Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

‘Horns ranked #9 in new AP Poll

Aaron Carrara

Alabama stays No. 1 but Notre Dame, Texas move up

Notre Dame moved into the top five, Texas and UCF reached the top 10 and the Southeastern Conference placed a season-high eight teams in the latest Associated Press college football poll.

After three teams in the top eight and eight ranked teams overall lost on Saturday, there was significant movement throughout the AP Top 25 , except in the first four spots.

Alabama stayed No. 1, with 59 first-place votes and Georgia remained No. 2. No. 3 Ohio State and No. 4 Clemson each received a first-place vote from the media panel.

Notre Dame reached a season-high fifth after beating Virginia Tech on Saturday night. Texas jumped 10 spots to No. 9 after beating Oklahoma. The Longhorns are in the top 10 for the first time since Sept. 19, 2010, when they reached No. 7.

No. 10 UCF has never been ranked higher during the regular season. The Knights, who have the nation's longest winning streak at 18 games, finished last season unbeaten and at No. 6.

The SEC's eight teams are the most by a conference since the SEC had eight on Oct. 16, 2016. The record for most teams in the AP Top 25 for one conference is 10 by the SEC on Sept. 8, 2015.

For the first time this season, every unbeaten FBS team is ranked. After LSU, Oklahoma and Kentucky lost on Saturday, there are 11 undefeated teams left. The new unbeatens to join the rankings were both from the American Athletic Conference: No. 23 South Florida (5-0) and No. 25 Cincinnati (6-0).

The Bulls finished each of the last two seasons ranked, but for the Bearcats 2018 has been a turnaround season for second-year coach Luke Fickell. Cincinnati is bowl eligible for the first time since 2015 and ranked for the first time since Oct. 14, 2012.

Including UCF, the American has three ranked teams, as many as the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big 12 and Pac-12.

Re-entering the rankings were No. 22 Texas A&M and No. 24 Mississippi State from the SEC.

Stanford lost for the second straight week and dropped out for the first time this season, and Michigan State's second loss sent it out of the rankings for the first time.

Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State both lost for a second time and dropped out again after re-entering just last week.

1. Alabama

2. Georgia

3. Ohio State

4. Clemson

5. Notre Dame

6. West Virginia

7. Washington

8. Penn State

9. Texas

10. UCF

11. Oklahoma

12. Michigan

13. LSU

14. Florida

15. Wisconsin

16. Miami (FL)

17. Oregon

18. Kentucky

19. Colorado

20. North Carolina State

21. Auburn

22. Texas A&M

23. South Florida

24. Mississippi State

25. Cincinnati

Get through the next two... WVA keep it clean... ESPN Game Day likely comes to Austin for visiting WVA 3-Nov. Great. My birthday is Nov. 1st!!

If they do come, they should set it up on the East Fountain near the stadium, not South Mall.

A likely spot that weekend is Alabama at LSU, but LSU loss to Florida takes a little out of that.

If things go well, WVA at TEXAS would be a serious top 10 matchup.
No other big game with Clemson, Ohio State, or others that Sat, except Bama at Baton Rough.

Maybe a matter they have been to State of Texas 3 of the first 6 weekends.

If LSU loses to UGA then that decreases chance of choosing Baton Rouge. They will likely be in Baton Rouge this Saturday for that game. Game day has picked same school twice in one year before I’m pretty sure. 

Farankly, I don’t care about game day, just cut a crazy loud crowd in the stands for the game! Just win!

14 hours ago, texasdalton said:

I do not believe gameday will showcase the same team twice in a season

They have and they will again. Its really not so much about the team but about the game. If its the biggest game of the weekend, they're there.

That said, I'm with Contractor. I don't care if they come or not. Lets just win.

9 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

They have and they will again. Its really not so much about the team but about the game. If its the biggest game of the weekend, they're there.

That said, I'm with Contractor. I don't care if they come or not. Lets just win.

Makes a difference they would be coming to Austin for the first time this year, too. Couldn't really say we were showcased twiced. That would be pretty kick ass.