Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Man we need a good, sound win to put this negative momentum behind us. Beat TCU while looking competent defensively. Get out on the road during the bye and sure up all your commits. Beat K-State soundly at home. Then you're 7-2 heading into 3 tough games to wrap up the regular season. At 7-2 we would be looking good and have some momentum back for likely 2 straight games against ranked teams.

I'm okay losing the two that we did. I'm not sold on either of them but I'd still rather them be in our class than not. Need to keep everyone else! Recruiting is fickle so stop the bleeding quick and winning is the best way.

Add Collins, a couple of LBs, an offensive weapon or two, and wrap this up!

Texas is in big trouble

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Yes a loss to TCU isn’t a good look after struggling with Kansas and the Longhorns appear to be playing down to opponents, but recruiting is still going very well and some of the depth issues you see now won’t exist in a few years. Is Tom Herman still the solution? He is, although Texas has been disappointing this year.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Texas lost to TCU this past weekend, needed what some are calling a “friendly clock” to beat Kansas and lost to Oklahoma again to make it a pretty miserable October. It’s not just the losses and close win, either, but how the Longhorns look. The defense is dealing with injuries but is there no legitimate depth? Special teams is a big issue.

Remember, this is a team that beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and had momentum heading into this season, but that has all slipped away. Now Texas has to play Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor in its next three games. The Longhorns are good enough to win all those games, but they’ve shown they’re average enough to lose them all, too. Herman gets paid big bucks to have a national contender and the Longhorns are nowhere near that.

https://n.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-texas-is-in-big-trouble

42 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Texas is in big trouble

Farrell’s take: FICTION. Yes a loss to TCU isn’t a good look after struggling with Kansas and the Longhorns appear to be playing down to opponents, but recruiting is still going very well and some of the depth issues you see now won’t exist in a few years. Is Tom Herman still the solution? He is, although Texas has been disappointing this year.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Texas lost to TCU this past weekend, needed what some are calling a “friendly clock” to beat Kansas and lost to Oklahoma again to make it a pretty miserable October. It’s not just the losses and close win, either, but how the Longhorns look. The defense is dealing with injuries but is there no legitimate depth? Special teams is a big issue.

Remember, this is a team that beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and had momentum heading into this season, but that has all slipped away. Now Texas has to play Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor in its next three games. The Longhorns are good enough to win all those games, but they’ve shown they’re average enough to lose them all, too. Herman gets paid big bucks to have a national contender and the Longhorns are nowhere near that.

https://n.rivals.com/news/fact-or-fiction-texas-is-in-big-trouble

We just plain suck.

Earl Campbell thinks he can fix the Longhorns. Texas' first Heisman Trophy winner told me last week that he loves Sam Ehlinger, but he has a requirement for future Longhorn quarterbacks. "Until the University of Texas realizes you have to have a black quarterback, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback,"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/campbell-thinks-he-can-fix-what-ails-texas-football/ar-AAJyuNL

23 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Earl Campbell thinks he can fix the Longhorns. Texas' first Heisman Trophy winner told me last week that he loves Sam Ehlinger, but he has a requirement for future Longhorn quarterbacks. "Until the University of Texas realizes you have to have a black quarterback, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback,"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/campbell-thinks-he-can-fix-what-ails-texas-football/ar-AAJyuNL

Love Earl, but Clemson seems to be doing fine.

2 hours ago, primal defense said:

Imagine if a white guy said that racist comment about needing a white QB? Sorry Earl, but's that's a pretty racist statement there

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Imagine if a white guy said that racist comment about needing a white QB? Sorry Earl, but's that's a pretty racist statement there

Not a good comment by Earl. But it's probably best not to make it what if thing... because you know white GM's and head coaches have been saying what you are saying for sometime now in the NFL. They just use coded language, they weren't as blunt as Earl.

19 minutes ago, hornsups said:

Not a good comment by Earl. But it's probably best not to make it what if thing... because you know white GM's and head coaches have been saying what you are saying for sometime now in the NFL. They just use coded language, they weren't as blunt as Earl.

I'm hoping one day we get over skin color. Seriously. 

We have looked back and what we see is that there have been some good black and white QBs – and there have been some bad black and white QBs.

There have been good and bad Polynesian QBs, with strong Polynesian ties.

Scattershooting while wondering what ever happened to Sonny Sixkiller, a Cherokee.

I walked into a grill/bar in Tyler in the late 1980s. I believe the place was called Charlie-O's. Once in, my eyes were drawn to the largest thing in the room – Earl Campbell. He and brother Tim were having a beer.

I walked by and asked if I could buy them both a beer. They accepted and asked me to sit down. We had a great talk. I was living about three houses down from his mother at the time so we talked about the neighborhood a bit. 

My thoughts . . . what a great guy to allow a total stranger to sit and have a beer with him. I'm sure he could see that I had star-struck eyes, couldn't believe this was happening. His thighs were as wide around as my chest. He was just a very large man. I asked him what it was like to play in the NFL. He said something to the effect that it was just like high school except you don't go both ways, the players are bigger and faster.

I saw Earl play in the high school playoffs when he was at John Tyler. It was like watching an NFL player playing with high schoolers. He made most of the tackles, scored most of the TDs. I don't think I saw him come off the field.

"When Earl ran, snot flew" – DKR