Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****NIT 2nd Round - TEXAS vs. XAVIER GAME THREAD*****

USATSI_12348055_168380999_lowres.jpg

The Longhorns are back in action on Sunday as they host the Xavier Musketeers at the Frank Erwin Center in the second round of the NIT. Sunday's matchup will mark the 5th time in history these two teams have met on the hardwood, with the last two taking place in the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16.  The Longhorns defeated the Musketeers 102-90 in 1990, and Xavier topped Texas 79-71 in 2004.

Texas won its first-round NIT matchup against South Dakota State on Tuesday 79-73. Senior Forward Dylan Osetkowski poured in a career-high 26 points against the Jackrabbits.

What:  TEXAS LONGHORNS (17-16, 8-10 Big 12) vs. XAVIER MUSKETEERS (19-15, 9-9 Big East)
Venue: Frank Erwin Center
Time: 3:00 PM CST
Television: ESPN
Last Meeting: Xavier defeated Texas 79-71 (March 26, 2004)
All-Time Series Record:  Texas and Xavier are 2-2 all-time against one another

Updated NIT Bracket:

NITBrack_32419.jpg

Advertise on HornSports

Solid effort thus far.  Horrible referee action leaving time on the clock after Texas missed shot last possession.  Should have run the clock out as it wasn’t a shot clock violation.  Led to a crappy defensive play, or lack of defense, on a Hail Mary heave from the end line that gave Xavier a last second 2.  

As I have abandoned the Texas baseball game I now am the only person not at the drum watching the Horns hoops game.  Pissing away a lead with crappy defense and shooting as usual here.  The shitshow continues.  Where is CDC this weekend?  Is he watching hoops?  Inquiring minds need to know.

1 hour ago, texbound said:

I'm torn, on one hand I want to watch some more basketball, but on the other I want this shitshow to be over.  I'm afraid if Texas wins the NIT then Shaka will stick around.

Shaka will be back with this projected starting 5:

PG - Coleman Jr
SG - Ramey So
SF - Febris Jr
Stretch F - Hepa So
C - Simms Jr 

Also a lot of experienced depth.  Get used to the idea.  Hey, they played really hard today. 

15 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

PG - Coleman Jr
SG - Ramey So
SF - Febris Jr
Stretch F - Hepa So
C - Simms Jr 

Also a lot of experienced depth.  Get used to the idea.  Hey, they played really hard today. 

I’m hoping the Baker kid can move into the lineup next season.  Hope he isn’t overrated, I haven’t seen him except random highlights from HS ball on Austin local news.

Will need a presence in the middle as Hepa is a wing who launches threes.  Ramey, Febres, and Coleman have that covered and we need some muscle down low.  Hamm with potential.  Of course this just means we need someone to actually coach these guys next season!

16 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

PG - Coleman Jr
SG - Ramey So
SF - Febris Jr
Stretch F - Hepa So
C - Simms Jr 

Effort is not the problem. We have better players and we gave a good effort and were still taken into overtime.

We should not be forced to “get used to” incompetent coaching.

2 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Effort is not the problem. We have better players and we gave a good effort and were still taken into overtime.

...and then you watch Tech...  and dream. 

Just now, MikeV73 said:

That really hurts to have to say that

Yes it does.  Sad thing is I’ll be pulling for them. I like to watch well coached basketball from Texas. So long as it isn’t from collie station or Waco. 

2 hours ago, Bear19 said:

My opinion is that Shaka will be back.   Don’t misconstrue what I said as support or opposition.  Shaka will be back with a very talented group that he recruited.  Next year will make or break him at Texas.  

9 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

My opinion is that Shaka will be back.   Don’t misconstrue what I said as support or opposition.  Shaka will be back with a very talented group that he recruited.  Next year will make or break him at Texas.  

I swear I heard that last year. lol

Watched the entire game, and that might have been the hardest this team has played all season. My position has not changed, but I'll give Shaka credit for this team not quitting. They may make some terrible, mind numbing decisions (especially looking at you, Kerwin) but they played hard. Against my better judgment, I'm going to Wednesday night's game.

And yes, unless some other school hires him away (LOL...not happening), Shaka will be back next season.