Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack Brown's Press Conference

beevomav

To start Mack gave up some meat. I hope you like Oklahoma State's offense because starting this upcoming season Texas will go with a OSU type up-tempo offense. Mack said he noticed when Harsin kept sending in his offensive packages the defense was doing the same thing but when they played a OU or WVU his defenders were looking to the sideline while the Mountaineers were running a play. It convinced Brown the up-tempo was the offense of today and the future.

He was asked about Major Applewhite and he said the university and Major have put the incident behind them. He also said McCoy and Hicks were brought back with no further penalty because they were not charged.

He showed a video of each of the Fifteen recruits and had the usual good comments on each. He said the small class was not unexpected because of the 28 signed the year before. He also said the loss of recruits was because they talked guys into coming to Texas and that the late losses were hard to replace.

He went on to say that starting today they will not talk anyone into coming to Texas. He said they passed up players who wanted to be here to recruit guys who just didn't have the passion for Texas and said it made no sense to him. Mack said he wanted to get the parents and the player on board or they wouldn't offer.

The changes in recruiting are varied but he talked of the unlimited phone access to players. He said he would have two recruiters who do nothing but work the phones.

He went on to lobby for five years of eligibility and how players and coached hate red shirt years. He spoke of Jalin Overstreet and how they were prepared to use a year of his eligibility to play in the Alamo Bowl and how insane of a system that was. He went on to say kids grades are better when they are on the team and engaged and not redshirted.

Finally he said Ricky Williams was his best recruit ever and how his decision to come back and play his 5th year of eligibility being the most unselfish move by any athelete he has coached. Interest story about Ricky by the way. Ricky was in India doing his walk about thing. He got off a train and a man with his daughter were looking at him. Before he could do much of anything the girl threw up the 'Hook Em Horns.' Seems he went to Texas and was home on a visit. Amazing..

There was a lot more and maybe you can help fill in the thread holes.

• Administrators

Mack was a little feisty today in the presser. He sort of took a few shots at recruits that play the game ans look elsewhere. "If you look elsewhere so will we" was the quote.

I like the proposed offensive changes. We need to be going more no huddle.

Can't wait for next season....

Mack was a little feisty today in the presser. He sort of took a few shots at recruits that play the game ans look elsewhere. "If you look elsewhere so will we" was the quote.

I like the proposed offensive changes. We need to be going more no huddle.

Can't wait for next season....

Yea he pointed to WVU and OU as games they lost because the defense was behind the whole game..by going no huddle or up-tempo all season the defense gets to see it during practice and will be more prepared..

He also said the running QB is back. Talked of Overstreet and Swoopes..May not be Ash all the time unless he will run the ball?

To start Mack gave up some meat. I hope you like Oklahoma State's offense because starting this upcoming season Texas will go with a OSU type up-tempo offense. Mack said he noticed when Harsin kept sending in his offensive packages the defense was doing the same thing but when they played a OU or WVU his defenders were looking to the sideline while the Mountaineers were running a play. It convinced Brown the up-tempo was the offense of today and the future.

Stuff like this DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Really, Mack? Up tempo offense is the offense of today and the future?? Guess what, it was also the offense of FIVE YEARS AGO when OU was doing it.

And for God's sake, even Texas has run this up tempo stuff over the past five years, although not quite at the breakneck speed of an OU or WVU.

This ridiculous story almost sounds like a veiled shot at Harsin. Oh yeah he was the guy behind the times who ran a traditional offense, but now we're going to be one of the Joneses. Give me a break.

Stuff like this DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Really, Mack? Up tempo offense is the offense of today and the future?? Guess what, it was also the offense of FIVE YEARS AGO when OU was doing it.

And for God's sake, even Texas has run this up tempo stuff over the past five years, although not quite at the breakneck speed of an OU or WVU.

This ridiculous story almost sounds like a veiled shot at Harsin. Oh yeah he was the guy behind the times who ran a traditional offense, but now we're going to be one of the Joneses. Give me a break.

He took a lot of shots at Harsin and most were not so veiled. He talked of all the packages the offense used hurt the team because the defenses got to see what was coming..Hard to argue this point..but..Mack talked of going back to what worked in the past and that is to utilize their speed. He said they got away from some things and will get back..Basically said, without saying, that Harsin was a mistake..

He took a lot of shots at Harsin and most were not so veiled. He talked of all the packages the offense used hurt the team because the defenses got to see what was coming..Hard to argue this point..but..Mack talked of going back to what worked in the past and that is to utilize their speed. He said they got away from some things and will get back..Basically said, without saying, that Harsin was a mistake..

That comment is even worse than the last one.

That was a problem under Greg Davis. At least Harsin built off of his formations and made adjustments at halftime to build one play off of an earlier one.

Every time I listen to or hear about a Mack Brown press conference, I lose more faith in his ability to turn this thing around. He has lived in Austin for 15 years with a media that REFUSES to ask tough questions, so hopefully this is all just press conference BS that even he doesn't believe. The problem is, when you live in this world for 15 years I think you start to believe your own BS.

Yea I called BS on one comment..He went on and on about how they only have one scholarship left? Is he trying to say they had no room for the guys they lost? What a load of crap this line of thought was..oh..and the press were there and let him. The problem is with Austin, the Longhorns are the only show in town and all are afraid of losing access..

F Mack and his typical press conference BS. He is criticizing Harsin's offense? Really? Wasn't it Mack who, after 2009 and Bama kicking our ass, was determined to change his team from a spread offense, to a power running team? Wasn't it Mack who wanted to be balanced and run the clock? Didn't Mack talk constantly about controlling the clock and winning the time of possession last season? Don't tell me that Harsin was horrible. You freaking COWARD!! You are the freaking head coach at THE University of Texas. You make the final call. Look in the mirror, Jack. You might not like what you see.

• Administrators

So Mack is telling guys like Jerrod Heard and Demetrious Knox that they can't take visits? I don't think this is a good precedent to set. It is ridiculous to think kids can't take visits and if they do they might get a scholly pulled. I like the hardball attitude but this facet of it is not reasonable.

This is his last season in Austin folks.

So Mack is telling guys like Jerrod Heard and Demetrious Knox that they can't take visits? I don't think this is a good precedent to set. It is ridiculous to think kids can't take visits and if they do they might get a scholly pulled. I like the hardball attitude but this facet of it is not reasonable.

This is his last season in Austin folks.

He was interviewed one on one after the press conference. He said there would be situations that he knew the no visit rule will be altered..but..he emphasized that he wanted to not put up with the guys who did everything but decommit. A'Shawn never for one second acted like he was going to Texas. It was a bogus commitment and Mack knew it. I think what he wants is no more bullshit like this kid. He basically held the university hostage for months. I am with him and I say again F@#K a bunch of these kind of commitments.

I feel they did the right thing with the prick who decommitted. RSJ tried to do the same thing and the University of Texas was saved the ensnarement of another ship jumper. If they don't want to be here, F@#K em and move on or should we kiss their asses and let them run this program?

Personally I don't give a shit if we end up with a bunch of 3 stars who want to be here than coddle some f##king spoiled kid who wants to us Texas for his own ambition. Let the f##king SEC have em.

Now as for Mack being on his last year..I will bet against that.

Edited by beevomav

He was interviewed one on one after the press conference. He said there would be situations that he knew the no visit rule will be altered..but..he emphasized that he wanted to not put up with the guys who did everything but decommit. A'Shawn never for one second acted like he was going to Texas. It was a bogus commitment and Mack knew it. I think what he wants is no more bull$#@! like this kid. He basically held the university hostage for months. I am with him and I say again $#@! a bunch of these kind of commitments.

I feel they did the right thing with the prick who decommitted. RSJ tried to do the same thing and the University of Texas was saved the ensnarement of another ship jumper. If they don't want to be here, $#@! em and move on or should we kiss their asses and let them run this program?

Personally I don't give a $#@! if we end up with a bunch of 3 stars who want to be here than coddle some $#@!ing spoiled kid who wants to us Texas for his own ambition. Let the $#@!ing SEC have em.

Now as for Mack being on his last year..I will bet against that.

I would def echo your sentiments! I don't agree with wasting money and time and effort on assholes whom are milking the system. Players should want to be there. The circus that recruiting has become is ridiculous. Losing players with the passion and burn to play in burnt orange in exchange for guys with lots of stars isn't a good plan.

I'm also not so sure this is Mack's last year.