Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****Texas vs. Texas Tech Game Thread*****

Just now, North Texas Golfer said:

No different than any other post game presser across the nation.

I don’t doubt you... but I only watch one post game presser. How about “hey, Tom, you gave up 17 points in 4 mins and the DL habitually jumped offsides allowing free chunk plays. Whaaaat happened there?” Haha I’d prefer that. 

19 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Opponents hit Tech with three-man rush all the time. It allows an extra guy in coverage against an offense that airs it out a great deal.

We beat Tech in a night game in Lubbock. I'll take it.

This! I'm as disgusted as most with our inability to shut out games in the 4th but remember Mack and his #1 team lost in Lubbock. 

36 minutes ago, The Tinman said:

This game never should have come down to a finish like this...coaches and players must figure it out..but a W is a W..

Unfortunately it did. Just like the last 6 games. Texas has been fortunate to win 4 of those. The problem is coaching and I'm blaming Herman more than Orlando. Herman made a point to state the definition of insanity early in his tenure, yet he continues to play percentages instead of intuition. Putting the defense on the field first every time is a great example.

12 minutes ago, Bevostuntdouble said:

I don’t doubt you... but I only watch one post game presser. How about “hey, Tom, you gave up 17 points in 4 mins and the DL habitually jumped offsides allowing free chunk plays. Whaaaat happened there?” Haha I’d prefer that. 

Got to admit, that's not a bad question.

The thing that bugs me about this defense is they're so concerned about giving up the big play, but they let QB have all day with a 3 man rush. News flash, they're still giving up the big plays so just bring the pressure a lot more then. Kind of like running a full court press in basketball. Sure you're going to breakdown and give up a couple of layups, but you'll probably create more TOs and possessions for your team. Just bring the pressure and live with it. Have an identity.

2 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Got to admit, that's not a bad question.

Thank you, sir. We have zero ability to finish games strong and I put that on the staff... I have no idea how Herman continues to allow this to happen. The ending comment is always "well we found a way to win." But that always overlooks the biggest issue which is we are our own absolute worst enemy! Its just tough to see the same things happen literally every single week and hear the same things from Tom, every single week.

35 minutes ago, Bevostuntdouble said:

I would have loved a, “Hey Tom noticed you were afraid to put the ball in the air and allow your QB that doesn’t turn the ball over to make plays with his arm. Did you lose your balls in the second half?”

8 hours ago, texbound said:

The thing that bugs me about this defense is they're so concerned about giving up the big play, but they let QB have all day with a 3 man rush. News flash, they're still giving up the big plays so just bring the pressure a lot more then. Kind of like running a full court press in basketball. Sure you're going to breakdown and give up a couple of layups, but you'll probably create more TOs and possessions for your team. Just bring the pressure and live with it. Have an identity.

The three men rushing might as well have been three fence posts. They got zero QB pressure and allowed the QB to run in any direction, at any time, for big gains. 

9 hours ago, RDHookEm said:

I would have loved a, “Hey Tom noticed you were afraid to put the ball in the air and allow your QB that doesn’t turn the ball over to make plays with his arm. Did you lose your balls in the second half?”

I just checked the play-by-play drive chart for the 2nd half on the Texas website and it differs quite a bit from your version of how things went down. Quite simply, your version is wrong.

11 hours ago, Baron said:

Interesting. I'll have to try that. One of my favorites is Dr. Pepper and Bacardi.

You wont regret it.

Lost in this fiasco, is other than Vahe, our offense has done pretty damn good. 35, 41, 41 should be enough to be 3-0 over that stretch.

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I just checked the play-by-play drive chart for the 2nd half on the Texas website and it differs quite a bit from your version of how things went down. Quite simply, your version is wrong.

Let me re-word that for you, because you obviously can’t understand sarcasm.

Last 11 minutes of the game was pathetic. FG, onside kick which led to a touchdown, conservative play calling leads to punt and touchdown. (This is the particular drive I’m taking about. It’s ok to be aggressive to win the game. It’s ok to call some quick hitters that makes the defense respect the pass. When everyone knows you’re going to run, you’re gonna have a hard time moving the sticks. I hate how conservative we called that series after the defense was on the field for 2 straight series. Herman’s strategy was put the game in the defenses hands after we had been moving the ball well all game.) 

Then finally we get aggressive and score.

I guess you’re the type of dude to believe in all is well since we won.

Tired of all these people making excuses for this team and coaching staff. We have looked like shit for 3 straight games. And we seem to allow teams to come back on us late in games.

When I went to Texas we were straight smashing people and games like these were not existent. Guess you and I have different standards of how UT football is supposed to be.

10A182F5-5719-4873-BFA5-06D4D6B59B51.jpeg

Does the "RD" stand for Randolph Duke by chance? lol

Let me clue you in. This isn't yesterday and that might upset you until you stop and remember where we've been the last 8-9 years. Compared to that crap, this stuff looks magical.

I'm going to let you have your misery time to yourself because I'm simply not going to be upset about a win in Lubbock.

I wish we could play better in the fourth like anyone else. But I also know I'll drive my self insane expecting something to be what it is not. We are what we are for the time being, which is better than what we were last year, and the year before.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Does the "RD" stand for Randolph Duke by chance? lol

Let me clue you in. This isn't yesterday and that might upset you until you stop and remember where we've been the last 8-9 years. Compared to that crap, this stuff looks magical.

I'm going to let you have your misery time to yourself because I'm simply not going to be upset about a win in Lubbock.

I wish we could play better in the fourth like anyone else. But I also know I'll drive my self insane expecting something to be what it is not. We are what we are for the time being, which is better than what we were last year, and the year before.

Don’t get me wrong I’ll take the win, but that game didn’t need to be that close. This isn’t the first time this has happened this year either.

Yes, we are better than where we were, but I hate the late game conservative playcalling that lets teams back in the game. We saw it yesterday and we saw it against Oklahoma. 

We just need to keep the gas pedal down is what I’m saying. This is the Big 12 and teams can score so easily. I hate how we’ve let up on offense when we’ve been up a couple scores. I miss the days when we drop 60 on people and still try to score more on top of that. We never took our foot off their throat the entire game. Just wish Herman had that mentality.

35 minutes ago, RDHookEm said:

Don’t get me wrong I’ll take the win, but that game didn’t need to be that close. This isn’t the first time this has happened this year either.

Yes, we are better than where we were, but I hate the late game conservative playcalling that lets teams back in the game. We saw it yesterday and we saw it against Oklahoma. 

We just need to keep the gas pedal down is what I’m saying. This is the Big 12 and teams can score so easily. I hate how we’ve let up on offense when we’ve been up a couple scores. I miss the days when we drop 60 on people and still try to score more on top of that. We never took our foot off their throat the entire game. Just wish Herman had that mentality.

Agree with practically everything you said. Except, we haven't grown, as a team, as much as you're expecting. We've grown in that we're winning tight games more often than not. We've grown in that we have an offense that is explosive both on the ground and in the air. Remember for just a moment (and be careful doing this) what our offense was last year.

Steady improvement, even since the season began. And that's what you want to see.

As for the going flat in the 4th, we saw it yesterday, and we saw it against OU. We saw it against WV. We saw it against OSU. Heck, we saw it against Tulsa, if you will remember. I hate it and wish we'd learn how to put our foot on someone's throat.

We'll get there.

4 hours ago, RDHookEm said:

The late game "conservative" play calling is being way overstated and exaggerated by people ignoring what really happened. Just look at the play-by-play drive charts if you don't believe me.

First, go back and review the play-by-play chart for the OU game. There is literally no indication that we went conservative in the 4th quarter during any drive.

In the Tech game, we had the ball twice in the 4th quarter. We scored on a 5 play 92 yard drive with 10:26 left to put us up 34-17. We did not get the ball again until there was 4:47 left and we were up 34-27 at that point. This was a 3 and out drive with runs of 4 yards and 3 yards then an incomplete pass on 3rd and 3 where Heard was wide open and Sam missed him badly with what would have been a sure first down. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

The late game "conservative" play calling is being way overstated and exaggerated by people ignoring what really happened. Just look at the play-by-play drive charts if you don't believe me.

First, go back and review the play-by-play chart for the OU game. There is literally no indication that we went conservative in the 4th quarter during any drive.

In the Tech game, we had the ball twice in the 4th quarter. We scored on a 5 play 92 yard drive with 10:26 left to put us up 34-17. We did not get the ball again until there was 4:47 left and we were up 34-27 at that point. This was a 3 and out drive with runs of 4 yards and 3 yards then an incomplete pass on 3rd and 3 where Heard was wide open and Sam missed him badly with what would have been a sure first down. 

Thanks for that. I agree there is more to the story than we got too conservative on offense 

12 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

If my memory is correct, a holding call on the kick-off return meant we started that 3 play drive somewhere around the 15. Heard was wide open on that 3rd down but Sam threw the ball to LJ and missed badly.