Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Recruiting Board/Thread

This is why I don’t care how many stars he has. When a kid comes on campus every staff member can evaluate everything about him. That’s why getting a kid on campus is so important. Hours evaluating a kid in person is so much better than watching a film alot of times against inferior competition. This staff has hundreds of years coaching with some of the greatest coaches of all times. If they were blown away by this kid and four of these coaches were coaching at Alabama last year, then I am definitely good with it. 

17 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Sorry, just can't get excited about a player that is the lowest rated commit we have. And by a significant margin. Our average player ranking in the 247 Composite actually went down with this commit. 

The kid camped at Texas back in June. Both Sark and Kiwaltski (sp?) liked what they saw. His film is pretty good, too.

I am told the low rating is because he didn't hit the camp circuit last year. He did camp at Texas though and obviously impressed.

20 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Sorry, just can't get excited about a player that is the lowest rated commit we have. And by a significant margin. Our average player ranking in the 247 Composite actually went down with this commit. 

Yes, hard to get too excited, but on the other hand I do have faith in the coaches ability to evaluate talent  

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Our ranking didn't. This is still a transition class at this point. The early signing period has changed how we should look at this class.

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Our average went down when the got Colt McCoy. It went down when we got Sam Cosmi. 

42 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

If you watch his film, his most recent film, he reminds me of Michael Huff. Not a lot of polish, but you can see he's got "it". Huff was also a 3-star most had never heard of. And Huff was 6'1 with speed, like Lewis is.

Thanks SHA, I feel good about this young man too, but its nice to hear it from you.

Yes he is a 3* corner who may work out but better chance he doesn't. Hopefully his camp performance makes him under the radar and a steal.

But at the end of the day he is only coming because we missed on about 6 other guys we went after first... That is why it's a bad look. 

Nothing against the player but he wasn't a priority until we whiffed.

14 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

The kid camped at Texas back in June. Both Sark and Kiwaltski (sp?) liked what they saw. His film is pretty good, too.

I am told the low rating is because he didn't hit the camp circuit last year. He did camp at Texas though and obviously impressed.

This reads like Texags 2000 circa. 

6 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Yes, occasionally a 3 star is actually a really good player. 

One other thing we have consistently had the highest recruiting ranking in the Big 12. And we’ve been mediocre.  The Iowa State coach takes 3 stars and coaches the hell out of them. Matt Ruhle did it at Baylor. I just want us to win. I’ll let the coaches figure out what players they want. Leave the hand wringing to you. 

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

One other thing we have consistently had the highest recruiting ranking in the Big 12. And we’ve been mediocre.  The Iowa State coach takes 3 stars and coaches the hell out of them. Matt Ruhle did it at Baylor. I just want us to win. I’ll let the coaches figure out what players they want. Leave the hand wringing to you. 

No hand wringing here. Just having a conversation on a discussion board. Kind of thought that's what we're supposed to do 😉

7 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Yes, occasionally a 3 star is actually a really good player. 

One could say the same for a 4-star or even a 5-star.

I couldn't remember Colt McCoy's year (class), so I went looking. I bumped into Case McCoy's class in 2010. We had no five-stars that year. But our top four, highest ranked four-stars in that class never did a thing at Texas.

As I looked through more classes, there were more examples of that.

I could rip off a list of 3-stars who made it big at Texas. There are many. But that doesn't necessarily mean this Champ Lewis kid is cut from that cloth. It just means it happens more often than you think.

Personally, I like it better than most commits we get because this was based on our own evaluations. If PK liked him, I'm not the guy who will argue.

5 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Personally, I like it better than most commits we get because this was based on our own evaluations. If PK liked him, I'm not the guy who will argue.

Especially since we've seen what happens when coaches lean on 3rd party evaluations. Such as the last few cycles of the Mack era when they were still pulling 4/5 star recruits, but had phoned it in and no longer doing in-person evaluations. Great recruiting cycles with a bunch of square pegs for round holes. 

Changing systems generally requires a bunch of different types of players than currently on the roster. Quantity is important at this phase to make sure they get the players they need. There's little way to know how many of the existing players will excel in the new system. 

In other words... we need all the bodies we can get that the staff has determined can run their offense and defense. Maybe that's a 3 star army right now, but it's better than no army. 

36 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

One could say the same for a 4-star or even a 5-star.

I couldn't remember Colt McCoy's year (class), so I went looking. I bumped into Case McCoy's class in 2010. We had no five-stars that year. But our top four, highest ranked four-stars in that class never did a thing at Texas.

As I looked through more classes, there were more examples of that.

I could rip off a list of 3-stars who made it big at Texas. There are many. But that doesn't necessarily mean this Champ Lewis kid is cut from that cloth. It just means it happens more often than you think.

When I  looked up the 2010 class with Case McCoy on the 247 Composite, it shows that we had 5 five-stars.

Jackson Jeffcoat, Jordan Hicks, Mike Davis, Reggie Wilson, and Darius White

It sucks that these kids are looming away at the moment, but this staff will have the opportunity to state their case in 5 weeks.  Kids will take notice IF Texas wins on the field.  Sure, the NIL will play a part, but winning will raise eyebrows and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of flips.  Maybe not a lot of flips, but there will be some.  If this coaching staff is worth anything, Texas can win with a mixture of 5, 4 and 3* players.  Just finally show a good product on the field (we've said that for the last 8 years).  Hook'em.

3 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

When I  looked up the 2010 class with Case McCoy on the 247 Composite, it shows that we had 5 five-stars.

Jackson Jeffcoat, Jordan Hicks, Mike Davis, Reggie Wilson, and Darius White

Man, Jordan Hicks was robbed of a great college career due to injuries.  Jackson never lived up to potential (probably coaching related).  Same can be said for Mike Davis.  He had a ton of potential, but man did he drop a lot of balls.