Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Five Thoughts Following The Loss To Maryland

Daniel Seahorn

11 hours ago, jrcruz1026 said:

It's honestly as if this program is cursed, it's a bit funny but the look Charlie had in his post game conference after the Kansas debacle; Herman had the same demeanor today, it's sad.. we have created a program that destroys good coaches, they come in with tons of confidence and then at some point, that confidence fades, I see it now in Herman... God Speed 

This is profound.  If I were to commission a committee to figure out why great coaches elsewhere come here to fail, since 2009, I would first accumulate data as to the extra obligations the LHN places on coaches / players and the effect of those stupid cameras have - everywhere you turn.  Remember, Mack Brown complained about this very thing. Does the LHN launch not pretty much coincide with the football program’s decent to mediocricy?  

You look back on most all of the running attempts and it is so slow getting moving. It looked almost like the option out of the wishbone, where you stick the ball in his stomach and ride with him and either give it or pull it and continue with the option. That takes way too long to develop. I would have to look back, but i am sure it took several seconds for Sam to let go of the ball and the running back take off......by then the line of scrimmage was beginning to break down. You can't block most guys 5-6 seconds every time. The OL looks better. I think we would get production out of most of our backs if within a second or so they were hitting the line full speed or getting to the edge with it. Just my two cents, but it seems to be the case. I am sure the coaches will identify this and we will see change this coming week. :P

2 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

The defense again lost the lead late in the game. Is the defense good are only look good playing the offense in pratice.'

IMO it would help to forget all the co cordinaters and put it all on one man. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen.

I May be ignorant but defense gave up 10 points in the second half WITHOUT there BEST LB...without the goal line stop from the "bad defense" Texas wouldn't even had a chance at the late drive. ......i dont understand this madness. The offense gave the ball up 3 consecutive positions in the last 7 min or so and we are going to pitch a fit about defense. Im thankful they didnt score a few more at the end personally. 

51 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

agree with Daniel, Texas defense struggled big time for quarter and a half or so. I was worried. i even thought we were toast once Gary got thrown out. BUT they stepped up huge in second half. after the Fumble i didnt think UT would get the ball back and defense made that happen. Once again they had the team on there back. Now that i slept on it im not nearly as upset. Texas does have potential. I hate to admit it but i dont believe we have the right QB in the game. And putting Rising in IS NOT the answer. We need to develop a QB. Last 10 years playing freshman has been the normal and look where we are. With the O-Line doing well in pass protection lets give Shane a shot. Never thought id say that, but if that is the identity i want Shane and Ingram. 

I didn't think Sam did all that bad until that last pass.  He made some nice throws and his misses were not that far off and on the safe side until then.  The other interception was a tipped ball.  His legs got us some yards and kept him from being sacked a few times.  If anything, he was hesitant to use them at times when he had an opening.

I seriously question the use of Porter, and am really excited about the future of Ingram, but just didn't get to see enough of how he would do on pass pro.  My guess is that that is what limited his playing time.  I expect we'll see a lot more of him in the Tulsa game.

Agree on the defense.  Also, backs and returners need to put both hands on the ball when they know they are about to make contact.

1 minute ago, UTfish said:

I didn't think Sam did all that bad until that last pass.  He made some nice throws and his misses were not that far off and on the safe side until then.  The other interception was a tipped ball.  His legs got us some yards and kept him from being sacked a few times.  If anything, he was hesitant to use them at times when he had an opening.

I seriously question the use of Porter, and am really excited about the future of Ingram, but just didn't get to see enough of how he would do on pass pro.  My guess is that that is what limited his playing time.  I expect we'll see a lot more of him in the Tulsa game.

Agree on the defense.  Also, backs and returners need to put both hands on the ball when they know they are about to make contact.

Even if the ball isnt tipped it was clearly thrown in triple coverage. Was a bone head throw. And the "last" pass is exactly why im saying Texas needs to try someone new. He cannot finish. Yes this wasnt all on his shoulders but a leader learns from there mistakes. That makes 5 games now that shaped up similar to Maryland under Sam. I am and was his biggest fan but this is reality.

9 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Even if the ball isnt tipped it was clearly thrown in triple coverage. Was a bone head throw. And the "last" pass is exactly why im saying Texas needs to try someone new. He cannot finish. Yes this wasnt all on his shoulders but a leader learns from there mistakes. That makes 5 games now that shaped up similar to Maryland under Sam. I am and was his biggest fan but this is reality.

Sam always finds a way to lose the game at the appointed time.

36 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

The defense again lost the lead late in the game. Is the defense good are only look good playing the offense in pratice.'

IMO it would help to forget all the co cordinaters and put it all on one man. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen.

There was almost an entire quarter left when Maryland took that lead. And the defense bowed its neck and held them to a short fg to keep the game from being put away. 

At the end of the day, I’m not nearly as concerned about the defense as I am the offense and that’s troubling considering who is running the show. 

6 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Sam always finds a way to lose the game at the appointed time.

17 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Can't argue against that.

3 hours ago, texasdalton said:

9-3 is what most on here were calling before the game. I think we will do better still. Give the coaching staff this year and then decide. Bunch of idiots can’t even give the man a full 2 years to right the ship.

Agreed. Coaching turnover sets schools very behind in recruiting. And the good thing about Texas, coaches don't leave for other jobs. It's a job coaches retire at. And for the all the fans who would want to fire Herman and Co after year 2, who would we hire? Matt Campbell? C'mon now.

This is just my personal opinion, but I have a feeling that Herman was calling a lot of plays yesterday. He had the play sheet in front of him again and was very involved. Like he said in his presser last week, all short comings on offense should be blamed on him. He is the ultimate decision maker. If he wanted Ingram in the game he could have turned to Drayton and said, "Put 26 back in there".

2 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

This is just my personal opinion, but I have a feeling that Herman was calling a lot of plays yesterday. He had the play sheet in front of him again and was very involved. Like he said in his presser last week, all short comings on offense should be blamed on him. He is the ultimate decision maker. If he wanted Ingram in the game he could have turned to Drayton and said, "Put 26 back in there".

So how do you feel about this? Thing it was bone head play calling or bad execution? Curious what the other kids think 

We need to stop with this position by committee approach with WR and RB. It’s almost like they feel compelled to get everyone involved because everyone is a good player. Give one rb the rock 20+ times and the starting WR core THE opportunities to make a play when the run has been established. I saw a run game that can win games.

1 minute ago, Drunk and lost in ATX said:

One we thing we all know is that Herman is a good recruiter and talent evaluator. Now as far as X's & I'd go I have my doubts, but building a stout lime takes more than one class. Question... How many lineman do we have red shirted?

There is no proof that Herman is a good talent evaluator and when it comes to picking his assistant coaches there are questions about that.

29 minutes ago, primal defense said:

There is no proof that Herman is a good talent evaluator and when it comes to picking his assistant coaches there are questions about that.

orlando is a good DC. Beck, I'm losing faith. And check Houston for example. Who's the best Defensive linemen in the country? Who recruited him?

after yesterday's flop I am very concerned about USC and OU, they both have some serious firepower and will hang a ton of points on the Horns if they play like they did yesterday

Like any true Horn fan, am I bitter over the dismal performance at MD, you damn right I am, I expected more, we deserve better

I think a large problem is the fact that Texas can’t pick a back. It’s too early to deem Ingram as “the guy”, but eventually I would like to see him get the bulk of the work based on what I saw yesterday. This continual switch in backs just makes it harder to build an identity. 

Texas seems cursed to me.  This team looks slow and at times unorganized.

My wife and I watched Bama and I saw bits of the ou and TCU game.  Sorry but Maryland is not the defensive juggernaut.  We are not even close to that level explosiveness on either side of the ball.

Maybe we see a big difference like last year in the second game but this is the second year in a row where Herman has made some bonehead decisions.  Splitting out Porter wide was the WTF moment for me.  This guy is Mensa?  Give me a break.  A pee-wee football coach knows better than that.

Its the same story as last year.  Questionable personnel, questionable play calls, etc but this time we cant blame OL injuries.  Hermans player rotation philosphy is total crap.  Call it what it is and stop giving him a pass.  I mean seriously Maryland just beat us 2 years in a row folks.  MARYLAND Football?

1 hour ago, Drunk and lost in ATX said:

orlando is a good DC. Beck, I'm losing faith. And check Houston for example. Who's the best Defensive linemen in the country? Who recruited him?

Bad example. Ed Oliver was one of the top recruits in the country. Credit Herman for recruiting him, but it had nothing to do with talent evaluator. 

1 hour ago, texasdalton said:

We need to stop with this position by committee approach with WR and RB. It’s almost like they feel compelled to get everyone involved because everyone is a good player. Give one rb the rock 20+ times and the starting WR core THE opportunities to make a play when the run has been established. I saw a run game that can win games.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  Split the carry's between Watson/Ingram and use Young in short yardage situations.  Watson and Ingram can get into a good game rhythm and Young is a powerful back.  Stick with getting the ball to Johnson against smaller DBs, LJH over the middle, and Duverney on deep shots.  You can sprinkle in some Heard, Burt, and Moore here and there, but keep getting the ball to the main three.

10 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Bad example. Ed Oliver was one of the top recruits in the country. Credit Herman for recruiting him, but it had nothing to do with talent evaluator. 

Greg Ward Jr. ,Duke Catalon, all the complentray pieces on the UH d-line. And Ta'Quon Graham didn't look to bad. Needs to bulk up but he looked like he can have a promising future.