Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

59 minutes ago, primal defense said:

You might want to think about not following recruiting if you don't want anyone making recruiting comparisons especially on signing day. 

Nah, I’ll follow but mentioning where we are in comparison to OU should b left off cause we’ve spanked their ass in recruiting several years in a row only to get our asses handed to us when it counts on the field. How about just mentioning where we place? Top ten, top 5 etc obviously the recruiting ranking compared to OU and for that matter Baylor, TCU or Iowa St doesn’t mean squat if performance on the field doesn’t match it? No?  I mean if I was with a rival school the first thing I would mention was “how about you get back to us when you can compete with Baylor or Iowa st first”  Just my two cents but I’m a little old school. 

2 hours ago, aUTfan said:

Man, I know we need good classes but I really don’t give two shits about the ranking comparisons, show me the f##king hardware. OU has won the conference 5 years in a row, they have scoreboard. I don’t know about any one else but enough with the aggy and OU class comparisons until that other freaking stat, the one that actually counts, changes. 

just a request to the board, not trying to call any specific person out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You might consider that one will eventually lead to the other. 

8 minutes ago, aUTfan said:

Nah, I’ll follow but mentioning where we are in comparison to OU should b left off cause we’ve spanked their ass in recruiting several years in a row only to get our asses handed to us when it counts on the field. How about just mentioning where we place? Top ten, top 5 etc obviously the recruiting ranking compared to OU and for that matter Baylor, TCU or Iowa St doesn’t mean squat if performance on the field doesn’t match it? No?  I mean if I was with a rival school the first thing I would mention was “how about you get back to us when you can compete with Baylor or Iowa st first”  Just my two cents but I’m a little old school. 

I'm afraid it would be easier and more rational for you to just get over it. OU is our measuring bar, which is why you bothered pointing out scoreboard and their titles.

OU hasn't had transition classes (Charlie, CTH) like we have had to deal with. When Riley was hired, he was already their OC so it was seamless.

I want to be thoughtful to others, but a lot of other people are interested in how we stack up with the gooners.

While I do see aUTfan's point, I follow recruiting for this exact reason...seeing how our class is measuring up to other programs. THC will have upperclassmen which he recruited and we'll get to see first-hand what his body of work yields. My hope and anticipation is we'll see a paradigm shift in the narrative about our program next season. 

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You might consider that one will eventually lead to the other. 

But it hasn’t so far. We’ve had better recruiting classes than ou most years. But it hasn’t shown up on the field. 

4 minutes ago, Wayne said:

But it hasn’t so far. We’ve had better recruiting classes than ou most years. But it hasn’t shown up on the field. 

Not really.

In 2017 for example, Texas had the 25th ranked class. OU had the #8 ranked class. There is a wide, wide gap there. And this was Sam Ehlinger's class.

49 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Not really.

In 2017 for example, Texas had the 25th ranked class. OU had the #8 ranked class. There is a wide, wide gap there. And this was Sam Ehlinger's class.

Yes, really...

Since 2010.  (I'd take their decade of football. But we sure beat them in February.) 

Texas ou
2010 2 5
2011 4 13
2012 2 12
2013 17 16
2014 17 14
2015 10 15
2016 7 19
2017 25 8
2018 3 9
2019 3 8
2020 9 11

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

Yes, really...

Since 2010.  (I'd take their decade of football. But we sure beat them in February.) 

Texas ou
2010 2 5
2011 4 13
2012 2 12
2013 17 16
2014 17 14
2015 10 15
2016 7 19
2017 25 8
2018 3 9
2019 3 8
2020 9 11

You win.

You don't consider the details such as why would the Stoops years even matter right now? Or the way Charlie recruited and how so many of his never materialized.

IMO 2017 class would matter simply because they'll be seniors (still playing).

Whatever ill feelings you have with OU, and I have plenty of my own, I'm not the source of them.

32 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You win.

You don't consider the details such as why would the Stoops years even matter right now? Or the way Charlie recruited and how so many of his never materialized.

IMO 2017 class would matter simply because they'll be seniors (still playing).

Whatever ill feelings you have with OU, and I have plenty of my own, I'm not the source of them.

The Stoops years don’t matter anymore. The Charlie years don’t matter anymore. But 2017 was still a top 25 class the three years around it were 3, 3, and 7. What have we accomplished.

One 10-4 season and mediocrity.  And 10-4 is barely better than mediocrity.  

All I want is for us to live up to the recruiting rankings.  I’m tired of being disappointed a few games into the season.  CTH needs to do something.  He has delivered improvement (from a low bar).  He now needs to break through and deliver.

And remember ou’s 19th ranked class from 2016 just played in the playoff.  There is no excuse.  Just deliver.

I have no ill feelings toward ou other than rivalry... And they have an inferior school.  I live in Ohio now and I have friends that went to ou.  I have fun until they and OSU go to the playoffs and we go to San Antonio to play in the Alamo Bowl. 

Ehlinger was a Charlie recruit, so yeah, thats still in play.

Charlie screwed us in recruiting, never really recruiting to need and always waiting until the pickings were slim. Took risks that didn't pan out.

But yea, this is a recruiting thread so you'll likely see OU, aggy and others included in this conversation.

53 minutes ago, wadster said:

Rankings don't matter until you see who sticks. We get a bump by McCoy who never plays a down. Should we take him off and recalc? I mean what's more important is who at least makes it past year 1. 

That much we agree on

2 hours ago, wadster said:

Rankings don't matter until you see who sticks. We get a bump by McCoy who never plays a down. Should we take him off and recalc? I mean what's more important is who at least makes it past year 1. 

Agree.  You could add Floyd, Brown, and so far, Whittington.

18 hours ago, aUTfan said:

Man, I know we need good classes but I really don’t give two shits about the ranking comparisons, show me the f##king hardware. OU has won the conference 5 years in a row, they have scoreboard. I don’t know about any one else but enough with the aggy and OU class comparisons until that other freaking stat, the one that actually counts, changes. 

just a request to the board, not trying to call any specific person out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Entering a discussion forum and telling people not to discuss usually doesn’t go well.  

37 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Final tally

19 commits

one 5 star

fourteen 4 stars

four 3 stars

91.90 avg---Good for 5th...

270.93 points

9th 247 composite

1st in the Big 12

Overall pretty damn good considering..

247 still has Collins as a 5*?

14 minutes ago, UTfish said:

247 still has Collins as a 5*?

Correct. He is a 5* on their ratings.

However, he is a 4* in the composite ratings which combine 247, Rivals, and ESPN. 247 produce 2 sets of ratings.