Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****GAME THREAD - TEXAS vs. EASTERN ILLINOIS*****

ssmtcu17g2pfotr.jpg

ShakaSmart and the Texas Longhorns are back in action tonight at the Frank Erwin Center as they begin the 2018-2019 Basketball season against the Eastern Illinois Panthers. The Panthers, coached by Jay Spoonhour, finished last season 12-19 overall and 4-12 in the Ohio Valley Conference. 

Sophmore guard Mack Smith was the leading scorer for Eastern Illinois last season, averaging 12.4 points per game. As a freshman,  he set the Panther freshman single game scoring record with 31 points against Tennessee Tech. Junior guard Shareef Smith, Junior forward Rade Kukobat, Sophmore guard Josiah Wallace and Junior forward JaQualis Matlock round out the starters for the Eastern Illinois.

Off the bench, Senior guard Terrell Lewis returns for a 5th season after suffering  a foot injury in early December. Lewis is Eastern Illinois' all-time leader in assists and ranks fourth in career 3-pointers with 20.

Projected starters for the Longhorns:

Sophmore guard Matt Coleman
Junior Guard (transfer) Elijah Long
Sophmore Guard Jase Febres
Senior Forward Dylan Osetkowski
Sophmore Forward Jericho Sims

A note that Senior guard Kerwin Roach will not play tonight as part of a violation of team rules that took place at the end of last season. Roach also sat out for both of the Longhorns' preseason scrimmages.

What:  Texas Longhorns (0-0) vs. Eastern Illinois Panthers (0-0)
When: Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Time: 7:00 PM CST
Venue: Frank Erwin Center
TV: Longhorn Network
Last Meeting Between the two schools: N/A

Advertise on HornSports

I'm glad the game turned around. I still don't have much faith in Smart, but I will start the season with guarded optimism. After the last 20 plus years of mediocrity with the Cowboys and the last decade of futility with the football program my fuse is short.