Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

HS Members Prediction Thread: TCU

35 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Texas 13

TCU 10

TCU QB is bad, but Texas will have trouble scoring against the toughest defense in the league 

Didn’t their QB throw for over 300 last week or the week before?  Does t mean he is great, but just checking..

9 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Didn’t their QB throw for over 300 last week or the week before?  Does t mean he is great, but just checking..

He threw for 300 this weekend but had 2 picks as well about 50% completion. He wasn’t impressive to me at all... I watched the SMU game as well and he thru for 140 yards and a pick. Just basing off those 2 games. He isn’t the QB material they have had the last couple years. My opinion. Not worth much. I do believe low scoring but maybe not 

This is the game of the year for Fatterson. He coaches his tail off this entire week, every year. And he convinces his team this is the Super Bowl. And they play lights out.

Texas will have to avoid getting behind early. If we can slow them down and still hanging with them in the 3rd, we can win.

Texas 28

TCU 26

5 hours ago, dillohorn said:

I predict Patterson will use 35 towels to dry his sweat while Tom only uses 2.  Patterson may be the only human to drown in his own sweat. As for the score, I have no idea. Just win and end this cockroach streak. 

TCU equipment manager packing for the UT game and it's only Tuesday.giphy.thumb.gif.5be680e13b683721e108202e68898558.gif

3 hours ago, okiehorn said:

He threw for 300 this weekend but had 2 picks as well about 50% completion. He wasn’t impressive to me at all... I watched the SMU game as well and he thru for 140 yards and a pick. Just basing off those 2 games. He isn’t the QB material they have had the last couple years. My opinion. Not worth much. I do believe low scoring but maybe not 

There were two QB's that I really wanted the last couple of years that we did not get. Kyler Murray was one, but that got screwed up because of his daddy and the other was Shawn Robinson. Both were the top dual threat QB's in the state and  I thought we would get Shawn because he went to the same high school as Jerod Heard. It was a disappointment when he chose TCU.

I like having a dual threat QB like Vince and I dislike having to play against a dual threat QB which we will have to do in the next two out of three games.

He may or may not be good now, however throwing for 300 yards against a top 5 team is something.  This is first starting year and he has the ability to only get better. Playing well against that awful USC offense did not prove anything. 

Who is Shawn Robinson? What to know about the TCU QB

Shawn Robinson has been the backup quarterback for TCU football behind Kenny Hill during the 2017 season.

Hill is reportedly dealing with a concussion, so the true freshman is expected to make his first collegiate start against Texas Tech on Saturday.

Here is everything fans need to know about Robinson.

1. Shawn Robinson is dangerous as a runner and a passer

Robinson was the No. 6-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country for the Class of 2017. He finished his high school career with 7,646 passing yards and 75 passing touchdowns, along with 4,452 rushing yards and 53 rushing touchdowns.

TCU has mostly been bringing Robinson into games for short-yardage and third-down situations in 2017. Coming into Week 12, he was averaging 5.8 yards per carry on 13 carries.

2. Shawn Robinson was the highest-rated QB recruit to ever sign with TCU

The freshman quarterback enrolled at TCU in January after signing early as a 4-star recruit. He was ranked as the nation’s No. 198 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite. He is TCU’s highest-rated quarterback signee ever. He committed to the Frogs over reported offers from Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama and Oklahoma.

However, Robinson won’t have that distinction much longer. Justin Rogers, a 4-star quarterback and the nation’s No. 28 overall prospect for 2018, is expected to sign with the Frogs in December.

3. Shawn Robinson won the No. 2 QB spot over 2 veterans

TCU named Robinson the backup behind Hill in April at the end of spring practice. He bypassed junior Grayson Muehlstein and redshirt freshman Brennen Wooten on the depth chart.

Wooten later transferred to a junior college. Muehlstein is currently listed as the third quarterback on the Frogs’ depth chart.

Before the preseason practices began, coach Gary Patterson said Robinson could push Hill for the starting job. Hill ultimately held onto his spot in the lineup, but the senior has been impressed by Robinson since the freshman arrived on campus.

“Dude has a rocket arm,” Hill said of Robinson in July. “Like he can sling it. He can run. He just does a lot of things really well.”

4. Shawn Robinson led the undefeated Texas state champions last year

Robinson began his high school football career at Denton (Texas) Guyer, but he played his senior season at DeSoto (Texas) in 2016. With Robinson at quarterback, the Eagles went undefeated (16-0) and won their first-ever Texas state title

Against Cibolo Steele in the Texas Class 6A Division II state championship, Robinson was 17-of-24 passing for 222 yards, 2 touchdowns and an interception. He rushed for 197 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries.

5. Shawn Robinson was Gatorade Texas Player of the Year as a high school senior

Robinson earned 2016-2017 Gatorade Texas Football Player of the Year honors following his stellar senior campaign.

He finished the year with a 58.6 percent completion rate, passing for 3,413 yards and 28 touchdowns with 9 interceptions. He rushed for an additional 1,469 yards and 19 touchdowns.

https://www.diehards.com/tcu/shawn-robinson-tcu-football-quarterback-stats-profile

6 hours ago, primal defense said:

There were two QB's that I really wanted the last couple of years that we did not get. Kyler Murray was one, but that got screwed up because of his daddy and the other was Shawn Robinson. Both were the top dual threat QB's in the state and  I thought we would get Shawn because he went to the same high school as Jerod Heard. It was a disappointment when he chose TCU.

I like having a dual threat QB like Vince and I dislike having to play against a dual threat QB which we will have to do in the next two out of three games.

He may or may not be good now, however throwing for 300 yards against a top 5 team is something.  This is first starting year and he has the ability to only get better. Playing well against that awful USC offense did not prove anything. 

Who is Shawn Robinson? What to know about the TCU QB

Shawn Robinson has been the backup quarterback for TCU football behind Kenny Hill during the 2017 season.

Hill is reportedly dealing with a concussion, so the true freshman is expected to make his first collegiate start against Texas Tech on Saturday.

Here is everything fans need to know about Robinson.

1. Shawn Robinson is dangerous as a runner and a passer

Robinson was the No. 6-ranked dual-threat quarterback in the country for the Class of 2017. He finished his high school career with 7,646 passing yards and 75 passing touchdowns, along with 4,452 rushing yards and 53 rushing touchdowns.

TCU has mostly been bringing Robinson into games for short-yardage and third-down situations in 2017. Coming into Week 12, he was averaging 5.8 yards per carry on 13 carries.

2. Shawn Robinson was the highest-rated QB recruit to ever sign with TCU

The freshman quarterback enrolled at TCU in January after signing early as a 4-star recruit. He was ranked as the nation’s No. 198 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite. He is TCU’s highest-rated quarterback signee ever. He committed to the Frogs over reported offers from Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama and Oklahoma.

However, Robinson won’t have that distinction much longer. Justin Rogers, a 4-star quarterback and the nation’s No. 28 overall prospect for 2018, is expected to sign with the Frogs in December.

3. Shawn Robinson won the No. 2 QB spot over 2 veterans

TCU named Robinson the backup behind Hill in April at the end of spring practice. He bypassed junior Grayson Muehlstein and redshirt freshman Brennen Wooten on the depth chart.

Wooten later transferred to a junior college. Muehlstein is currently listed as the third quarterback on the Frogs’ depth chart.

Before the preseason practices began, coach Gary Patterson said Robinson could push Hill for the starting job. Hill ultimately held onto his spot in the lineup, but the senior has been impressed by Robinson since the freshman arrived on campus.

“Dude has a rocket arm,” Hill said of Robinson in July. “Like he can sling it. He can run. He just does a lot of things really well.”

4. Shawn Robinson led the undefeated Texas state champions last year

Robinson began his high school football career at Denton (Texas) Guyer, but he played his senior season at DeSoto (Texas) in 2016. With Robinson at quarterback, the Eagles went undefeated (16-0) and won their first-ever Texas state title

Against Cibolo Steele in the Texas Class 6A Division II state championship, Robinson was 17-of-24 passing for 222 yards, 2 touchdowns and an interception. He rushed for 197 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries.

5. Shawn Robinson was Gatorade Texas Player of the Year as a high school senior

Robinson earned 2016-2017 Gatorade Texas Football Player of the Year honors following his stellar senior campaign.

He finished the year with a 58.6 percent completion rate, passing for 3,413 yards and 28 touchdowns with 9 interceptions. He rushed for an additional 1,469 yards and 19 touchdowns.

https://www.diehards.com/tcu/shawn-robinson-tcu-football-quarterback-stats-profile

That’s all cool, he was a great HS QB, maybe he will shape into a good college one. But right now Sam has a better stat line then he does so I’ll continue to say he is there Achilles heel. And I hope he shows that Saturday. They have a ton of weapons and Texas needs to be ready. 

My biggest fear for this Texas squad is the slow starts, It likely comes into play once again.  

The realist in me thinks TCU contiunes their dominance and it's not close.  I feel like they will end up beating Texas deep and once those adjustments are made Turpin gets involved in space.  They know they need to force Robinson to throw it, but one of my take aways from the USC game is we can get burnt deep and TCU has some legit speed.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but, here goes....35-17 TCU

I'm still in the show me mode and will likely remain there throughout this entire season!

27 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

My biggest fear for this Texas squad is the slow starts, It likely comes into play once again.  

The realist in me thinks TCU contiunes their dominance and it's not close.  I feel like they will end up beating Texas deep and once those adjustments are made Turpin gets involved in space.  They know they need to force Robinson to throw it, but one of my take aways from the USC game is we can get burnt deep and TCU has some legit speed.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but, here goes....35-17 TCU

I'm still in the show me mode and will likely remain there throughout this entire season!

a SLOW START will be deadly Saturday.

1 hour ago, okiehorn said:

That’s all cool, he was a great HS QB, maybe he will shape into a good college one. But right now Sam has a better stat line then he does so I’ll continue to say he is there Achilles heel. And I hope he shows that Saturday. They have a ton of weapons and Texas needs to be ready. 

I still disagree with your characterization that's he's a bad QB.

TCU

Before a slew of second-half mistakes ruined TCU's chances of knocking off Ohio State, it had played the Big Ten favorites pretty evenly. The Horned Frogs frustrated the Buckeyes with their tempo and the mobility of first-year starting quarterback Shawn Robinson. Ultimately, the lesson here is that you have to protect the ball against Ohio State. Within a 4:01 span in the third quarter, Ohio State went on a 20–0 run thanks to a pick-six and a blocked punt that set up another score. To his credit, Robinson got things back on track with a 51-yard touchdown pass to TreVontae Hights late in the third quarter to keep his team in the game.

Gary Patterson’s team is going to be a tough one to face in conference play. Its offense is especially fast: Jalen Reagor and the other receivers continually beat Ohio State on the perimeter, and running back Darius Anderson ripped off a 93-yard touchdown, which was the longest run in TCU history and longest play Ohio State has ever given up.

The Horned Frogs next face a Texas team looking for some momentum after a revenge victory over USC. That game will reveal what kind of Big 12 threat both of these teams will be moving forward.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/18/oklahoma-big-12-standings-tcu-texas-west-virginia