Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Recruiting Board/Thread

2 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Would love to have several of the hungry 3 stars that beat Texas ass on this field this year…… ignorant statement

It's not an ignorant statement at all if you consider what the odds are that a kid ranked 1387th will ever play a significant down of football at Texas. 

4 hours ago, TB14 said:

I watched Red's Hudl and came away very impressed.

Looks bigger than 6 ft. Great at making people miss and several times will just drag defenders. Played QB for his team this year and looked like Roschon on several runs. Not much receiving highlights from this year but a bunch from last year.

Here is his highlight tape from his Junior year for @North Texas Golfer or anyone else skeptical of him to watch.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11891125/5de86b114bb31c0c382bd379

Full disclosure here. First, I don't bother looking at highlight tapes because I am NOT an expert at what to look for. And, second, my comments on what I think about how good this kid or that kid is, are based solely on a kid's ranking and his offer list. That's all I go by.

Not saying it's impossible, but the odds are very much against any kid ranked 1387th ever making a significant contribution to any major program. 

And they are called highlight tapes for a reason 😉

22 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

It's not an ignorant statement at all if you consider what the odds are that a kid ranked 1387th will ever play a significant down of football at Texas. 

JJ Watt was a 2 star recruit. Some 5 stars Texas recruited haven’t played a significant down for Texas. 

5 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Both points are valid but then again maybe they see something other than stars.  Its his job to find dogs

Agree.  What I find confusing is the offer list.  This can be a function of not having the resources/coaching to guide you through the process.  I can't gauge the highlights either, but was it inferior competition?  How did the world miss it?  I am glad the coaches are not being lazy and checking (although likely a referral), but we have been stung before by unknowns that did not work, as well as others, like Colt that obviously did.  At this point, I trust the coaches.  Time will tell

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Good grief, saying that a kid ranked 1387th is a must-have is a huge stretch, lol. 

Sometime kids just get flat out missed by evaluators. He's built like Duvernay and runs alot like him. Looks like he's also the starting PG at his HS. SMU pursued him and that staff knows a little bit about throwing the ball. Not saying he's a must have but I wouldn't turn up my nose at him either.

3 hours ago, dssl said:

In all fairness Colt signed very early while Red will potentially be signing very late. Given his Hudl any guesses as to why he doesn't have any offers from big time programs?

He's been committed for some time.

Remember, everybody thought Colt's recruitment was bogus and we were "settling" at the QB position for a mere 3-star from BFE.

46 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

There are absolutely exceptions to the rule. Cannot argue at with that.

I'm just saying those exceptions are a very small number when compared to the sum total. And are NOT predictable. 

There are a lot more exceptions than you think. There are only 30 5 stars a year and 300 4 stars and 2,000 3 stars. We aren’t getting very many 5 stars and won’t until we produce on the field or our NIL deals are just that much better. We can’t fill our team with 4 stars because of the same reasons. We have to take flyers right now and hope our staff and coaches can develop them. If they do we’ll get better recruits.  But NIL may change the whole calculus. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Good grief, saying that a kid ranked 1387th is a must-have is a huge stretch, lol. 

Do you have some sort of self-imposed requirement that you must be inaccurate in every post?

You may want to get your glasses and re-read the rating. I think you'll find you were only about 1200-1300 above where you were supposed to be. If you're worried about stretches, you can start right there.

Again, watch the clips.

1 hour ago, Brad Usrey said:

Suppose you knew he would starter.  I admit I thought carry clipboard. 

Nobody wanted him. He was just a 3-star from some place called Jim Ned.

So no, I didn't think he would start.

That is precisely the point. You don't know. Just like we didn't know a bunch of 5-stars we've had were complete and utter busts.