Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

HS Members Prediction Thread: TCU

I dont get it. TCU is a good team. They are always well prepared. They are fast and well coached.......but damn!...I am not ready to just not show up. I think we have a good chance. Maybe not a great chance, but a good one.

This is a home game for us and for the first time in a long time it will actually be an advantage.

38 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I dont get it. TCU is a good team. They are always well prepared. They are fast and well coached.......but damn!...I am not ready to just not show up. I think we have a good chance. Maybe not a great chance, but a good one.

This is a home game for us and for the first time in a long time it will actually be an advantage.

Purple Kryptonite 2.0

I'll belive when I see it.

4 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

USC game is lot like ND 2016. Now it gets real. Hopefully it was a turning point.

WE SUCK UNTIL WE DON'T 

Since we're both fans, let's just say your part of this team sucks. My part is on its way up. lol

Again I hope Texas wins, but I do not see that happening, the difference will be our inability to keep Shawn Robinson in the pocket. Sunny Cumbie will create a simple game plan for him so he does not make mistakes, although he may turn the ball over, our second challenge will be moving the ball against Gary Patterson's 4-2-5 defense. I see a similar game happening that occurred last season, we go three and out on most of our possessions and our D gets tired and TCU runs away with it.

TCU - 24

Texas- 6

28-7 TCU

Im being generous on points for and against. I hope they only get 28 and we at least get 7. 

Im still not buying Tom’s ability to get the program back on track. Too much talk and not enough evidence to support the claims. I really hope I’m wrong. 

41 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

If we get blown out in this game Tom ain't the guy but I don't expect that to happen.

I agree. At no point last year were we "blown out" per se.  TCU handed us our most lopsided defeat of 17 points.  Only 7 points did the defense surrender in the 2nd half of that game.  I think this team is better...and I think we win.  HOOK EM!

9 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

USC game is lot like ND 2016. Now it gets real. Hopefully it was a turning point.

WE SUCK UNTIL WE DON'T 

Exactly my thoughts on the 2016 ND game and the hype that it developed...but it didn’t materialize and ND sucked the rest of the year as well.  Did enjoy that game though!

TCU's roster of 'rejects' looking like one of the nation's best heading into rivalry game vs. Texas

I'm a big believer in the predictive power of recruiting rankings. The better you recruit, the higher your ceiling. The more highly rated recruiting classes you stack up, the stronger your competitive culture gets. Give me a team 25 random five stars over your 25 random three stars every year and I will beat you.

But outliers do exist, and no program is a prisoner to its recruiting limitations. In TCU's case, those limitations may actually perpetuate the culture that has driven it to the top of the Big 12 under Gary Patterson. He takes the "rejects," the guys the blue bloods don't have time to consider. That breeds an inherent edge, a chip on the shoulder that you can't fake or manufacture.

It's a TCU roster in contrast to the one it faced last weekend in Ohio State, but it exists practically in opposition of the one it faces this weekend with Texas. The Longhorns get who they want in their own state on the recruiting trail. TCU can choose from the rest. Texas could have had the guys on TCU's roster. It just didn't want them.

There isn't a single starter on TCU's defense that had a Texas offer. But let's not pick on the Longhorns here. Only one defensive starter, former four-star defensive tackle Corey Bethley, could even be described as highly recruited. Here's the unit the best defensive coach in the Big 12 wanted on his side:

• DE Ben Banogu -- Transfer from Louisiana-Monroe
  • DT Terrell Cooper -- No Power Five offers
  • LB Ty Summers -- Committed to TCU only after decommitting from Rice as a QB
  • LB Arico Evans -- Only offers from Kansas and Texas Tech in Big 12
  • LB Garret Wallow -- Louisiana native that LSU didn't recruit
  • CB Jeff Gladney -- No Power Five offers
  • CB Julius Lewis -- No Big 12 offers
  • S Niko Small -- No Big 12 offers
  • S Innis Gaines -- Only other Power Five offer was Arkansas
  • S Ridwan Issahaku -- Georgia native with no other Power Five offers

The offensive side of the ball has a little bit more star power, but even that group only has three starters who actually had Texas offers.

The state of Texas has enough talent to go around, though, and Patterson has capitalized on a lot of the speediest overlooked examples. Those guys come in hungry and they get absorbed into a culture that's been in place at TCU since 2001. Meanwhile, Texas is in a perpetual state of freshmen arriving as saviors.

The buzzword at Texas since the waning years of Mack Brown's tenure has been "culture." The program has been on a constant quest to fix it. But no one in the program sets the tone for the culture more than the strength coach. Texas has had four of them in the last eight years. TCU has had one in the last 18, the entirety of Patterson's tenure, in Don Sommer.  With that kind of continuity at TCU, there's a much greater latitude to work with on the recruiting trail and there's a higher hit rate on the roster.

Culture only changes with time and with continuity, with success and proof of concept. This weekend we'll find out how close Texas is to being recharged and reborn culturally because TCU is where the Longhorns want to be, even if it's there with a bunch of guys they didn't want.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/tcus-roster-of-rejects-looking-like-one-of-the-nations-best-heading-into-rivalry-game-vs-texas/

22 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Exactly my thoughts on the 2016 ND game and the hype that it developed...but it didn’t materialize and ND sucked the rest of the year as well.  Did enjoy that game though!

The only common denominator is that both teams were hyped (ND more so) and both teams failed to meet expectations.

Here's the difference.

Texas barely escaped with the win over ND. We had to go to two OTs to pull it out.

Texas beat USC soundly. Score probably should have been worse than it was. Game wasn't in doubt during the 2nd half.

The reasons ND and USC were down are different, as well. ND had plenty of QBs to choose from. USC had a frosh in his third game, a frosh who skipped his sr year of HS to play in that game. USC's QB will get better as the season moves on.

In terms of points differential, TCU has been our biggest loss in 2014 (48-10), 2015 (50-7), 2016 (31-9), and 2017 (24-7). It's been the only team where we haven't looked even remotely competitive the past 4 years.

TCU: 38

Texas: 17

1 hour ago, utb040713 said:

In terms of points differential, TCU has been our biggest loss in 2014 (48-10), 2015 (50-7), 2016 (31-9), and 2017 (24-7). It's been the only team where we haven't looked even remotely competitive the past 4 years.

TCU: 38

Texas: 17

Its the coaching. Patterson hates UT and coaches his tail off for this game.

I hope that TH sees that Patterson will game plan his weaknesses, TH needs to have a few rabbits to pull out of the hat.

Another thing . . . TCU comes out hot, just like OU. We have to slow that down, stop it, or be able to answer punch for punch.

16 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Its the coaching. Patterson hates UT and coaches his tail off for this game.

I hope that TH sees that Patterson will game plan his weaknesses, TH needs to have a few rabbits to pull out of the hat.

Another thing . . . TCU comes out hot, just like OU. We have to slow that down, stop it, or be able to answer punch for punch.

This. In the end it will be no different from last week.