Find results in...

2021 Recruiting Board/Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like about this site is the quality of the posters.  I'm on most Longhorn sites where I can bring out my alter ego asshole persona.  And, believe me, posters on those sites will happily confirm

CB for James Brockermeyer to Texas

I'm sorry - got distracted before I could finish.  I have been told that the coaches are beyond thrilled with our offensive possibilities.  There sre some kids that have and are performing beyond

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Till Brown came along Texas never lost to Bama, even with mighty Joe.

But Brown coud recruit.

He's one of the best CEO coaches as well. The turnaround at UNC proves his ability.

Well, we all expected the brothers would go to Alabama. Hey, their choice and their loss.  I for one wish them no ill will, but I also will not care about how well they are or are not doing.  They are out my mind from here on out. Move on and play with kids that want to make Texas great again. I care about those kids and give my full support (and that includes Luke B.)

If they pick Bama, I get it. They are looking at their future and Bama is a proven commodity.  I will think no less of them, I cant say I would not make the same decision. If they come to Texas they really have no assurances that the development will be as good....and certainly not as proven. The one guy that seems to have access to the most inside information has said we did everything right in this recruitment, it is just hard to overcome Bama when they make an all out push to get someone.

This is more of an indictement of how far we let ourselves fall than the current staff.

A look at 2021 roster assuming no go pro. or attrition. And all commits sign.

QB    4

RB     5

TE     4

WR    11

OL     13

Not sure to place Hullaby LB,RB TE HB.

Defence later maybe . This gives  a look at wwatis needed on off.All positions look except OL as far as depth goes.

Everyone keeps talking about development. I think Herb Hand is doing a good job of developing. It wasn’t good when he got here so some guys probably had to play that could have used a little more time. OLinemen usually aren’t ready to play big time college football for a couple of years. You have to recruit, develop some depth and then you will start seeing some results. Herman has recruited well at Oline. Cosmi and Kerstetter are high level offensive linemen that will play in the NFL. There’s a lot of young linemen that should have a chance in the future. The players from what I can tell absolutely love Herb Hand. It all goes back to crushing people on the field and recruiting more of the top guys. I hope we are heading in that direction. I’ve said it before and will say it again.......we were severely setback by the last 4-5 years of Mack Brown and then the bad hire of Charlie Strong. You’re are talking 7-8 years of set WAY back. I wish you could, but you can’t flip a switch and be out of that....no matter how much money you have. Let’s all hope we’re on the right track. 

40 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Everyone keeps talking about development. I think Herb Hand is doing a good job of developing. It wasn’t good when he got here so some guys probably had to play that could have used a little more time. OLinemen usually aren’t ready to play big time college football for a couple of years. You have to recruit, develop some depth and then you will start seeing some results. Herman has recruited well at Oline. Cosmi and Kerstetter are high level offensive linemen that will play in the NFL. There’s a lot of young linemen that should have a chance in the future. The players from what I can tell absolutely love Herb Hand. It all goes back to crushing people on the field and recruiting more of the top guys. I hope we are heading in that direction. I’ve said it before and will say it again.......we were severely setback by the last 4-5 years of Mack Brown and then the bad hire of Charlie Strong. You’re are talking 7-8 years of set WAY back. I wish you could, but you can’t flip a switch and be out of that....no matter how much money you have. Let’s all hope we’re on the right track. 

Great post!  I'm tired of hearing Hand needs to go.  Cosmi and Kerstetter are 2 of the highest rated returning OL in the B12.  Not bad for a couple of 3* recruits.  That's development and a testament to Hand as a developer. This OL room is the deepest it's been in a long time.  They have one blue chip in Tyler Johnson and the rest are low 4* and 3* recruits (Angilau was slightly rated higher).  We've heard nothing but good things about C. Jones, Ghirmai and R. Moore...all were lower rated.  The proof is in what we see on the field, but if it is true then Hand needs to be applauded for developing those kids.  Lightening may strike twice (Williams and Cosmi), but not 3 to 6 times.

One final note on the Brock's, IMO, I think James will enter the transfer portal in a couple years.  James still needs to develop some and Alabama will recruit over him.  Tommy will see the field for Bama, but they won't wait for James to catch up.  I could be way wrong, but Bama will always look for someone better and James may be left behind.  Maybe I'm underestimating James, but I do think he needs a couple of years and that may be too late at a place like Bama.

Are my orange colored glasses tinted too much burnt orange?  I don't get all the fire Tom stuff across the boards?  He made a mistake with some of the staff he brought over in thinking it would produce the same results as it did at Houston.  I know i wouldn't change something that worked before.  However, he saw it didn't work and made the difficult decision to part ways with coaches he was comfortable with. No matter how you slice it, that is difficult in any profession.  To his credit, he made the changes. He has had good to great classes that are just now getting ready to pay off on paper.  He has led UT to 3 straight quality bowl wins and winning seasons after taking over a program decimated by Mack's late years and the Strong era. I for one am happy in the direction of the program.  Sure, last year didn't live up to expectations, but the team was young (ish) and decimated by injuries. I know, no excuses, but it's a fact that affected the team. 

They lost out on the Brock's, but that seems more of something out of their control than something they didn't do.  By all reports, it sounds like UT did everything right in that recruitment and it didn't work out.  They still have a top 10 class, quality players at every position on the depth chart (including a QB room we haven't seen in years), and a foundation setup for future success.  Imo, this program is far and away in a better position than it was 3 years ago when he took over.  Sorry about the rant and I'm sure I'll get slammed.

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Hand has not had an OL commit in over a year. He must be too busy cooking.  

True and a lot of people are starting to get concerned. Of course, our OL depth chart is deep now so that's been a hindrance to some extent.

11 minutes ago, texbound said:

Are my orange colored glasses tinted too much burnt orange?  I don't get all the fire Tom stuff across the boards?  He made a mistake with some of the staff he brought over in thinking it would produce the same results as it did at Houston.  I know i wouldn't change something that worked before.  However, he saw it didn't work and made the difficult decision to part ways with coaches he was comfortable with. No matter how you slice it, that is difficult in any profession.  To his credit, he made the changes. He has had good to great classes that are just now getting ready to pay off on paper.  He has led UT to 3 straight quality bowl wins and winning seasons after taking over a program decimated by Mack's late years and the Strong era. I for one am happy in the direction of the program.  Sure, last year didn't live up to expectations, but the team was young (ish) and decimated by injuries. I know, no excuses, but it's a fact that affected the team. 

They lost out on the Brock's, but that seems more of something out of their control than something they didn't do.  By all reports, it sounds like UT did everything right in that recruitment and it didn't work out.  They still have a top 10 class, quality players at every position on the depth chart (including a QB room we haven't seen in years), and a foundation setup for future success.  Imo, this program is far and away in a better position than it was 3 years ago when he took over.  Sorry about the rant and I'm sure I'll get slammed.

From what I've been able to gather, this decision as far as Papa Brock goes, had more to do with a challenged relationship with CTH than anything else. I'm sure the twins fell in love with Bama on their own and naturally. But Papa did not intervene on Texas behalf because there's friction there between he and CTH, from what I've been told.

Hand had nothing to do with the Brock's decision.

I think we pick up a couple more along the way, falling short of our goal of 4 OL in this class. From there, I think they grab a GT to fill in the spot.

45 minutes ago, texbound said:

Tom Herman destroyed Missouri in his first year. He beat ou in the Red River Shootout & destroyed Georgia (final score lies) on his way to a 10 win season. He definitely under achieved in year 3 but he then destroyed a team people thought was a top 10 one in Utah. I think he’s shown he can coach his ass off. And I think he will get 2 more years to show he can win here. And he should. The issue with Herman is he can coach, no doubt, but his decision making in games & with his personnel can be lacking. This doesn’t help when he’s present as Mensa Tom. Ok so he wanted to bring his staff with him from U of H. That’s noble, points for loyalty, but he did hire someone outside of that staff and it was Drew Mehringer. That’s a ding right there. He could have hired an ace recruiter and not have to deal with this inside/outside WR coach mess. So we then benefit from him bring on Rashaad Samples. He’s hiring again and he doesn’t think to make him a full time coach? You’ve seen him recruit for us. You reaped the rewards. How do you not make that happen? If he’s here, I like our chances of Savion Byrd committing. That would less the blow of Tommy B not committing. Not Samples, how about Emmett Jones? We didn’t want to pay that much for him? What are we doing if we have so much money but refuse to use it? Also, we suffered so many injuries last year, yet we didn’t think maybe it’s our S&C coach and his program? Mensa Tom should. Then you look at his in game calls and I don’t think anyone can look and see a guy who doesn’t come off as arrogant at times. It seems he refused to change his gameplan at times even when things weren’t working. Or things were working like the hurry up passing game against ISU and he felt he needed to prove we could run too. I think he if truly embraces letting Yurich take the offense and he will be better for it. He could spend more time watching film of opposing teams and of recruits. If he doesn’t, he will be gone in 2 years. At that point... I’m all in for Joe Brady.  Make that man an offer he cannot refuse. 

Yes Tom won at Houston then he had a lighting in a bottle QB and a once in a life time DT.

Doubt if he can recruit a top ten class this year. There are a few OL left but most are leaning to other teams comelate and miss the party.

5 hours ago, texbound said:

Great post!  I'm tired of hearing Hand needs to go.  Cosmi and Kerstetter are 2 of the highest rated returning OL in the B12.  Not bad for a couple of 3* recruits.  That's development and a testament to Hand as a developer. This OL room is the deepest it's been in a long time.  They have one blue chip in Tyler Johnson and the rest are low 4* and 3* recruits (Angilau was slightly rated higher).  We've heard nothing but good things about C. Jones, Ghirmai and R. Moore...all were lower rated.  The proof is in what we see on the field, but if it is true then Hand needs to be applauded for developing those kids.  Lightening may strike twice (Williams and Cosmi), but not 3 to 6 times.

Who is saying Hand needs to go?  I guess we read different sources. Quite frankly, I’m surprised he seemed to be so “untouchable” when the heat came down.  

I thought our line played very poorly at times.  Worst during the biggest spotlight - OU. That effort on the OL should never happen at Texas. 

im not saying fire the guy - I just think he is overwhelmingly viewed favorably.  More so than play on the field justifies.  

20 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Who is saying Hand needs to go?  I guess we read different sources. Quite frankly, I’m surprised he seemed to be so “untouchable” when the heat came down.  

I thought our line played very poorly at times.  Worst during the biggest spotlight - OU. That effort on the OL should never happen at Texas. 

im not saying fire the guy - I just think he is overwhelmingly viewed favorably.  More so than play on the field justifies.  

I read somewhere that the fans at Penn St and Auburn weren't sad to see him go. But he does have some skins on the wall. Also the Texas OL needs some stability in the coaching staff.

3 hours ago, hornsups said:

So we then benefit from him bring on Rashaad Samples. He’s hiring again and he doesn’t think to make him a full time coach? You’ve seen him recruit for us. You reaped the rewards. How do you not make that happen? If he’s here, I like our chances of Savion Byrd committing. 

I agree with all of your post (good post, btw) except this part. I really like Samples as a recruiter. That part he's got a leg on, no doubt.

However, Texas is not normally the destination for a first-time position coach. Because part of recruiting is the history of development at that particular position. If you're recruiting well but don't develop, word gets out.

SMU was a good place for Samples to get his coaching feet wet. Maybe in a year or so we'll be able to improve his financial situation and move him to Austin.