Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Please let this mean that Ransom will switch to UT.

Despite having never been a coordinator before and spending the past seven years in the NFL, he also aced the recruiting trail. Hafley played a large role in landing four-star prospects Clark Phillips, Lathan Ransom, Kourt Williams, Ryan Watts, Lejond Cavazos and Cameron Martinez.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/12/110412/ryan-day-tasked-with-challenge-of-replacing-jeff-hafley-after-he-aced-job-as-defensive-coordinator-in-only-year-at

4 hours ago, Baron said:

You hate to see something like this. Tackling is not being taught like it used to be.

The fear of the targeting or unnecessary roughness call on any hit above the waist has driven coaches to teach tackling low which unfortunately has led to tacklers going for the knees. I have had this discussion for several years with friends that the rule changes will lead to an increase in major knee injuries. While I haven't done the actual research to know if my hypothesis is true, it sure seems like to be the case.

44 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

LB Ja'Qwondis Burns of IMG Academy is headed to Minnesota.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaqwondis-Burns-46078938/

Admittedly, I dont know much about this kid, but I know UT needs Lbs.  Dont know if he wouldve contributed this year, so hopefully there are others out in the transfer market. Horns need players at that position.  I still think Overshown should be moved to OLB.  Has the size, speed and hunger to play there.

42 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Damn. Max Cummings has to medically retire from football. Wish him the best but that is even less depth on the D Line. 

Hadn’t he been moved to TE... or am I thinking of someone else?

52 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Current decommit drops Texas to #10 nationally and #2 in the Big 12. 

You have to recruit at an elite level to have a chance at ever making the playoffs. 

Back to back top 5 classes and a current top 10 class with room to add more sounds pretty elite to me.  As many complaints as I have about how Herman is slow playing the hiring process, recruiting isn't one of them.  

That is unless he's slow playing it so that he can have Carrington and Hand on the road recruiting those they already have built relationships with, I may not have issue with the slow play.  Otherwise it looks like a lot of the offensive plays this year, slow to develop.  

29 minutes ago, BigL said:

Back to back top 5 classes and a current top 10 class with room to add more sounds pretty elite to me.  As many complaints as I have about how Herman is slow playing the hiring process, recruiting isn't one of them.  

That is unless he's slow playing it so that he can have Carrington and Hand on the road recruiting those they already have built relationships with, I may not have issue with the slow play.  Otherwise it looks like a lot of the offensive plays this year, slow to develop.  

I look at Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St’s recruiting. That’s elite. That’s where we’re trying to get too. Ours has been good so far but those teams are elite.......multiple 5 stars every year. I know it can’t happen overnight, but you better be in the top 5 every year to have a chance for the playoffs consistently. We need to figure out how to get by Oklahoma are the playoffs are just a dream anyway. Hell we had a kid commit to Minnesota instead of us. I know PJ Fleck, PJ Fleck...... I don’t care if Bear Bryant is coaching at Minnesota, Texas should never lose a player to Minnesota. I hope we get to elite but IMO we’re not at elite right now. We’re recruiting to a 9-10 win season if we coach them up. If that’s ok then fine but I want to be one of the top 4 teams in the country. 

1 hour ago, BigL said:

It is affecting recruiting. Open your eyes.

4 hours ago, dillohorn said:

It is affecting recruiting. Open your eyes.

You're both right. 

For the shit show we've seen to still be #10 in the nation is pretty remarkable, IMO.

Get the OC on board and hit the recruiting road. There's still recruits out there we're in on. Aggy decommit season hasn't started yet. lol

Should be able to pick up some lost momentum with Alfred Collins, now that we're moving to a 4-man front. Dixon from Carthage is just waiting to see who we hire at OC.

16 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

For the shit show we've seen to still be #10 in the nation is pretty remarkable, IMO.

Get the OC on board and hit the recruiting road. There's still recruits out there we're in on. Aggy decommit season hasn't started yet. lol

Should be able to pick up some lost momentum with Alfred Collins, now that we're moving to a 4-man front. Dixon from Carthage is just waiting to see who we hire at OC.

Agree 100% re: #10 recruiting ranking so far considering last season and no coordinators for 2 weeks… and still missing one. Things could be a helluva lot worse. Tomorrow after early signing day, with Bijan Robinson a Longhorn 🙏 I'll feel better.

Also agree 100%, now that Ash is officially on board, seems like a short trip to see Alfred Collins is top on his list.

I count now we're at 10 commits for the O, 6 for the D. Pick up another WR to replace the de-commit… and let Ash (supposedly ace recruiter) fill in a few more good D recruits. Ringo?

I see the makings for a 10 win season, assuming Ash works out, the new OC builds a reasonable O… and we can get rid on those damn penalties, so at least we don't beat ourselves. I'm a glass half full guy, until proven wrong.