Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mike Davis to leave Texas for the NFL

Wes

ESPN (Mike Davis of Texas Longhorns to enter NFL draft - ESPN) is reporting that Mike Davis will leave Texas to pursue a career in the NFL.

This is big news, and not the best news, for Texas because Mike Davis was one of the leading receiver for the Longhorns. Before last season started, I thought that Mike Davis and Jaxon Shipley would be like 1A and 1B options (not in any order). Though I thought Shipley may do better, Davis actually ended up with the better stats. In his bounce-back junior season Davis tallied 57 receptions (2nd to Shipley's 59) for 939 receiving yards (led team) and 7 TD's (led receivers). Davis also led all receivers in yards-per-catch with 16.5 (led receivers who had more than 10 receptions) and recorded the longest touchdown past from scrimmage with his 75-yard bomb against Texas Tech in early November.

There's no doubt Mike Davis has talent that can succeed at the next level. He is explosive and also is a great with the ball in his hands after the catch. The one area where he needs to improve is catching the ball because he it struggle with drops from time to time. As of right now I think 3rd round is what he's looking at. Maybe 2nd if he has a great combine and Pro Day at UT.

For Texas, this does hurt because Ash and Davis had a great connection on the field. But Texas still has good depth at the receiver position and I expect guys like Cayleb Jones, Marcus Johnson, John Harris, Bryant Jackson, and Kendall Sanders to all fight for playing time. Soon to be freshman, Jacorey Warrick and Jake Oliver could also see some action as well, but Texas will need to find a new deep threat at receiver because that's where Davis excelled.

It's tough news for the Longhorns because Davis had some great production opposite Shipley this past season. But at the end of the day I can't blame the guy for going after the paycheck and doing what's best for his family.

Hook'em

Edited by Wes

We have no deep threats yet*. Come on now! Let's be positive!

Ya, realistically there isn't a receiver who you would think is a prototypical deep threat receiver on the roster right now. But there are definitely a lot of guys to try at that position.

• Administrators
It does suck but I think Kendall Sanders will surprise a lot of people next year.

Warrick will be an immediate slot guy that gives results. Sanders should do some damage too. Disheartening because Davis was becoming a monster.

• Administrators

Davis leaves UT at #7 on the career receiving list. Check out the top 10:

1. Roy Williams _________________________________3,866 (2000-03)

2. Jordan Shipley ________________________________3,191 (2006-09)

3. Mike Adams _________________________________3,032 (1992-96)

4. Quan Cosby __________________________________2,598 (2005-08)

5. B.J. Johnson __________________________________2,389 (2000-03)

6. Kwame Cavil _________________________________2,279 (1997-99)

7. Mike Davis ___________________________________1,996 (2010- )

8. Limas Sweed _________________________________1,915 (2004-07)

9. Tony Jones __________________________________1,842 (1986-89)

10. Wane McGarity _______________________________1,687 (1995-98)

Davis could have easily moved up to # 4 after another year on the field.

Best of luck to Mike and along with Goodwin a big loss. Caleb's Jones' daddy wanted to see him on the field and here is his chance.

Now for next year I see Shipley, of course, and I like Jake Oliver to have an impact. Young receivers like Kendall Sanders, Marcus Johnson, and Cayleb Jones will need to step up, but they combined for only 4 receptions in 2012.

We might get a glimpse of Daje Johnson as a WR. He could add something a lot of the other receivers can't and that's speed.

• Administrators
Joe Schad confirms that Dwight How..errr Mike Davis will be returning. And I say Hell to the Yes to that news. Mike, Shipley, Cayleb... Pick your poison Big12

Guzzling Wild Turkey shots right now in celebration.... The larger issue is WTF did Schad say to him???? It's not like Davis called him and said "Hey Joe, guess what? I decided to enter the NFL Draft and forego my senior season." Schad might have pushed this thing...

Guzzling Wild Turkey shots right now in celebration.... The larger issue is WTF did Schad say to him???? It's not like Davis called him and said "Hey Joe, guess what? I decided to enter the NFL Draft and forego my senior season." Schad might have pushed this thing...

then Hook'em Schads

then Hook'em Schads