Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

Jalen Hurts chooses Oklahoma

The highly-coveted grad transfer from Alabama has decided to take his talents to Norman in 2019. This is an interesting choice, as Hurts does not really fit Riley's offensive scheme. Also of note, Riley told 2019 QB signee Spencer Rattler that he was not going to take any quarterback transfers. 

Hurts is undoubtedly an update to the QB room after the departure of Kyler Murray, however. The scene from Dallas will be interesting nonetheless in October. 

He probably wants a place that he can start and get a shot at Alabama in the playoffs. Good luck to him. I respect a player that stays at a school even though he was "demoted". Finish your degree and get out of dodge.

Now, here's to a beating he's never experienced at 'bama come October.

29 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

OU has to replace 4 OL and lost their #1 WR.

OL might be a concern though they have had a couple of juco guys in 2018 and 19 classes. WR is not an issue, they signed 3 flat out studs plus cd lamb and Rambo. 

Bottom line:smart move for Hurts and great move for Ou. We need to bring our A game , likely twice again next year. 

1 minute ago, longhorn_mig said:

Riley told Rattler he wouldn't take a QB transfer. He lied. Shocking. All this while Riley is blocking Austin Kendall from going to West Virginia, and blocking any media member on Twitter that calls him out on it. What a POS.

Yes he is but it’s not gonna stop players from going there, not 1%. 

Ou saying it’s bc of competitive advantage(in conference) when they took Baker in conference. And TT had offered Baker a scholarship also 

Here's my thoughts. Herman needs to build a power house program so we don't give a shit what OU does. Just go beat the shit out of them. Hurts doesn't scare me near as much as KM did. He doesn't have the accuracy down the field to really stretch you. Still a good pick up for them, as they were really short if the other kid transfers. I'm more concerned if Boo stays. We need him next year. 

38 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

Hurts wont be as effective in rileys offense..not like murray or mayfield. He can hurt you with his legs guess we will find out in October.

Riley will change some concepts of his offense, he is one of the top 3 O minds in college ball today.

3 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

Riley told Rattler he wouldn't take a QB transfer. He lied. Shocking. All this while Riley is blocking Austin Kendall from going to West Virginia, and blocking any media member on Twitter that calls him out on it. What a POS.

so you can transfer in....you just cant transfer out......kinda like a roach motel....

This helps OU, but Lord knows they needed something to happen. Otherwise, it would either be a true frosh or RS frosh starting. Tough to do in their offense.

That said, Hurts will have the same disadvantage, having to learn a new O all over again. His experience and maturity will help there.

I think Hurts benefitted from an almost impenetrable OL at Bama, and had weapons galore to turn to. Even in that set up, he did not stand out unless he was improvising. 

The QB run will again be a threat in the OU offense. But the passing game will struggle to stay on pace with the past because Hurts' arm isn't built for this, OU's OL is in rebuilding mode, main WR lost to NFL as well as their TE.

We will beat OU pretty badly come October. We're just a better overall team and have a better leader (Sam) at the helm. But OU will be competitive if only because Hurts is running the offense.

2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

This helps OU, but Lord knows they needed something to happen. Otherwise, it would either be a true frosh or RS frosh starting. Tough to do in their offense.

That said, Hurts will have the same disadvantage, having to learn a new O all over again. His experience and maturity will help there.

I think Hurts benefitted from an almost impenetrable OL at Bama, and had weapons galore to turn to. Even in that set up, he did not stand out unless he was improvising. 

The QB run will again be a threat in the OU offense. But the passing game will struggle to stay on pace with the past because Hurts' arm isn't built for this, OU's OL is in rebuilding mode, main WR lost to NFL as well as their TE.

We will beat OU pretty badly come October. We're just a better overall team and have a better leader (Sam) at the helm. But OU will be competitive if only because Hurts is running the offense.

SHA. I have to take a jab at you as you predicted Murray would suck taking over the offense prior to last season:D

I hope you are right this time predicting Hurts will struggle!

3 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

SHA. I have to take a jab at you as you predicted Murray would suck taking over the offense prior to last season:D

I hope you are right this time predicting Hurts will struggle!

You are correct, weed hopper. I simply thought Murray would be too short to do the job at that level. I was wrong. Murray's talents enabled him to overcome that disadvantage very well.

I do not think Hurts is in the same ballpark as Murray. Murray has a very good arm and is accurate. Hurts' accuracy and arm strength are on a different level. Murray is also a special runner, while I think Hurts is above average, but not special.

8 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You are correct, weed hopper. I simply thought Murray would be too short to do the job at that level. I was wrong. Murray's talents enabled him to overcome that disadvantage very well.

I do not think Hurts is in the same ballpark as Murray. Murray has a very good arm and is accurate. Hurts' accuracy and arm strength are on a different level. Murray is also a special runner, while I think Hurts is above average, but not special.

Agree Mark, I had to stay true to form and be a smart ass...

8 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Lordy I hope you're right.  I do like your optimism. 

Would you compare Hurts with Shawn Robinson? 

Didn't you really want Hurts when we were recruiting him?