Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Per Brainiacs, OU has taken over the lead for DT Collins from Bastrop. If you ask me, I think UT trails Baylor and OU in that recruitment right now.

Last minute trip to see OU + Texas shitting the bed Saturday probably put the nail in the coffin on this one.  Unbelievable.  I honestly could care less about these last 2 games.  I'll be traveling on the road for the Holidays Saturday so thank goodness for the 2:30 start time so I don't have to see disappointment again.

13 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Last minute trip to see OU + Texas shitting the bed Saturday probably put the nail in the coffin on this one.  Unbelievable.  I honestly could care less about these last 2 games.  I'll be traveling on the road for the Holidays Saturday so thank goodness for the 2:30 start time so I don't have to see disappointment again.

Actually, Collins will be in Waco again this Saturday to see the Horns and Bears tee off.

Then, Collins has an OV left and plans on tripping to Waco for that one. So two visits to games, then an OV. Baylor has a shot to take over this recruitment. For now, OU has moved out front slightly.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:58 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

What I did hear though is that we have at least two who are openly considering the transfer portal. No decisions have been made. One of them is one of our prized recruits from last year and who has had some trouble holding on to the ball.

It's gotta be Jake, then. Incredible. He's seen what LJH and Devin have done in the slot, and now he's the heir apparent. If he's homesick, then ok, fine. But I don't see why on earth he would consider leaving for football reasons. He's in line to be THE guy in 2020 and 2021 (and 2022 if he stays all 4 years). Is he really disliking UT that much that he would sit a year to play elsewhere? If he sticks with UT, he's probably the starting slot in 2020. If he transfers, he's sitting in 2020.

I'm sure there's more going on behind the scenes, but from an outside perspective, it makes no sense. 

11 hours ago, utb040713 said:

It's gotta be Jake, then. Incredible. He's seen what LJH and Devin have done in the slot, and now he's the heir apparent. If he's homesick, then ok, fine. But I don't see why on earth he would consider leaving for football reasons. He's in line to be THE guy in 2020 and 2021 (and 2022 if he stays all 4 years). Is he really disliking UT that much that he would sit a year to play elsewhere? If he sticks with UT, he's probably the starting slot in 2020. If he transfers, he's sitting in 2020.

I'm sure there's more going on behind the scenes, but from an outside perspective, it makes no sense. 

When you invest so much, you expect dividends. UT puts their athletes through a vigorous program almost the whole year, from conditioning to diet. When the dividends don't come, not everyone is patient enough to keep going. Some players have lower plateaus than others.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

When you invest so much, you expect dividends. UT puts their athletes through a vigorous program almost the whole year, from conditioning to diet. When the dividends don't come, not everyone is patient enough to keep going. Some players have lower plateaus than others.

Players are friends and talk with players from other teams.  They hear about how those kids are having a lot of success, but not going through near the grind that Herman puts his kids through and it starts getting to some kids no doubt.  I was extremely excited about hiring Herman after the Strong debacle, but for the first time I'm truly concerned as to whether Herman can get it done.  Culture is great and putting kids through hell to get them ready is likely good as well, but when the kids start questioning why they're going through all of the stuff Herman demands, yet see the coaching issues each Saturday, it truly starts wearing them down.

3 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Per OrangeBloods, DT Octavious Oxendine of Radcliff, KY is looking at making an official visit to UT on December 13th.

He visited Austin back in June and picked up an offer.

https://247sports.com/player/octavious-oxendine-46047737/

Craig Way will have fun with that name. lol

On 11/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Per Brainiacs, OU has taken over the lead for DT Collins from Bastrop. If you ask me, I think UT trails Baylor and OU in that recruitment right now.

They are an ou site so not surprising they would say this... 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:44 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Actually, Collins will be in Waco again this Saturday to see the Horns and Bears tee off.

Then, Collins has an OV left and plans on tripping to Waco for that one. So two visits to games, then an OV. Baylor has a shot to take over this recruitment. For now, OU has moved out front slightly.

IT disagrees....

41 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Hopefully most of the class stays together but either way when Herman is fired the roster should be good for the next coach in 2021/2022

After reading Lamar Littrells post on another site Herman is in deep shit if next year looks like this year.

Herman won't be fired this year.

By no means am I defending Herman, but Brown didn't exactly light the world on fire in his first few years. Remember those middling Holiday Bowls?? We were a bit spoiled by last year and everyone expected us to regress this year and we have done exactly that.

More creativity on offense and some maturity on defense and we should expect a better team next year, but the pressure is on. Can Herman play the big dog role??? So far, it's not looking good, but I'm willing to give the coach a little more time. 

49 minutes ago, LAHORN said:

By no means am I defending Herman, but Brown didn't exactly light the world on fire in his first few years. Remember those middling Holiday Bowls?? We were a bit spoiled by last year and everyone expected us to regress this year and we have done exactly that.

More creativity on offense and some maturity on defense and we should expect a better team next year, but the pressure is on. Can Herman play the big dog role??? So far, it's not looking good, but I'm willing to give the coach a little more time. 

Now, now, I have very fond memories of those holiday bowls. That was a great bowl every single year.

I think we'll see a new play caller/OC next season. I think CDC pulls Herman aside and lets him know what the stakes are.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

Herman won't be fired this year.

Never said he would.  Next year is very possible.  Hence why I said a new coach would have a good roster in 2021/22..  You need to read a little better. Herman's seat is hot for next year.  

6 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Never said he would.  Next year is very possible.  Hence why I said a new coach would have a good roster in 2021/22..  You need to read a little better. Herman's seat is hot for next year.  

Well, excuuuuuuuse me! 

15 hours ago, LAHORN said:

Not everyone expected regression I for one did not.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Not everyone expected regression I for one did not.

In all honesty, I expected more from the offense this year.  I wasnt sure if it would translate into the CFP, but I still expected more.  As far as the defense goes, I did expect a drop off in the front 7 due to youth and inexperience, but I thought the back end would make up for it (before injuries).  So, overall I am disappointed but not surprised when you look at it.  They lost to the current #1 team, the probable B12 champions and 2 road games that are difficult for young players (granted, the loss to TCU is by far the biggest disappointment this year).  Let's see how they do today.

Who expected regression. Hell, we were all expecting to challenge OU for the B12 championship. Two-year starter at QB, All-America WR, our RB added 20 pounds of muscle from last year. 

We need to hire Urban Meyer. If we want to win? Hire him. 3 natties speak for themself. 

1 hour ago, NWAHorn said:

Who expected regression. Hell, we were all expecting to challenge OU for the B12 championship. Two-year starter at QB, All-America WR, our RB added 20 pounds of muscle from last year. 

We need to hire Urban Meyer. If we want to win? Hire him. 3 natties speak for themself. 

I agree with the first statement but NO to the second. Urban Meyer is a man without ethics.