Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Five Thoughts Following The Loss To Maryland


Daniel Seahorn
 Share

Recommended Posts

one of the most impressive plays I saw( not many to choose from) was the one where Wilbon was flagged for hands to the face. I wasnt thrilled with the flag, but did anyone else notice that he was double teamed on that play...left guard and center on him. He did have his hands on the guards face mask, but he was driving BOTH guys into the backfield, and not slowly either.That had "nose tackle potential" all over it to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy hell. Our starting QB thinks it's not even an option to throw the ball away or run on 3rd & 10 in the opponents territory with over a minute left. I'm being 100% serious here, there are junior high QB's that know better than that. Did Sam not hear/understand the question or something? What an incredible answer. 

 

 

 

https://twitter.com/RickyDoyle/status/1036044051374587906

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

one of the most impressive plays I saw( not many to choose from) was the one where Wilbon was flagged for hands to the face. I wasnt thrilled with the flag, but did anyone else notice that he was double teamed on that play...left guard and center on him. He did have his hands on the guards face mask, but he was driving BOTH guys into the backfield, and not slowly either.That had "nose tackle potential" all over it to me.

I was screaming at the TV. I thought that call was horseshit. He jumped trying to disrupt the pass, but all his momentum was moving forward so he couldn't avoid the hit. I hate some of the new rules. I thought that was a tremendous effort as well. Maybe we should just bring back leather helmets. Ain't nobody gonna try to lay a head to head hit with them things on lol. Maybe we might be talking about different plays. There was one play where one of our d-linemen got into the back field went airbourn to disrupt the pass and accidentally put grazed the face mask of the qb and the qb flopped to sell the flag.

 

I'm also not a fan of the immediate ejection. Maybe they should treat targeting like how they used to treat facemasks. Incidental- 5 yards. Intentional-15 yards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Holy hell. Our starting QB thinks it's not even an option to throw the ball away or run on 3rd & 10 in the opponents territory with over a minute left. I'm being 100% serious here, there are junior high QB's that know better than that. Did Sam not hear/understand the question or something? What an incredible answer. 

 

 

 

https://twitter.com/RickyDoyle/status/1036044051374587906

Yea i watched the post interview where he said that and was amazed as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

one of the most impressive plays I saw( not many to choose from) was the one where Wilbon was flagged for hands to the face. I wasnt thrilled with the flag, but did anyone else notice that he was double teamed on that play...left guard and center on him. He did have his hands on the guards face mask, but he was driving BOTH guys into the backfield, and not slowly either.That had "nose tackle potential" all over it to me.

What struck me about that was earlier in the game  there was a blatant hands to the face right in front of the ref that was never called against Maryland.

There were quite a few non calls or waived off flags that caught my attention but in the end good teams overcome that stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DMAC said:

What struck me about that was earlier in the game  there was a blatant hands to the face right in front of the ref that was never called against Maryland.

There were quite a few non calls or waived off flags that caught my attention but in the end good teams overcome that stuff.

We got Tulsa next week. USC week 3. The first year Maryland saw a Texas team with a new staff attempting to run a new scheme. This year we saw a Maryland team playing in honor of a fallen teammate. They got us in transition, and this year they were more hungry than last year.

With that being said I'm not a fan of how we have scheduled. Our non-conferene has been Walk, crawl, Run.  

 

Maybe we should be scheduling teams like Tulsa or San Jose St week 1. And schools like Maryland week 2. And USC week 3. Idk. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jameson McCausland said:

Even the casual fan can see the offensive line improvement, specifically in pass protection. The problem is the offensive line was so bad last year that an improvement means they are just average or maybe slightly above average. Texas needs to figure out what their identity is on offense and stick to it. Until that happens, the frustrations on that side of the ball will continue.

I agree with these sentiments although historically it takes an OL a game or two to get their mojo together. What we hope for here is gradual, steady improvement and minimal injuries.

The TD by Ingram . . that drive was one where we ran the ball successfully. We were getting 5-10 yards per run. And I was surprised to learn that the drive only took like 1:50 or so off the clock.

And then we acted like that never happened and leaned on the pass.

In the final two minutes, we emptied the backfield and they responded with rushing two and sinking everyone else in coverage.  We could have run the ball on a draw and picked up first downs. We had 2 minutes to play with. I did not like that series at all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DMAC said:

What struck me about that was earlier in the game  there was a blatant hands to the face right in front of the ref that was never called against Maryland.

There were quite a few non calls or waived off flags that caught my attention but in the end good teams overcome that stuff.

Totally agree.  The one non-call that stood out to me I think did have an impact was the horse collar that wasn't called on Brandon Jones punt return.  Jones got injured on that play and the Horns should've been starting the drive in Maryland territory.  Not saying Sam wouldn't still throw an interception, but it could've been different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One other thing . . . Herman talks about how they move the ball on our defense in practices. "And we're a pretty good defense."

Well Mensah, Orlando isn't game planning to beat you during practice. Its practice.

Maryland wants to beat you and thats what they put into everything they do for that week. smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I agree with these sentiments although historically it takes an OL a game or two to get their mojo together. What we hope for here is gradual, steady improvement and minimal injuries.

The TD by Ingram . . that drive was one where we ran the ball successfully. We were getting 5-10 yards per run. And I was surprised to learn that the drive only took like 1:50 or so off the clock.

And then we acted like that never happened and leaned on the pass.

In the final two minutes, we emptied the backfield and they responded with rushing two and sinking everyone else in coverage.  We could have run the ball on a draw and picked up first downs. We had 2 minutes to play with. I did not like that series at all.

 

@Sirhornsalot tell me your opinion on QB...Been curious to hear it. Do you believe if Herman is not going to utilize Sams leg AND theirs decent protection there should be a switch? or do you believe Texas rides it out? Play calling and subs were the biggest  factor but im curious on that hot topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

@Sirhornsalot tell me your opinion on QB...Been curious to hear it. Do you believe if Herman is not going to utilize Sams leg AND theirs decent protection there should be a switch? or do you believe Texas rides it out? Play calling and subs were the biggest  factor but im curious on that hot topic.

I was surprised we didn't see Buechele as early as the 2nd qtr. Things weren't working with Sam so why not?

Then we ripped off 22 unanswered and things looked under control.

My question now is – do you pull Sam in the final two minutes of any game since its obvious he's going to put the ball up for grabs at some point?

If Buechele is no better, then had the ball to Cam.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sirhornsalot said:

I was surprised we didn't see Buechele as early as the 2nd qtr. Things weren't working with Sam so why not?

Then we ripped off 22 unanswered and things looked under control.

My question now is – do you pull Sam in the final two minutes of any game since its obvious he's going to put the ball up for grabs at some point?

If Buechele is no better, then had the ball to Cam.

 

Not going to lie, i thought your answer would be complete opposite. I remember you being  a huge believer in Sam. As am I. But i believe enough is enough. Thats at least 5 Games that was in reach and Sam had a costly turn over. Glad we agree. I do hope to see Shane and Ingram starting against tulsa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, okiehorn said:

Not going to lie, i thought your answer would be complete opposite. I remember you being  a huge believer in Sam. As am I. But i believe enough is enough. Thats at least 5 Games that was in reach and Sam had a costly turn over. Glad we agree. I do hope to see Shane and Ingram starting against tulsa. 

I do believe in Sam. But not at the expense of the team. Sam needs more time to develop perhaps. He can't keep making those freshman mistakes.

I don't think Shane has reinvented himself but maybe he had the hot hand that day? You don't know unless you try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DMAC said:

What struck me about that was earlier in the game  there was a blatant hands to the face right in front of the ref that was never called against Maryland.

There were quite a few non calls or waived off flags that caught my attention but in the end good teams overcome that stuff.

DMac....I really didnt care about the hands to the face penalty, although I thought it was a shit call.....I was talking about how impressive that Wilbon was double teamed and he was driving BOTH blockers back into the back field. I dont know if I have ever seen that. Dude must be seriously strong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

WE SUCK UNTIL WE DON'T

I agree with the concept. I just hate saying the word "suck" with Texas involved.

We haven't arrived and we'll have to show we've arrived, such as beating TCU, KSU and OU in consecutive weeks. And I feel silly even suggesting that right now. Friggin Maryland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I agree with the concept. I just hate saying the word "suck" with Texas involved.

We haven't arrived and we'll have to show we've arrived, such as beating TCU, KSU and OU in consecutive weeks. And I feel silly even suggesting that right now. Friggin Maryland.

 

Saw this posted on another board. Texas is currently in the worst 100 stretch of games since 1939. Currently winning at 51%... A few more losses and it will be the worst stretch in history. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I was surprised we didn't see Buechele as early as the 2nd qtr. Things weren't working with Sam so why not?

Then we ripped off 22 unanswered and things looked under control.

My question now is – do you pull Sam in the final two minutes of any game since its obvious he's going to put the ball up for grabs at some point?

If Buechele is no better, then had the ball to Cam.

 

This is not baseball. You don't bring in a relief pitcher. It's nothing personal against Sam, but I hate quarterbacks who make mistakes in the fourth quarter. If it nerves or choking then many sports performers will get hypnosis especially golfers. My favorite UT QBs were Vince and James Street. Both QB's were played in the 4th quarter instead of shrinking.

If Sam continues to make mistakes in the fourth quarter then I would prefer then put in Sam and then Cam.  We need a QB in the 4th quarter the team and the fans can have confident in the 4th in Sam can't do that then next man up.

Hypnosis and Sports Performance

Athletes may realize themselves or be told that they aren’t making plays they once made. They feel they are “choking” under pressure, are failing to execute important plays, or missing the “goal”.

https://hypnosis.edu/articles/sports-hypnosis-specialist

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

One other thing . . . Herman talks about how they move the ball on our defense in practices. "And we're a pretty good defense."

Well Mensah, Orlando isn't game planning to beat you during practice. Its practice.

Maryland wants to beat you and thats what they put into everything they do for that week. smh

Moving the ball on our defense doesn’t look quite as impressive now either.  Maryland didn’t seem to have too much trouble.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

🏈 Texas vs. Baylor

  • Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

McLane Stadium
Waco, TX
Kickoff Time TBA - TV TBA


  • 2021 Texas Football Schedule

    Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/4
    Louisiana
    W 38-18
    9/11
    @Arkansas
    L 21-40
    9/18
    Rice
    W 58-0
    9/25
    Texas Tech
    W 70-35
    10/2
    @TCU
    W 32-27
    10/9
    Oklahoma
    L 48-55
    10/16
    Oklahoma State
    L 24-32
    10/30
    @Baylor
    11/6
    @Iowa State
    11/13
    Kansas
    11/20
    @West Virginia
    11/27
    Kansas State

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...