Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
joeywa

****Texas @ KU Weekend Baseball Thread-SU 1 PM ESPN+ ****

T6

Kennedy gets his 2nd knock of the day with a 1-out single to RF

Todd F9

Zubia 6-3, play was reviewed, but play stands as called.

Headed B6, horns trail 0-1

In all of my years following Texas Baseball, I have never seen a collapse like this.  There are no words to explain what has happened.  It seems like every game there's a new and improved way to lose.  

The Horns are all but done for the season.  This, in all likelihood, will be the last road trip of the year for Texas. 

1 hour ago, joeywa said:

In all of my years following Texas Baseball, I have never seen a collapse like this.  There are no words to explain what has happened.  It seems like every game there's a new and improved way to lose.  

The Horns are all but done for the season.  This, in all likelihood, will be the last road trip of the year for Texas. 

This team has given up. Pierce will have his hands full stemming this tide. Too easy to slide into not caring, I played on a team like that in high school.

Edit: Actually this team got beat up and quit a while back.

3 hours ago, joeywa said:

When I stated "We suck" earlier I wanted to be proven wrong, I really did.

5 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

He ain’t incredible or anything near to it until he recruits better. This team doesn’t have much talent.

He has had 1 full recruiting class Bear. This year’s freshmen are his first on campus. 

10 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Wasn’t last year’s class his?

Pierce was hired on June 29, 2016.

His first recruiting class, (labeled 2017 class,) was inked to LOIs in November of 2016, so he really didn't have a full class.  It was a 5-month recruiting cycle that he had to navigate through, with most top players already verbally agreed to play at other schools.  These players would not be on the field until the Spring of 2018, (enrolled in Fall 2017.) 

The 2017 class was as follows:

• Kam Fields
  • Landon Leach (drafted-never made it to campus)
  • Bennett Inoff (DNP in 2018, did not make the final roster in 2019-no longer with the team)
  • Cole Quintanilla (had TJ his SR year and didn't play in 2018-RS)
  • Tristen Lutz (Augie commit; drafted-never made it to campus)
  • Turner Gauntt (DNP in 2018; RS, cut in Spring 2019, but recalled when Caston Peter was injured)
  • Donny Diaz (JUCO; had TJ in Sept of 17, missed 2018 season)
  • Blake Pflughaupt (JUCO; drafted-never made it to campus)
  • Masen Hibbeler (JUCO)
  • Matteo Bocchi (JUCO)

So of his ten 2017 class signees,

• 7 made it to campus
  • 3 were drafted by MLB and didn't make it to campus
  • 4 were JUCO guys to fill voids
  • 2 had TJ and missed their first season and were redshirted (Diaz & Quintanilla)
  • 2 others DNP in 2018 and were redshirted (Gauntt & Inoff)  Both did not make the final roster in 2019, but Gauntt was brought back after Caston Peter was injured.
  • Only 3 of the 10, Hibbeler, Fields & Bocchi, got playing time during the 2018 season

His 2018 class was signed in November of 2017, enrolling in Fall of 2018, eligible for Spring 2019 (Current season)

The 2018 class is as follows:

• Mason Bryant (Played as FR)
  • Coy Cobb (Played as FR)
  • Justin Eckhardt (Missed his FR year due to TJ)
  • Kolby Kubichek (Played as FR)
  • Ty Madden (Played as FR)
  • Owen Meaney (Played as FR)
  • Jack Neely (Played as FR)
  • Justin Quinn (Did not make the final roster-playing at a JUCO now)
  • Simeon Woods (drafted-did not make it to campus)
  • Thomas Burbank (Has not played yet this year, likely RS)
  • Alec Carr (Did not make the final roster-playing at a JUCO now)
  • Peter Geib (Played as FR)
  • Bryce Reagan (Played as FR)
  • Korey Holland (drafted-did not make it to campus)
  • Eric Kennedy (Played as FR)
  • Chase Roberts (Has not played yet this year, likely RS)
  • Lance Ford (Played as FR)
  • Caston Peter (Played as a FR)

2018 Class is the first full class for Pierce & Co had 18 recruits

• 2 were drafted by MLB
  • 1 will miss the 2019 season with TJ
  • 2 did not make the final 2019 spring roster as FR and have transferred to JUCOs
  • 2 have not played this season and will likely RS
  • 11 have seen time this season as true freshmen, with Ford, Kennedy and Madden being starters.

For next season, Pierce & Co's 2019 Class is as follows:

• Silas Ardoin (C)
  • Cameron Constantine (C)
  • Peyton Powell (C)
  • André Duplantier (RHP/IF)
  • Trey Faltine (RHP/UTIL)
  • Jared Southard (RHP)
  • Will Swope (RHP/IF)
  • Peter Hansen (LHP)
  • Chase Lummus (LHP)
  • Sam Walbridge (LHP)
  • Austin Wallace (LHP/OF)
  • Brett Baty (IF)
  • Brenden Dixon (IF)
  • Douglas Hodo (OF)
  • Colton Rathjen (OF)
  • Tristan Bayless (LHP-JUCO)

The 2019 class have all signed LOIs.  Baty will likey be drafted and not make it to campus, unless something crazy happens. 

I know this is long, but I hope it helps out. 

Yes it does help. So I will amend my statement by saying he needs more time. But it doesn’t change my basic point that he cannot be considered incredible until he recruits our ass out of this mess.

He also has to do a better job of teaching fundamentals and a better job of running our offense from the dugout or as third base coach. He was lousy at both this year. 

4 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Yes it does help. So I will amend my statement by saying he needs more time. But it doesn’t change my basic point that he cannot be considered incredible until he recruits our ass out of this mess.

He also has to do a better job of teaching fundamentals and a better job of running our offense from the dugout or as third base coach. He was lousy at both this year. 

Understand I am not saying he's 'incredible.'  Those were the words of CDC. 

I agree he needs more time.  Let's revisit this after next season, and look at what has happened.  Starting and/or playing 11 freshmen this season, (6 pitchers and 5 position players, with 2 as everyday starters in Kennedy and Ford,) should speak volumes about what he is dealing with.  Nobody wants to hear the 'youth' excuse, but when 2 of your top 3 hitters are frosh, it should tell you something.  

20 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

And PS

Stop letting our guys swing away (or bunt) at two and oh. 

Oh how I wish I had that kind of input. My phone hasn’t been ringing, even though it’s on throughout most every game. :D

49 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Texas has been shutout 6 times and has shutout the opponent only 2 times this year. Look at the above stats I provided. Even with freshmen, you'd expect better stats than those.

It’s no secret that everyone “expected” better. The 2nd half of this season has been disappointing.