Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
oldhorn2

Fall Camp

Five QBs Whose Performance Will Make-or-Break Their Team's 2019 Season

Sam Ehlinger, Texas

Texas had been a dormant program before the Austin Westlake product arrived on campus in 2018, with the Longhorns failing to hit 10 wins in eight-straight years from 2010–17. Mack Brown never found a quality replacement for Colt McCoy, and Charlie Strong was doomed in part due to his scuffling quarterback carousel. Tom Herman’s answer at quarterback is clear.

Ehlinger sprung Texas back into the national conversation in 2018 with one of the most efficient QB seasons of the century. He was one of just four quarterbacks in 2018 to throw 25-plus touchdowns with five or fewer interceptions, and he is the second quarterback since 2000 to ever tally 25 passing touchdowns, 15 rushing touchdowns and just five interceptions in a single season. A dominant Sugar Bowl performance set the Heisman hype train in motion, and the Longhorns enter 2019 at No. 5 in SI’s preseason poll.

Ehlinger is the unquestioned engine of the Longhorns’ attack. His physicality as a runner sets the tone for Herman’s smashmouth offense, and his touch as a passer keeps defenses out of eight-man boxes. Ehlinger marries the run game and passing attack beautifully. He is light years ahead of the one-dimensional quarterbacks (Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod Heard) of the Charlie Strong era. Ehlinger is the real deal, and the central reason Texas could win both the Red River Showdown and Big 12 title in 2019.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/09/quarterbacks-sam-ehlinger-jt-daniels-adrian-martinez

Six true freshman to watch in the Big 12

Jake Smith

Recruiting: In June before his senior season, Smith narrowed his list to Texas and USC and he decided to commit to the Longhorns. He was named the 2018 National Gatorade Player of the Year.

Overview: Texas already has a bunch of weapons at receiver, but Smith brings so much versatility to the Longhorns’ offense that an innovative play-caller could easily find ways to get the ball in his hands. Smith posted huge numbers during his high school career, and he can be utilized out of the backfield and the slot and he has tremendous playmaking ability. With a focus on big, outside receivers, Smith could be that devastating slot option to break big plays.

Farrell’s take: Smith could be a 

-type of weapon for Texas, a player who does damage from all different areas. From slants to inside handoffs and reverses, he can also work his way downfield. He’s a Swiss Army Knife, and will be used well.

Jordan Whittington

Recruiting: Whittington committed to Texas over Texas A&Mand many others in the spring before his senior season. Originally from California, UCLA also played a major role in his recruitment.

Overview: Ranked as an athlete, Whittington was at first supposed to play receiver for the Longhorns, but with a depth issue at running back the four-star switched positions and has excelled so far with the Longhorns. 

should handle most of the workload, but Whittington is far too talented not to see the field early.

Farrell’s take: I have always been a big fan of Whittington, because he’s a big athlete who can do a lot of things. Running back will be his first look and he should succeed there, but he can also play wide receiver or even defense if needed. He’s a can't-miss player.

https://n.rivals.com/news/six-true-freshman-to-watch-in-the-big-12

36 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

When he finally settles up with Kansas. Apparently, KU didn't pay what Beatty thought he was still owed on his contract.

A more accurate way of framing is that Kansas doesn't want to pay $3 million owed to Beaty and is using that they learned of recruiting violations during the exit interviews. How convenient,

David Beaty sues Kansas for breach of contract as KU says he potentially committed NCAA violations

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-kansas-coach-david-beaty-sues-school-breach-contract-says-hes-owed-buyout-225419813.html

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I was excited to hear the Thompson committment news and just as fast was devastated to hear that both Sterns and Ingrahm were injured in the scrimmage and both are on crutches.

DOOM!

Initial prognosis was good (on field). We'll have to wait until the full look is done. I think Ingram's is a knee and Sterns is an ankle.

they said Sterns "rolled his ankle".....that can mean anything really, but "tweeking" a knee......that could be anything from 2 weeks to all year....

I swear we need to line the locker room with.....make that the RB room....with chicken feet....make em sleep with a raw egg under the bed.....wave the smoke and feathers on em....a few "hail Mary's"....and maybe just hope for some good luck. We ought to be flush at RB......then we had one go down with a brain anurism.....one that is made of glass(KJ)....one that has been injured(Ingrahm) since he got here....and ALL were damned high talent backs. Now our fate rests with a true freshman that was recruited as a WR/linebacker with out a single carry in college and a guy that has been a hard worker, but not a stellar back so far that fumbles a lot.

These are all good young men that work hard and deserve our respect.....but man alive....we need a good break for a change when it comes to our RB's

38 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

SHA....I am thankful that the "field" exam on these guys did not reveal anything serious, but until they start hauling MRI machines and cat scanners on those golf carts, I am going to just sit here and shiver.

Are you always this optimistic and positive?

9 hours ago, primal defense said:

A more accurate way of framing is that Kansas doesn't want to pay $3 million owed to Beaty and is using that they learned of recruiting violations during the exit interviews. How convenient,

I didn't know that. Mainly because I don't care enough about KU football.

But, thanks for the update.

1 minute ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I didn't know that. Mainly because I don't care enough about KU football.

But, thanks for the update.

I don't blame you. I don't care about KU football either. However since they are trying to slip out of what they owe to Beatty  it is keeping him from helping the Texas football team. I do care about that.

15 hours ago, primal defense said:

I don't blame you. I don't care about KU football either. However since they are trying to slip out of what they owe to Beatty  it is keeping him from helping the Texas football team. I do care about that.

Meh

Beatty can still review film and make suggestions gratis if he and TFH worked it out on the down low.

47 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Meh

Beatty can still review film and make suggestions gratis if he and TFH worked it out on the down low.

I agree but I would like to see him in a position that allows him to recruit. 

I assume in any official position he could recruit on campus when kids visit. 

Amirite?

To recruit off campus he would need to be a coach. 

16 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

I agree but I would like to see him in a position that allows him to recruit. 

I assume in any official position he could recruit on campus when kids visit. 

Amirite?

To recruit off campus he would need to be a coach. 

True, I didn't consider the potential recruiting boost he'd give us. Especially in DFW.

I assume he'd need to be a UT employee to recruit off campus.

I saw a glimpse of a tidbit that said during the scrimmage a few fights broke out....They said Sam and Ossai got into it and Eagles(I think) came flying in to defend his QB.

Anyone else hear about this? Not often the black shirt gets into fights.

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

Anyone have info on this?

Mentioned on the non-recruiting thread that most media twitter accounts including IT noted that it's a walk-on, but that the coaches wanted to chat with the parents first before releasing the kid's name.  Hoping the young man makes a speedy recovery.

5 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Bryan Carrington is not a coach.

Carrington can't recruit off campus. Remember when he was named an asst coach for a short time? Before Hand was hired so he could recruit off campus.