Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

****Texas @ KU Weekend Baseball Thread-SU 1 PM ESPN+ ****

4 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Do you think last year was the fluke or is this year the fluke?

And I don’t think injuries and youth can explain how we are falling apart this year. That’s an easy out and I’m not buying it.

I don’t have to wait until next year to question him. My God you have seen us play first hand. We are god awful and he is a part of it.

I think this year is the fluke to be honest with you Bear. I agree this season has turned into the most god awful shit show I have ever seen. A lot of that is on Pierce, the rest is on the roster. There isn’t anybody in that dugout that is built to grab this team by the throat and drag it across the line. I’m not making excuses for the staff but losing late makes me question the size of the balls in the locker room. 

At least I had Beep Baseball this weekend... we went 2-2 against the number 3, 5, 6, & 18 teams in the country. Including a last inning 3 run rally to beat number 6. 

1 hour ago, Johnstark23 said:

I think this year is the fluke to be honest with you Bear. I agree this season has turned into the most god awful shit show I have ever seen. A lot of that is on Pierce, the rest is on the roster. There isn’t anybody in that dugout that is built to grab this team by the throat and drag it across the line. I’m not making excuses for the staff but losing late makes me question the size of the balls in the locker room. 

At least I had Beep Baseball this weekend... we went 2-2 against the number 3, 5, 6, & 18 teams in the country. Including a last inning 3 run rally to beat number 6. 

I hope you’re right about this year being the fluke. As Joey pointed out he’s only had one full class of recruits. I think he also gets tagged with about half of the prior class but I don’t want to split hairs. Don’t recall exactly how last year’s class was ranked and those things are probably not very accurate for baseball anyway.  But so far I’m not impressed with his evaluation’s. 

Maybe we are just snake bit. Must’ve been one of those African mofo vipers where if you get bit, you die.

I don’t believe there is anything to be gained by joining in with a pitchfork and torch here.  Am I frustrated? Of course. You sit and put out play-by-play for just about every game this season and witness what we witnessed the last month and a half and tell me if you’re frustrated.  There are not many answers that I can provide anyone here that will satisfy what you’re all looking for.  This season is rapidly approaching its end, and it's probably a good thing. 

Unlike Bear, I will say that youth and injuries played a significant part of this second half collapse. Nobody can look at this team with projected lineup in January and by February say the losses to injury (Ham and DJ, and a stretch w/o Kennedy and Peter) were not significant to the way the team played. It affected depth, lineup versatility options and production.  It forced a backup C to be a full-time guy. It took precious offensive production out of the lineup.  It took defensive options and rotation off the table. 

Were there other issues?  I’m sure there were. I’m not going to point fingers, name names or get into a back-and-forth on speculation.  That’s not who I am or what I’m about.  I will say that there will be some turnover on the roster for next year and an influx of some solid young talent. The players you see next season will be very different than this year. 

Bear, I get your frustration.  You’re not alone. Question Pierce as much as you’d like. He is the leader of the team and the responsibility ultimately falls on his shoulders. He’d tell you the same. If he had the answers, he is a straight shooter and would no doubt lay it out there. Maybe after the season there will be some interviews with him that may shed some light on a few things. Until then, the only thing that getting worked up over this does is raise one’s blood pressure and bar tab. ;)

Very well said, Jeff.

So our eyes turn to recruiting, which shows us a glimpse of the future and brings hope. I understand football recruiting, but baseball is a bit different. So I'll ask, will this season's performance have an affect on the recruiting class in the end? Does baseball negative recruit as much as football does?

45 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Very well said, Jeff.

So our eyes turn to recruiting, which shows us a glimpse of the future and brings hope. I understand football recruiting, but baseball is a bit different. So I'll ask, will this season's performance have an affect on the recruiting class in the end? Does baseball negative recruit as much as football does?

Thanks. 

Regarding recruiting, sure, negative recruiting occurs, but I don’t believe it’s near the level of football. Baseball is a much more tight knit community among coaches. While a small bit may occur, it is not rampant. 

Texas already has its 2019 class signed. The bigger impact on signing classes is the amateur MLB draft in June. IMO, Texas doesn’t get Baty. I’m probably 75/25 that they get Faltine. Outside of that, I believe the rest show up to The 40.  I broke it down earlier in this thread. @Donald Boyles is also a tremendous asset on HS. He has some great insight on a lot of these recruits because he spends an inordinate amount of time traveling around and taking photos and videos of these players. 

7 hours ago, joeywa said:

Thanks. 

Regarding recruiting, sure, negative recruiting occurs, but I don’t believe it’s near the level of football. Baseball is a much more tight knit community among coaches. While a small bit may occur, it is not rampant. 

Texas already has its 2019 class signed. The bigger impact on signing classes is the amateur MLB draft in June. IMO, Texas doesn’t get Baty. I’m probably 75/25 that they get Faltine. Outside of that, I believe the rest show up to The 40.  I broke it down earlier in this thread. @Donald Boyles is also a tremendous asset on HS. He has some great insight on a lot of these recruits because he spends an inordinate amount of time traveling around and taking photos and videos of these players. 

Thanks for your work this season.

15 hours ago, joeywa said:

Thanks. 

Thanks for the explanation. 

You really should be on LHN doing the games. You would be better than Galindo and obviously know the team and history. Having spoken with you in person, your voice is certainly fit for broadcast. 

4 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

You really should be on LHN doing the games. You would be better than Galindo and obviously know the team and history. Having spoken with you in person, your voice is certainly fit for broadcast.  

So you're saying @joeywa has a face for radio?  :lol: