Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Recruiting Board/Thread

3 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I get it that Texas didn’t have to go that route back then.  Mack would get 7 out of the top 10 players in the state of Texas.  Jucos are taking a big chance that Mack didn’t have to take.  Snyder did have to take that chance.  Fast forward to today and recruiting is totally different.  Nobody is going to get 7 of the top 10 in Texas anymore.  Kids will go to Ohio St, Oregon, Michigan, Bama, Clemson without batting an eye anymore.  Bag Men? Probably.  I have said numerous times, you have to go Nation wide if you want to win nowadays….. because all the top teams are.  Sark is doing that is one reason why I’m jumping off the nearest bridge yet.  You better be hitting every avenue in today’s times are you are going to get passed. 

If I was Mack and Texas still today, I'd be looking for the 1st clone of Vince I could find, Cam, Vick, Winston, Griffin, Manziel or whoever. Get 2 or 3 of them and plan on them getting hurt and shuffling in the next one.

Mack never knew what to do with Vince, a square peg in a round hole. He finally got out of his way.

3 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Mack didn't recruit JUCO at that point.

He was too worried about them qualifying, or staying eligible once they arrived.

He shouldn't have been too worried with "the fixer" on his staff. When Clem was booted, Mack wasn't far behind him. There was a lot of disinfectant needed around those offices.

4 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Not my argument, and haven’t read much of it but I’d like to interject if I may.  

im referring strictly to OL at the moment too, so keep that in mind.  I can kinda see what he’s saying.  Until you win on the big stages (RRS) and don’t soil the sheets at home (OkSt) you’re not going to draw the big time guys that we need to take the next step.  The biggest need is OL.  What are we struggling to recruit, OL.  This game is won/lost in the trenches.  When your hopes are on a 6th year guy finally having the light bulb turn on, you’ve got problems.  

Your playing with a deck of cards that few would expect you to. Who thought we'd beat OU before the season started? Most thought we'd lose to OSU as well.

So there's really nothing new under the sun here. I think we all thought we'd beat Arkansas. That could be called unexpected I suppose.

But we're a year removed from Rice being a close game. Beating Tech in the final seconds. Losing to TCU, again, at their place.

I don't think things are as bad as we think they are, honestly. We more or less expected to be right where we are and a lot of people are pitching fits about it.

Yeah, there's some woulda, shoulda, coulda which is normal. It hurts to know we could have beat OU and didn't. It hurts to watch it happen again at home against the OSU.

When we said we expected to have 3-4 losses, it was for the very reasons we're seeing right now. Bad OL. LB room short on quality and depth. etc.,

I will say though that I'm convinced the Baylor game will determine a lot about this season and how we look at ourselves.

The point I was trying to make though, in the post you quote, was that it was circular logic, much like a hamster in a cage running the wheel. He runs and repeats the same thing but never goes anywhere. You can't use that logic and apply it to humans or even a collection of humans.

39 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

If I was Mack and Texas still today, I'd be looking for the 1st clone of Vince I could find, Cam, Vick, Winston, Griffin, Manziel or whoever. Get 2 or 3 of them and plan on them getting hurt and shuffling in the next one.

Mack never knew what to do with Vince, a square peg in a round hole. He finally got out of his way.

Oh I’m sure they’re looking but unfortunately those kind are really hard to find and if you do 130 other teams are wanting him too

5 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Oh I’m sure they’re looking but unfortunately those kind are really hard to find and if you do 130 other teams are wanting him too

Texas never attempted to go back to what won the title, McCoy was a poor man's Vince and Sam wasn't in the same league. 

I'm not looking for a Tebow type, but it's hard to forget the ass whoopings we took from Collin Klein and K-State. That might not get you a pro career, but it can damn sure win some games.

I can't help but wonder what Roshon could do.

34 minutes ago, Baron said:

That ship has sailed. Even RoJo admitted as much last summer.

That was before we realized any QB would have zero security in the pocket. It's past time to adapt.

This team bailed on Sherrod Heard after he broke Vince's record. Sometimes I think the big cigars call all the shots.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Should we keep doing what we've been doing? Maybe just a bit of fine tuning?

Yes! We just need to find a way to make it work in the second half.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

That was before we realized any QB would have zero security in the pocket. It's past time to adapt.

This team bailed on Sherrod Heard after he broke Vince's record. Sometimes I think the big cigars call all the shots.

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3178453

*Sark can't even hire who he wants to be a linebackers coach? That place is a disaster

*https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/22/22245341/mike-stoops-job-offer-rescinded-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns

Quote:

Absolutely - This is why we will continue to SUCK
Most of you simply don't get it and are part of the problem. This is EXACTLY why no one can be successful coaching at Texas because no coach is truly given the authority to just do his job and coach football. Some rich UT alumni is always watching in the bushes.waiting to pounce if you irritate him in the slightest bit.

Time after time we see how teams have trouble taking the next step when coaches have to deal with the boosters who think their dollars equal football sense.

Kinda wished they'd hired Stoops, but this level of meddling will kill their record way more than his defense would've

22 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3178453

*Sark can't even hire who he wants to be a linebackers coach? That place is a disaster

*https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/22/22245341/mike-stoops-job-offer-rescinded-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns

Quote:

Absolutely - This is why we will continue to SUCK
Most of you simply don't get it and are part of the problem. This is EXACTLY why no one can be successful coaching at Texas because no coach is truly given the authority to just do his job and coach football. Some rich UT alumni is always watching in the bushes.waiting to pounce if you irritate him in the slightest bit.

Time after time we see how teams have trouble taking the next step when coaches have to deal with the boosters who think their dollars equal football sense.

Kinda wished they'd hired Stoops, but this level of meddling will kill their record way more than his defense would've

This what you come up with for your argument? A post from texaggy? WTF are you thinking? And someone on Butthurt Wescott's site? Not hiring Mike Stoops? Are you effing kidding me? Riley couldn't get rid of him fast enough after Big game Bob quit.

You're grasping at straws now.

7 minutes ago, burkesd23 said:

Admin can we keep these threads recruiting related?  The arguing has gone back and forth long enough, warn and ban if they don’t adhere 

rAmen afraid this board will fade away ilke others.

28 minutes ago, burkesd23 said:

Admin can we keep these threads recruiting related?  The arguing has gone back and forth long enough, warn and ban if they don’t adhere 

Most all of these conversations started on topic, and like most forum threads sometimes the follow through on the subject leads to other related things. It's not a perfect world and it's not a violation. I will take your advice and try to move it to other threads.

Sorry if you have to read through some of it to get the latest updates. At least people are engaged in this forum (as we sit here and watch the Astros). 

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, burkesd23 said:

25 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Most all of these conversations started on topic, and like most forum threads sometimes the follow through on the subject leads to other related things. It's not a perfect world and it's not a violation. I will take your advice and try to move it to other threads.

Sorry if you have to read through some of it to get the latest updates. At least people are engaged in this forum (as we sit here and watch the Astros). 

Yes, please cool off for a while Johnny.

Many people on this board barely read the updates I post without a having to sift through a bunch of back-and-forth that isn't related to recruiting.

I suggest starting a new thread for random stuff and debate if that's your thing, especially since you admitted recruiting bores you.

7 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

Yes, please cool off for a while Johnny.

Many people on this board barely read the updates I post without a having to sift through a bunch of back-and-forth that isn't related to recruiting.

I suggest starting a new thread for random stuff and debate if that's your thing, especially since you admitted recruiting bores you.

You do a fine job, and I don't mean to mess up a rhythm you have had going. (I hope that last one has good hands to go with his height, cause he seems slow, odd no one else recruited him?) I think our little debate session has merit, we can all work to keep it off of this thread. I'm far from the only one.

While recruiting bores me, so does fantasy football and electronic game playing. I like real games, and I think we have one soon. We need a game thread.  (Astro 0-1 top of the 6th).

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

You do a fine job, and I don't mean to mess up a rhythm you have had going. (I hope that last one has good hands to go with his height, cause he seems slow, odd no one else recruited him?) I think our little debate session has merit, we can all work to keep it off of this thread. I'm far from the only one.

While recruiting bores me, so does fantasy football and electronic game playing. I like real games, and I think we have one soon. We need a game thread.  (Astro 0-1 top of the 6th).

No, you're not the only one, but you've been consistent.

As for everyone, I would really, really appreciate it if we stay on topic no matter the thread, and PLEASE read the thread from where you left off.

I am consistently deleting posts that are the exact same thing I posted a page before or even a few posts above, and it's clear updates are being missed or simply not read.

Appreciate it and Hook 'Em.

• Administrators

IT had a less optimistic post on RB Jamarion Miller this evening saying Alabama is very much pushing for a flip.

His family has always been pro-Texas and his mother definitely doesn't like the idea of the distance to Tuscaloosa, but she wouldn't object if that's what he wants to do.

Basically, Texas needs to show some life the rest of the season.

https://247sports.com/player/jamarion-miller-46058624/