterman.

Mike was the head coach at Southern Lab by then, and since the school included all grades from kindergarten to 12th grade, Malcolm was technically eligible (a rule that has since been limited by the LHSAA to further restrict elementary students from competing in varsity events).

"He played special teams," said Mike, who coached Southern Lab from 2004 to 2010. "If we were blowing somebody out at Southern Lab and if it was a smaller team, we'd play him at a little linebacker. He made a couple tackles."

Oh, and at about 5-foot-5, Malcolm could hold his own.

Mike remembers when former LSU safety Chad Jones moved from New Orleans to Baton Rouge after Hurricane Katrina.

Jones, who won a national championship as a safety (2007), College World Series as an outfielder (2009), and Super Bowl XLVI with the New York Giants, arrived at Southern Lab practice and went through drills as a running back.

"We put Malcolm in to get his chance, and he knocked him down," Mike said. "We had to say, 'Hey, Chad's the best player on the team!'"

Mike had to keep his eye on Malcolm, who would try and sneak into the weight room and lift weights with the high school kids. One time Mike had to issue a warning when he found Malcolm benching the bar: "Man, you're going to stunt your growth. Don't fool with these weights."

Malcolm grew soon enough, and Williams offered him his first scholarship when he was in the ninth grade.

"Well, yeah," said Williams, a former Super Bowl MVP quarterback for the Washington Redskins who coached Malcolm's older brother, also named Mike, from 2011 to 2013. "I didn't know how long I was gonna be there. Little Mike played for me. I told him, 'You're going to play for me too when you get old enough.'"

But by the time Roach left Southern Lab to finish high school playing for his father at Madison Prep, it was clear he was going to be a Division I player with the offers that were rolling in. Among them were SEC schools like Arkansas, Mississippi State, Missouri and Tennessee — a list that made the absence of LSU all the more puzzling.

"I think he wanted to be wanted, I'll say that," Mike said.

Former LSU defensive line coach Brick Haley landed at Texas when the Les Miles staff dissolved after the 2016 season ended, and he shared Malcolm's film with former Longhorns coach Charlie Strong.

Strong invited Malcolm to Texas' summer camps, Mike said, and when the family's schedule filled up with other schools' camps, Strong called to offer a scholarship without ever having seen him in person.

In 34 games and 11 starts over the next three seasons, Malcolm recorded 94 tackles, 13½ tackles for loss and five sacks while playing behind former Big 12 Charles Omenihu.

And after recording five tackles in the 2018 Big 12 championship game against Oklahoma and four more in the Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia, Malcolm has another chance to show his worth.

"I think he wants to have a good game," Mike said. "Show that he can play with the SEC... I think he wants to prove he can play with the best. I think he's proven that already."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_726f712c-cf52-11e9-abc6-c7a3ed6d48ef.html

PSYBJ....you keep saying you are just talking facts and what the odds makers say.

You are working off of a faulty premise. The fact is that the odds makers dont care who wins.The whole point of establishing a point line is to make the betting come out equal so no matter who wins, they make money. A 5 point spread is what they have set for this game to do that...even if it is 6 it makes no matter. It certainly does NOT mean this team or that team has a certain 30 per cent chance....just that the betting set the points. You are correct to say that if the line was zero that more money would be bet on LSU as things now stand. Guido could care less....he aint betting!

In fact you could be correct in saying it is the dumbasses that bet that are setting the point line.

4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

. A 5 point spread is what they have set for this game to do that...even if it is 6 it makes no matter. It certainly does NOT mean this team or that team has a certain 30 per cent chance....just that the betting set the points. You are correct to say that if the line was zero that more money would be bet on LSU as things now stand. Guido could care less....he aint betting!

The 30% chance is based on the money line.  To bet on LSU one must lay 260 to win 100.  Bet on UTx and lay 100 to win 210.  That projects to ~ 70-30% chances to win.

If somebody put up a line today at LSU -3 or UTx +10, Guido would bet.