Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Harrison Wier

Casey Thompson reportedly staying at Texas

Casey Thompson is taking his name out of the NCAA Transfer Portal and will remain at Texas. The freshman quarterback is in line to compete with freshman Roschon Johnson for the No. 2 spot behind Sam Ehlinger in 2019. Shane Buechele and Cam Rising still have intentions to transfer. Would be great news for the Longhorns and add depth to a thinning QB room. 

1/17 UPDATE: Thompson took to Twitter to announce he has not made any decision, refuting the report.

1/18 UPDATE: Thompson reportedly has informed the staff that he’s staying, per Anwar Richardson. Waiting for an official announcement from Casey.

1/19 UPDATE: a UT spokesman confirmed that Thompson is indeed staying at Texas.

11 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I believe Casey will be the backup while Roschon redshirts.

That makes sense for mop up duty. However, if Sam were to miss some games because of injury then I would hope the coaches would play Roschon if he's the better QB.

It doesn't sound like the way Rochon is thinking.

While Johnson has always admired Ehlinger’s game dating back to his high school years at Austin Westlake, he’ll be coming into the Forty Acres ready to compete for the starting spot. The competitiveness boiling in Johnson’s vein’s won’t allow him to arrive in Austin with any other mindset.

“I’m not shying away from any competition,” Johnson said. “I mean, I want it just as bad as [Sam] does. When I get there I’m going to focus on myself and what I can contribute to the whole team.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2018/12/19/18147487/roschon-johnson-signs-texas-longhorns-recruiting-2019-early-signing-day

I understand what Thompson and Rising are thinking. Sam is going to be here for most likely two years. Three years total is a long time to ride the pine.

what they don’t seem to realize is that Sam has a high probability of getting injured the way he plays. I hate that it’s true but with that said they will most likely be handed the reigns early.

i pray Johnson picks things up very quickly because we will need him sometime next season.

I am a little concerned with Roschon's arm strength, when I saw him in the UA All American game, his ability to throw an out seems to be a struggle. He reminds me of Jerrod Heard as a QB. We'll see how it pans out but I see him switching to WR eventually. 

19 minutes ago, shotime73 said:

So who in the hell came out with the report in the first place if this was refuted?

I think the kids tell something to someone behind closed doors but it gets out; when it does, I think players feel things get out of their control,I think the report is legit but the info should not have gotten out.

19 minutes ago, jrcruz1026 said:

I think the kids tell something to someone behind closed doors but it gets out; when it does, I think players feel things get out of their control,I think the report is legit but the info should not have gotten out.

Yeah I agree there. It should have never gotten out in the first place

3 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Good ole Chip Brown of course.  Chipper may need to find another line of work based on all his F ups.

Next question is who told Chip?  That is a bad leak in the program if this idiot is getting inside information.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Thompson's issue is finding a landing place. Limited opportunities have arose so the waiting game is being played.

Give him time, let him sort this out. I think he'll be back.

I saw over at BON that Utah, Oregon, UCLA, Arkie and Miami had contacted him.Three of them have already gotten a QB to transfer to them, one has a future 1st rounder and the other has a 4* recruit from Texas.