Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas falls to TCU 65-61

Harrison Wier

Texas tried to make this one interesting in the end, but no dice. The Horns had a chance with 12 seconds left, and true to form had an ugly possession end in an off balance three from Mitrou-Long hit the top of the backboard. 

Texas didn’t have great effort/energy in this game. It was apparent in the first half when Courtney Ramey failed to box out and gave up a put back slam on a missed three-pointer by TCU. 

Roach and Hayes gave solid efforts, but it wasn’t enough in the end. Texas was playing from behind all game, and a lack of defensive rebounds and offensive production led to their demise. Can’t fail to score a point for 6:00 at a time and expect to win. The Longhorns fall to 11-8 overall and 3-4 in Big XII play. Shaka Smart’s seat is getting warmer. 

Final Stats:

Roach II: 15 pts, 3 ast, 3-8 3pt

Hayes: 10 pts, 6 reb, 5 blk 

Ramey: 10 pts, 5 ast, 2-5 3pt

TCU had 6 fouls each half with 3 of those in each half being "fouls to give" in the waning seconds to disrupt Texas' offense. At least twice in the 2nd half alone a TCU rebounder went "over" Hayes (think about that) to get a rebound w/no foul called. A Texas player "stood" behind a TCU player and was called for over the back. One time a Texas shooter was knocked down, no foul. Shortly after, a cheap foul was called on Texas sending TCU to the line. Texas shot a total of 7 FTs the whole game, TCU shot 18 which was the difference in the game. Seems we know where the NFL crew that called the Saints vs Rams game are now working.

Texas was 24-58 from the field, 9-26 from the 3s.

TCU was 24-59 from the field, 5-20 from the 3s.

Be that said, Texas is missing too many wide open 3s. Make those and it opens  the lane. They also go on these long streaks without making a basket which doesn't help either. I would also like Smart to show more emotion with the refs more, even get a TF, when blatant bad calls are made. 

I doubt Texas will fire Smart (will cost too much money) but his seat is getting warmer.

Side Note - TCU's court has to be one of the ugliest courts ever!

Oh yeah, and Shaka decided to leave Coleman on the bench at the end of the game. Glad we had Eli out there instead, who made a number of boneheaded plays last night. His three bouncing off of the top of the backboard at the end of the game was truly fitting. That said, @tejasrulz is spot on with the breakdown. Between all of the bricked 3's, long scoring droughts during games, and lack of development overall, my level of frustration has maxed out.

43 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

TCU had 6 fouls each half with 3 of those in each half being "fouls to give" in the waning seconds to disrupt Texas' offense. At least twice in the 2nd half alone a TCU rebounder went "over" Hayes (think about that) to get a rebound w/no foul called. A Texas player "stood" behind a TCU player and was called for over the back. One time a Texas shooter was knocked down, no foul. Shortly after, a cheap foul was called on Texas sending TCU to the line. Texas shot a total of 7 FTs the whole game, TCU shot 18 which was the difference in the game. Seems we know where the NFL crew that called the Saints vs Rams game are now working.

Texas was 24-58 from the field, 9-26 from the 3s.

TCU was 24-59 from the field, 5-20 from the 3s.

Be that said, Texas is missing too many wide open 3s. Make those and it opens  the lane. They also go on these long streaks without making a basket which doesn't help either. I would also like Smart to show more emotion with the refs more, even get a TF, when blatant bad calls are made. 

I doubt Texas will fire Smart (will cost too much money) but his seat is getting warmer.

Side Note - TCU's court has to be one of the ugliest courts ever!

Everything you pointed out can be said about each of Smart’s seasons. I’m disappointed we haven’t seen any progress. The guys play hard for Smart but at some point the program has to show improvement. I was hoping things would get better this year but it’s more of the same. 

P.S. I was at the game in Ft Worth and the court is even worse in person.

Which of these is not like the other?

David Pierce:

2017: 39-24 (11-12)

2018: 42-23 (17-7); Big 12 Title, CWS Appearance

Tom Herman:

2017: 7-6 (5-4); Texas Bowl Win

2018: 10-4 (7-2); Big 12 Game, Sugar Bowl Win

Shaka Smart:

2015-2016: 20-13 (11-7); NCAA 1st Round

2016-2017: 11-22 (4-14)

2017-2018: 19-15 (8-10); NCAA 1st Round

2018-2019: 11-8 (3-4) so far...