Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Commitment Spotlight: Bru McCoy

16 hours ago, texasdalton said:

Yeah our defense is going to be a highlight of this team. I think our weakest unit will be LB. 

Our DL is going to turn some heads this season.

hurts isn’t going to be able to air it out against us and our DL is going to put a hurting on him.

This is an interesting take since we lost our entire front 7.  I hope you’re right.  

17 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I’d be surprised if Bru or Jordan Whittington play defense. Dudes like them don’t come along that often. We want them touching the ball as much as possible. Just my take 

The pitch to Bru was to get him involved as a pass rusher on passing downs. Time will tell if that ends up being the case. I think Whittington will be a full time offensive guy. 

17 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I’d be surprised if Bru or Jordan Whittington play defense. Dudes like them don’t come along that often. We want them touching the ball as much as possible. Just my take 

It would be great to have Bru  rush the QB especially in the 4th quarter in a close games on key plays. It drives me crazy especially in the 4th quarter when the other team's QB has all the time in the world.

Bru looks like his body can take playing in college full time unlike Keaontay.

First, I feel confident that Bru McCoy is an outstanding player who will be successful at whatever position that he plays. I do have a question about the designation of "athlete", especially for a two way player like McCoy and how those ratings are determined.

If he only played offense or only played defense, would he be rated as a 5 star at either LB or WR?  Or could he be a high 4 star offensive player and a high 4 star defensive player, but since he plays both ways, it adds up to a 5 star athlete? 

I read somewhere that he projects better at LB, but since he will touch the ball more on offense, he would help the team more there. Does that mean that he could be a 5 star LB and a high 4 star WR? 

It's just the term "athlete" doesn't give me a solid picture and being a bit obsessive/compulsive I search for firmer ground to stand on. 

1 hour ago, Coot said:

First, I feel confident that Bru McCoy is an outstanding player who will be successful at whatever position that he plays. I do have a question about the designation of "athlete", especially for a two way player like McCoy and how those ratings are determined.

If he only played offense or only played defense, would he be rated as a 5 star at either LB or WR?  Or could he be a high 4 star offensive player and a high 4 star defensive player, but since he plays both ways, it adds up to a 5 star athlete? 

I read somewhere that he projects better at LB, but since he will touch the ball more on offense, he would help the team more there. Does that mean that he could be a 5 star LB and a high 4 star WR? 

It's just the term "athlete" doesn't give me a solid picture and being a bit obsessive/compulsive I search for firmer ground to stand on. 

Or maybe he's a coach's dream and is a 5* either way. 

My wife puts a little twist on the OCD. She says I have a depressive repulsive disorder. Dang.

4 hours ago, Coot said:

I do believe he projected slightly better as a linebacker.   But Bru made it clear that he wants his primary position to be WR.  Anyone who would have recruited him as a LB simply would not have been in the picture.  

Biggest concern for each Top 25 team

No. 8 Texas: Youth on defense

251.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Although the Longhorns flashed their defensive capability in the Sugar Bowl win over Georgia, coordinator Todd Orlando's defensive unit will be relatively inexperienced next season with eight starters gone. Safeties Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster have star potential and the rest of the depth chart will be loaded with former blue-chippers. Still, much of the Texas defense will have plenty to prove in 2019. -- Trotter

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25788585/biggest-concern-top-25-team

My credibility was on the line with this kid.  I boasted on another site that a 5^ was coming and then he signed with USC, shocking my source and a few others.  My other guy said not to worry, but we worried.  A lot.

Bets were made and now I must foot a bill at Taste of Texas for 11 people.  I will learn to keep my big mouth shut and trust a little more. 

5 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

My credibility was on the line with this kid.  I boasted on another site that a 5^ was coming and then he signed with USC, shocking my source and a few others.  My other guy said not to worry, but we worried.  A lot.

Bets were made and now I must foot a bill at Taste of Texas for 11 people.  I will learn to keep my big mouth shut and trust a little more. 

DOC:  Ultimately you ended up being correct.  So maybe you should split the bill..... 

32 minutes ago, 605Longhorn said:

DOC:  Ultimately you ended up being correct.  So maybe you should split the bill..... 

Sadly, I turned on my friend like the rotten and blatantly coward that I am and said he lied - the kid is signed, sealed and delivered to SC and I would bet on it.

Afterward, I asked him if he would still provide me with Texas info and he said: "and miss the opportunity for more paid for meals?"   He delights in rubbing it in.  I delight in beating his ass on the golf course.  :)

6 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Taste of Texas? Am I invited, Doc? Lol.