Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

40 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Alec Bryant committed to LSU. It was an LSU-OU battle. OU recruiting, on the defensive side, seems to be trending down quite a bit.

OU defense trending down, how is that possible? I mean their defense was horrible last season. You have to be a pretty bad recruiter if you can’t sell immediate playing time.

3 minutes ago, texasdalton said:

OU defense trending down, how is that possible? I mean their defense was horrible last season. You have to be a pretty bad recruiter if you can’t sell immediate playing time.

Let's do a quick recap:

1.  Bryant was a top priority for them.  Big loss.

2.  Tatum and Green transfer out.

3.  Prince Dorbah says new defensive staff isn't recruiting him very hard.

Not sure what's going on at OU but please continue.

33 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Let's do a quick recap:

1.  Bryant was a top priority for them.  Big loss.

2.  Tatum and Green transfer out.

3.  Prince Dorbah says new defensive staff isn't recruiting him very hard.

Not sure what's going on at OU but please continue.

This is a good trend. Mike Stoops may have been a shitty Dc but was a thorn when it came to recruiting.

tired of losing people to wagon thieves 

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Broughton, Broughton, Broughton – must take the best DL in Texas this year. Because we can and because we should.

Evans at RB. The AZ RB intrigues me.

Lindberg and George are the only two left to fill out the OL class.

I've not really looked at TEs in this class.

Safety and CBs are where it gets dicey. The class is loaded with both and many are being recruited by us. When you have a bunch of fish, just cast a bigger net. Thats what UT has done here. We'll take the first who come but there's one or two I think they're especially fond of.

I think what you're seeing in many cases with whom we're recruiting – look at their 100 times, 40 times, etc. They're fast. I think the OU game last year made an impression on Tom Herman. OU has some friggin speed. And I think you'll see us go after that a lot in this class.

Nice post.... two responses:

Who is “the Arizona RB?”

CTH literally said after the first OU game that Texas needs speed like what he just saw.  

Impact players still available in transfer portal

JONAH JACKSON, OG, RUTGERS

8334857.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: John Otterstedt/ ScarletNation.com)

247Sports Transfer Ranking: No. 5

A former three-star recruit, Jackson’s become one of the most sought-after names on the transfer market. Why? The grad transfer and former Scarlet Knights captain is a plug-and-play lineman capable of manning any position along the offensive line. He’s particular suited to the interior, where he’s made starts at both center and guard the last few seasons. Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas, among others, are in hot pursuit of Jackson, who’ll start on a contender next season wherever he lands.

PARKER BRAUN, OG, GEORGIA TECH

Parker Braun (Photo: Georgia Tech Athletics)

247Sports Transfer Ranking: No. 7

A two-time all-ACC selection at Georgia Tech, Braun is a graduate transfer who can step into almost any o-line in the country and contribute. He’s a hot commodity, too. Braun’s already taken a visit to Florida, and Texas and Ohio State are also pursing the Hallsville, Texas native. A 6-foot-3, 280-pound lineman is used to pulling and moving within Georgia Tech’s triple-option system, Braun is the type of athletic, high-motor interior presence who fits in anywhere.

DREW RICHMOND, OT. TENNESSEE

8641887.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Jay Anderson/Icon Sportswire, Getty)

247Sports Transfer Ranking: No. 49

There’s no more valuable transfer prize than a starting tackle outside of quarterback. Richmond (6-foot-5, 316 pounds) isn’t elite, but the former No. 56 overall player in the country is an experienced presence who’s looking to put one final consistent season on tape for the NFL. Texas is a school in hot pursuit of Richmond, but almost every offensive line-needy team will reach out. A three-year starter at tackle – he’s played on the left and right side – Richmond is a grad transfer who’ll provide immediate help wherever he lands.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-transfer-portal-impact-players-still-available-2019--129058080/#129058080_7

Take Two: Could Zachary Evans be best Lone Star RB of Rivals era?

Adam Gorney and Mike Farrell
Rivals.com

Qzejnmyfszu271zskbck

Zachary Evans
Rivals.com

MORE TAKE TWO: Is tight end the best future fit for five-star Arik Gilbert?

Many months ago, the question was asked whether five-star running back 

could end up as the best running back from the state of Texas during the Rivals.com era, even more highly respected than  , as ridiculous as that might sound.

Peterson finished as the No. 1 player in the 2004 class, starred at Oklahoma and has gone on to have an amazing NFL career. While predicting Evans’ path is nearly impossible, the Houston (Texas) North Shore running back is special in so many ways and could already be regarded as the second-best running back from the state of Texas since Rivals.com started in 2002.

Evans is fast, looks like a million bucks, has incredible versatility, impresses in every game and at every event, and just looks like a different level of player in the 2020 class.

There have been 10 five-star running backs in Texas - Evans, Peterson, 

,  ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  and  .

The jury is still out but many feel Evans is already No. 2 on that list. We revisit the idea of Evans possibly becoming the best back from the state.

icons_rivalsdatabase_modal_icon-09d74c9f6ebcc83cb0a94ef792a69ba648c051e8558216ce4858fedc95a355a3.svg
gsuuidbikqfudqpxvfrv

-

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION

RANK
6'0" | 195 LBS | RB
NORTH SHORE
HOUSTON, TX
CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

FIRST TAKE: JASON SUCHOMEL, ORANGEBLOODS.COM

“It's a pretty safe claim to say that Evans is in fact the best back the state of Texas has produced since Adrian Peterson. Could he overtake Peterson? That's going to be tough. Maybe it's nostalgia, but Peterson is one of the best overall talents I've ever seen in two decades of covering recruits. Evans will have every school in America giving chase, but with the Longhorns' need at running back, I think the importance of Texas landing him trumps all other schools' needs. He is the top priority for Texas in this class because of his natural talent and because of UT's needs at running back.”

SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM

“First, I don’t think he’s better than Adrian Peterson. He’s probably one of the top two running backs I’ve ever seen in my career. We will see how Evans’ senior year turns out. He’s compared to him because he has an upright running style, he can do so many different things, he has great vision, he can run between the tackles or bounce it outside.

“It’s most important for Texas to get him because this is the type of kid it needs to keep in-state. If the Longhorns want to take the next step in the Big 12, they can’t let any other team steal this kid away. Texas A&M is intriguing because of the SEC, Oklahoma got Peterson back in the day and is a power, but it’s most important for Texas

https://n.rivals.com/news/take-two-could-zachary-evans-be-best-lone-star-rb-of-rivals-era-

5 hours ago, HORNfromETX said:

Looks like CBs Watts and Eaton are both high on Texas. Would Texas take them both right now?

https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Watts-46079300/

https://247sports.com/Player/Joshua-Eaton-46042923/

Remember K Ringo Is a top priority and has shown a lot of interest. I hope we take 6 DBs in 2020

My take on recruiting needs.

QB  have one more usually leads to transfers.

RB need two Evans and Calif. guy would be great.

WR need three several to choose from

TE  Not a btg need unless transfers.

OL need five or six dends on Hudson 

DE need one

DT need two maybe three

LB need three.

CB need two

Saftey need two

Atrition changes this then just recruit where player left ftrom.

Kicker and Punter ok 

I was told "nothing to see here."

Apparently, UT feels extremely comfortable with where things stand with Broughton, Dorbah and Collins. Those three specifically were said to be so into Texas that it could happen at any time, or could play out a while longer. But things could not be better with those three.

Nothing eminent regarding the Fong thing unless Fong knows something my buddy does not.

49 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I was told "nothing to see here."

Apparently, UT feels extremely comfortable with where things stand with Broughton, Dorbah and Collins. Those three specifically were said to be so into Texas that it could happen at any time, or could play out a while longer. But things could not be better with those three.

Nothing eminent regarding the Fong thing unless Fong knows something my buddy does not.

Alfred Collins is Fong'd to aggy.  It was put in before Texas offered him though.