Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, texasdalton said:

Is anyone going to comment on how the visit went with Milton?

I'll give a break down based on what I've heard.

Milton did not feel he got enough of Texas so he stayed another day. His primary interests during the extra day was the academic side and campus.

First day was great, but everything was mapped out with little academic input. It was an unofficial, after all. 

I was told we believe we made a lasting impression on Milton and staff expects him to return for an OV. I was told that most thought Milton didn't expect to like UT as much as he did.

Re-Ranking the Top 10 Recruiting Classes of the 2015 Cycle

7. Texas

Original rank: 10
Record since 2015: 27–24
Conference titles: 0
College Football Playoff appearances: 0
New Year’s Six bowl appearances: 1
National titles: 0

Major contributors: LB Malik Jefferson, CB Holton Hill, LB Anthony Wheeler, RB Chris Warren, DB Kris Boyd, OG Patrick Vahe, S DeShon Elliott, CB Davante Davis, OT Connor Williams, DE Charles Omenihu, S P.J. Locke, DE Breckyn Hager.

After Charlie Strong was fired at Texas, he said he had “baked the cake” and that Tom Herman needed only to apply the icing. That wasn’t entirely true, but a look back at Strong’s penultimate class shows that he at least acquired many of the key ingredients. Jefferson, Warren, Elliott and Williams had already moved on to the NFL before this season, but the rest provided the backbone for a team that went to the Big 12 title game and won the Sugar Bowl. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/25/recruiting-class-2015-rankings-clemson-alabama

17 hours ago, texasdalton said:

Is anyone going to comment on how the visit went with Milton?

It’s never a bad thing when a recruit of his caliber stays an extra night in Austin to get more time on campus. The goal now is to try to get another UOV with his dad being able to attend and then get him back for an official. Texas did well, but it’s still early. 

SMU should be proud.

AAF Week 4 QB Rankings: Garrett Gilbert easily No. 1, and here's who else makes our top five

1. Garrett Gilbert, Orlando Apollos

Season stats: 48-of-81, 827 yards passing, 5 TDs, 0 INTs

You were expecting whom, exactly? Not only does Gilbert have the best passing numbers in the AAF, but as he showed in last Saturday's win over Memphis, he's a capable runner when asked. Gilbert's situation works because he's under the right coach (Steve Spurrier) and has weapons around him, including Jalin Marshall and Charles Johnson. Gilbert has always had the physical traits to be a successful quarterback, he just hasn't always had the right situation to succeed. That's changed now, it seems, and Gilbert dropping dimes on the run is extremely my jam.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-week-4-qb-rankings-garrett-gilbert-easily-no-1-and-heres-who-else-makes-our-top-five/

Guest PleaseDeleteUser
2 hours ago, primal defense said:

SMU should be proud.

AAF Week 4 QB Rankings: Garrett Gilbert easily No. 1, and here's who else makes our top five

1. Garrett Gilbert, Orlando Apollos

Season stats: 48-of-81, 827 yards passing, 5 TDs, 0 INTs

You were expecting whom, exactly? Not only does Gilbert have the best passing numbers in the AAF, but as he showed in last Saturday's win over Memphis, he's a capable runner when asked. Gilbert's situation works because he's under the right coach (Steve Spurrier) and has weapons around him, including Jalin Marshall and Charles Johnson. Gilbert has always had the physical traits to be a successful quarterback, he just hasn't always had the right situation to succeed. That's changed now, it seems, and Gilbert dropping dimes on the run is extremely my jam.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-week-4-qb-rankings-garrett-gilbert-easily-no-1-and-heres-who-else-makes-our-top-five/

Also maybe he's just WAY more mature. Look how much Sam has grown over his starts. Hell people were calling Vince to be a TE 1/2 through his career. Most guys just need time to grow into the position. 

16 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

I have a feeling that we will have the #1 class nationally in 2020. I like the way it’s shaping up

I would love to think we would, but I wonder. Our class could be small, numbers-wise. And right now if we landed two five-stars and a four-star, we'd still be behind Bama at this point.

We may end up at #1 and I'd certainly love that. But right now I'd be pretty ecstatic over another Top 3 finish. When you're up there in nose-bleed section, the differences between a Bama, Georgia or soon to be Texas are pretty minimal and can come down to prep and coaching/scheme alone.

Guest PleaseDeleteUser
1 hour ago, dillohorn said:

If a program recruits in the top 10 every season, it should be able to fill it's needs.

I'd say if a program recruits in the top 10 it should BE in the top 10. Simple as that. Rest is player development and coaching which appear to be on track. 

On 2/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, RDHookEm said:

Wouldn’t necessarily say that. Alabama’s local talent is the entire US. They pull top guys from everywhere. 

You understand the meaning of local right?  They recruit nationally because they’re good.  That doesn’t change the meaning of local

40 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Not a word about Sam.

2019 Heisman odds analysis: Tua vs. Trevor, sleepers, long shots

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26092734/2019-heisman-odds-analysis-tua-vs-trevor-sleepers-long-shots

shocked!....I tell you shocked that an ESPN analyst ignored Sam....

Frankly, I am somewhat happy that Sam is going to be able to start without the added pressure of being a Heisman favorite.

Guest PleaseDeleteUser
3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Frankly, I am somewhat happy that Sam is going to be able to start without the added pressure of being a Heisman favorite.

Anyone that watched Mond and Sam last year knows. Sam is light years ahead. Mond's mechanics still are very suspect. Mond might continue to grow into a good QB, but Sam already is one. 

18 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I would love to think we would, but I wonder. Our class could be small, numbers-wise. And right now if we landed two five-stars and a four-star, we'd still be behind Bama at this point.

We may end up at #1 and I'd certainly love that. But right now I'd be pretty ecstatic over another Top 3 finish. When you're up there in nose-bleed section, the differences between a Bama, Georgia or soon to be Texas are pretty minimal and can come down to prep and coaching/scheme alone.

i agree 1 will be hard, but i dont think we will have a small class. i think 24 minimum. i feel we will get to 25 

1-QB

2- RB

3-WR

5-OL

1/2-Ath(includes 1 that could play TE/H-back)

4-DL

1-B-backer

2-LB

6-DB(includes NB)

4 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Don't worry it's only Athlon, so that shouldn't cause more pressure.

After finishing second in 2018, Tua Tagovailoa will likely enter the season as the Heisman favorite

5. Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas

While “Texas is back” has become a running joke across the college football media universe, at least one figure staunchly believes it to be true. After all, it was Ehlinger who said so very publicly after leading Texas to an upset victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. The victory was No. 10 of the season for the Horns, who also played in the Big 12 Championship Game and beat conference champ and playoff participant Oklahoma during the regular season. If the Longhorns take the next step in 2019 and win the league title outright, and at least challenge for a playoff spot, Ehlinger will likely have played a huge role in it. Though rightfully overshadowed by OU’s back-to-back Heisman winners, the rising junior emerged as one of the best QBs in the Big 12 last season while he completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 3,296 yards, 25 touchdowns, and only five interceptions, and also ran for 482 yards and 16 scores on the ground.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-look-top-heisman-trophy-contenders-2019