Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, drgilbert said:

If have read on other sites that we will only be able to take 19 or less 

Herman and Co will get it all worked out. 

There's always some type of attrition (NFL, transfer, medical, etc.) I think the class will be in the low twenties when it is all said and done.

4-star WDE James Sylvester is interested in the Longhorns

James_Sylvester.0.thumb.jpg.999ea9cf595f69fd26104a9131484a00.jpg

The Newton standout is a name to know as the 2019 cycle comes to a close and attention shifts entirely to 2020.

The Texas Longhorns have been extremely selective in extending offers out to defensive linemen for the 2020 cycle thus far. Only seven up-and-coming prospects along the defensive trenches in next year’s class have received an opportunity from the Horns, but could Tom Herman and company be on the verge of offering another top edge rusher in-state?

Newton weak-side defensive end James Sylvester is a rising pass rusher that is a massive kid with the ability to be a complete terror to quarterbacks when once he begins to unleash his full potential. Because of Sylvester’s physical attributes and early on field success, he’s been able to notch a total of 11 offers from programs such as Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M. Sylvester is pleased with how his recruiting is going at the moment, and has some premier schools that have his attention early. 

“It’s been going good,” Sylvester told BON. “OU is on me hard, Georgia, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma State and Arkansas. They’ve all been showing love.”

Sylvester and the Longhorns were in heavy talks last summer, but things have died down between the two over the past few months. The four-star standout isn’t quite fond of how Texas has backed off as far as recruiting him hard. 

“They talk to me a lot still, but they’ve been easing up on me a bit,” Sylvester said. “They used to be on me hard, but they don’t really show me anymore love though. It’s cool though.” 

Defensive line coach Oscar Giles is a vital reason why Sylvester would consider the Longhorns if he was granted an offer. 

“It’s a good program, the coaches are good with the kids and have relationships,” Sylvester said. “I like Oscar Giles, me and him have a little relationship going. If I can just talk to him more, everything will get better.”

Sylvester realizes there are still some aspects of his game that he still needs to improve on, but after a few bumps in the road he’s satisfied with how his junior campaign concluded and that he is once again a state champion. 

“I just need to get better at using my hands more and pass rushing skills,” Sylvester expressed. “My season went well though. I messed my hamstring up and it forced me to miss the first five games of the season. But I got back and tried to do what I can do and get results like this.”

If Texas began to strengthen their recruiting efforts towards Sylvester and began to show more love to him, he says that he would return the love back. 

At 6’4, 225 pounds, Sylvester is ranked as the nation’s No. 197 prospect, the No. 10 weak-side defensive end in the country, and as the No. 25 player in the state for the 2020 class, per the 247Sports Composite rankings

https://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2019/1/4/18164893/4-star-wde-james-sylvester-interested-texas-longhorns-oscar-giles

10 hours ago, HORNfromETX said:

Herman and Co will get it all worked out. 

There's always some type of attrition (NFL, transfer, medical, etc.) I think the class will be in the low twenties when it is all said and done.

Take it to the bank. We will never take less than 20 ever again. 

33 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Not sure since that number seems to be a moving target. Just know they want to take solid numbers in the trenches with quality of the bodies in-state. 

This.  Deep year in-state the next 2 years for OL/DL.  We need to take 4-5 each side the next 2 years and we have the momentum now to get the best.  We just took 4 LB's I say cherry pick 1-2 this class.

4 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

Of the 2, who would you prefer @Sirhornsalot?  I like Jace....a lot actually

I got to go with Evans. Just look at him. He's such a physical specimen right now. And still growing. Players like him only roll around ever so often. Jace is a fine back in his own right, and I'd love to have him. But Zach's got the edge in my book.

16 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I got to go with Evans. Just look at him. He's such a physical specimen right now. And still growing. Players like him only roll around ever so often. Jace is a fine back in his own right, and I'd love to have him. But Zach's got the edge in my book.

plus jace is an ou commit.....

12 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Texas lean 

I know Herman doesn't really do it, but Texas needs to push some of these guys to go public with a commitment next month or on Jr. Day.  Get the momentum rolling and let other recruits know Texas is the place to go and that aggy is and always will be a middle of the road team no matter what conference they're in.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Ok, see....I was thinking of this.  I was asking myself "where are the Cedric Bensons, Adrian Petersons, Leonard Fournettes in these recruiting classes?  Are you of the opinion that Evans is of that mold?  I know I shouldn't judge a back or any player from one game, but the fact that he was in essence "hemmed up" in the championship game bothers me.  Not that he's not an excellent back; he most definitely is.  But comparing he and Jace, McClellan seem to have more, to phrase TH, "dynamism".  And I know he's a Hoe-U commit but I'm pretty sure J gray is in his ear for the good guys.  Kinda reminds me of Sanders/Cain.  Seem a lot of people wanted Cain, but Sanders, to me at least, was the most exciting of the two.  I feel the same about Jace vs Trey.  They'll both be fun to watch next fall

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

Ok, see....I was thinking of this.  I was asking myself "where are the Cedric Bensons, Adrian Petersons, Leonard Fournettes in these recruiting classes?  Are you of the opinion that Evans is of that mold?  I know I shouldn't judge a back or any player from one game, but the fact that he was in essence "hemmed up" in the championship game bothers me.  Not that he's not an excellent back; he most definitely is.  But comparing he and Jace, McClellan seem to have more, to phrase TH, "dynamism".  And I know he's a Hoe-U commit but I'm pretty sure J gray is in his ear for the good guys.  Kinda reminds me of Sanders/Cain.  Seem a lot of people wanted Cain, but Sanders, to me at least, was the most exciting of the two.  I feel the same about Jace vs Trey.  They'll both be fun to watch next fall

Yes, I would put Evans above Cedric Benson, at this time in their careers. I think Ricky Williams, personally.

Evans was slowed in the state championship game, but still gained 100 yards rushing. If thats bottled up, I'll take a dozen of them. And he was facing a good defense that was keying on him all game.

McClellan has played against weaker competition to build his stats. He's a good back and he'll be a success, but Evans is a notch above IMO. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, I would put Evans above Cedric Benson, at this time in their careers. I think Ricky Williams, personally.

Evans was slowed in the state championship game, but still gained 100 yards rushing. If thats bottled up, I'll take a dozen of them. And he was facing a good defense that was keying on him all game.

McClellan has played against weaker competition to build his stats. He's a good back and he'll be a success, but Evans is a notch above IMO. 

Hold up!  Stop the presses!!!  You sure about this???  Cedric Benson was an absolute STUD coming out of Lee.  

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

Hold up!  Stop the presses!!!  You sure about this???  Cedric Benson was an absolute STUD coming out of Lee.  

The concern with Benson was he was rode hard in HS ball. He was a PRODUCTIVE back but no one was ewing and ahhing over his speed, physical makeup, etc. Benson got the ball about 30 times a game, too, hence the concern.

Turned out to be not a big deal as Benson did have good years at Texas. But again, he's a completely different back.

When looking back on running back legends in HS that translated to the next level, . . I saw Earl Campbell, Billy Simms and David Overstreet in HS. Two of the three had this "it" factor that you seldom see (Campbell, Simms). This kid has that same "it" factor, IMO.