Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2021 Recruiting Board/Thread

HornSports Staff

On 5/2/2020 at 3:33 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

I would defer to @swaha on the current status, but last I heard we were very much in it. The visit he took here was a very good one. Aggy, OU are the big opposition for him.

Burris shares very little information . You get bits and pieces from different people. I have not heard that Texas is out of it with Burris. The last school that I heard mentioned was OU, and that was from two different people. 

On 5/1/2020 at 8:25 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Thomas and Burris are not an either/or situation. Far from it. Burris is destined for DT while Thomas will likely stay outside.

I want Burris pretty bad. He's the quiet monster in the middle, very disruptive. And we need to get plugged into Pleasant Grove. Lots of talent there.

Same with Thomas. This was a regional battle between Texas, LSU and aggy. Texas won this one in a place (golden triangle) where we need all the wins we can get.

Texas just needs to continue to build upon the already established relationships with the PG staff. After this 2021 group leaves, there is still some D1 talent coming. They are just young at this point.

Class numbers for 2021 have been mentioned on this thread several times without a really clear answer. I do remember hearing that this class would be a "full" class previously but agree with those who say this class will likely be a bit smaller. 

According to the roster table on Inside Texas (https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster) all 85 scholarships are used up going into the 2020 season (this table doesn't include Tarik Black or Jadhae Barron so I think a few former walk-ons will lose schollies). Including Tarik Black, there will be 12 seniors graduating and opening up scholarship spots. Of the juniors, we could see several go to the NFL early (probably 3-4 max) - Sam Cosmi, Joseph Ossai, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles as potential candidates. Add in 3-4 transfer/retirements and that leaves 20 max scholarships to fill be in coming recruits. Anything over 20 would mean pretty significant attrition. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, BWilk55 said:

Class numbers for 2021 have been mentioned on this thread several times without a really clear answer. I do remember hearing that this class would be a "full" class previously but agree with those who say this class will likely be a bit smaller. 

According to the roster table on Inside Texas (https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster) all 85 scholarships are used up going into the 2020 season (this table doesn't include Tarik Black or Jadhae Barron so I think a few former walk-ons will lose schollies). Including Tarik Black, there will be 12 seniors graduating and opening up scholarship spots. Of the juniors, we could see several go to the NFL early (probably 3-4 max) - Sam Cosmi, Joseph Ossai, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, Brennan Eagles as potential candidates. Add in 3-4 transfer/retirements and that leaves 20 max scholarships to fill be in coming recruits. Anything over 20 would mean pretty significant attrition. Thoughts?

That table still includes LB D. Floyd, RB D. Brown and WR K. Lewis.  We know the status of Floyd, but Brown and Lewis are still up in the air.  Other players like Russel Hines is also unknown.  I think Jaquess and Luke Brokermeyer might stick with scholarships (sounds like both of them have really stepped, especially Jaquess and his performance in yhe bowl game).  

Back to your original point though, i don't know how the Horns can get to 25 this year, but that's why they get paid so much to manage that.  We will see what happens.  Btw, I hope 4 Jr.s don't leave.

5 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

@BWilk55 I belive that Texas stands at 86 on ships one over.

The way I see it is around 15 to 18 class my prediction of several months ago and am sticking with it.

Time will tell.Several walkons will lose thier ships one is safe if his brothers sign.

That sounds about right to me. Not a big class.

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

That sounds about right to me. Not a big class.

It seemed like last year everyone was pointing to 2021 as being a big class. I never checked into it until now and now that I have, I am not sure where anyone got that idea.

It does seem like 2022 and 23 will be bigger classes as we have a lot of Juniors (20) and Sophomores (22). 

All that to say, numbers always seem to work out as @texbound pointed out.

53 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Aggy got crystal ball picks today for 2 different DL from Pennsylvania or somewhere.  Hope Marcus Burris is taking note and will jump on board.

Would love that. Take Burris and Smith from Texarkana. Makes losing Jackson much easier to take.