Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

NCAA Selection Sunday Thread

1 hour ago, CharcoalPuppy said:

Would anyone be interested in Billy Donovan if the Thunder parted ways with him?  

Yes but I don’t see that happening. But yea I’ll take a 2-time national champion coach. 

1 hour ago, CharcoalPuppy said:

Would anyone be interested in Billy Donovan if the Thunder parted ways with him?  

How appealing is our basketball program to a top notch coach?  

I know our athletic department can pay and that is a big consideration.... but quite frankly, the fan support embarrasses me at times.   I think DelConte can probably do something about this, but as of right now the apathy would certainly factor into a coach like Donovan who could likely choose anywhere he wants to coach at the college level.  

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

I know our athletic department can pay and that is a big consideration.... but quite frankly, the fan support embarrasses me at times.   I think DelConte can probably do something about this, but as of right now the apathy would certainly factor into a coach like Donovan who could likely choose anywhere he wants to coach at the college level.  

Getting rid of Smart and replacing him with a competent coach would go a long way in improving fan support.

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

Yes but I don’t see that happening. But yea I’ll take a 2-time national champion coach. 

It's a long shot, but if the Thunder don't make it past the first round of the playoffs for the third time in a row, it could be more likely.  It gets Texas out of paying a buyout as well.

13 hours ago, Bear19 said:

From what little I have read I think he only had one really good season. And I think the word “havoc” was media generated.

Actually I’m certainly not an expert regarding Smart’s history. But I wish we had never hired him.

The Patterson Curse lives on with Shaka's shit-shows....

CDC can't be happy with his performance.

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

C'mon, Dee

We're the "burnt orange sleeping GIANT" of NCAA hoops. Kinda like aggy in every sport.

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

EXTREMELY appealing, remember guys like LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Durant were here, so a coach knows that Texas can be an easy sell to a recruit, the current program will take a full rebuild, its time for CDC to make a change before irreparable damage is done to the brand, if the buyout is what is stopping them from pulling the trigger, they have the wrong coach...What if we are in this same position next year, how much did we save $$$ ? make the move CDC

16 hours ago, Bear19 said:

From what little I have read I think he only had one really good season. And I think the word “havoc” was media generated.

Actually I’m certainly not an expert regarding Smart’s history. But I wish we had never hired him.

Well yeah, but it was generated because of the style of play Shaka employed. He admittedly did not bring that with him here. He's never said why though.

Time to move on. Bring in the next big thing.

59 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

EXTREMELY appealing, remember guys like LaMarcus Aldridge and Kevin Durant were here, so a coach knows that Texas can be an easy sell to a recruit, the current program will take a full rebuild, its time for CDC to make a change before irreparable damage is done to the brand, if the buyout is what is stopping them from pulling the trigger, they have the wrong coach...What if we are in this same position next year, how much did we save $$$ ? make the move CDC

I'm not sure, but I've heard it would be a $9 million buyout next year. I could be wrong.

So you spend that cash and then have to muster up more cash for the next big thing. Yea, Texas can be an easy sell. But because its Texas, you're expected to pay more, too.