Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Lone Star State prospects predict Red River Showdown

utx5dyquknhjbxighclu

Sam Spiegelman • Rivals.com

The next biggest game of the college football season takes place this Saturday when rivals Texas and Oklahoma collide. The Longhorns and Sooners go head-to-head on a good chunk of the Lone Star State’s top prospects and of course, this annual conference tilt always comes with bragging rights among the recruits.

Rivals.com reached out to some of the best prospects in Texas to get their predictions on one of college football’s biggest rivalries.

: “I don’t want to say too much, but we’re (Texas) gonna find a way to win.”

: “I have Texas winning by three points.”

: “42-38, Texas.”

: “It’s gonna be a high-scoring game and it’ll come down to one of the defenses causing more turnovers than the other. I’m quite biased, but I have Texas, 41-38.”

: “My prediction is that it’ll be 42-21, Oklahoma.”

: “It's gonna be a crazy game.”

: “I’m not sure on the score, but I think Texas has got them.”

: “Oklahoma is blowing them out. We know this … Texas ain’t back!”

: “I got Oklahoma, 52-31.”

: “We (Oklahoma) are not worried about this game. It should be another W in the column. We’re just preparing ourselves for real competition and that’s in the playoffs.”

: “I think it’s going to be a high-scoring game, so 45-52, Texas wins it.”

: “48-45, Texas.”

: “I feel like Oklahoma is going to win big, so 42-21 the final score. I feel like we have something to prove.”

: “So excited for this game! After watching Oklahoma play this season so far, I have no doubt they are ready for anything coming their way. They seem to click very well this year and they are about to go and kill it.”

: "Oklahoma 50-plus, Texas 35.”

: “40-28, Oklahoma. I’m forever rooting for   and  .”

: “Texas is gonna win fa sho!”

: “It’s gonna be a great game. Both offenses are elite this year, so it’s gonna be whoever’s defense that steps up and stops the offenses first. Final score: 42-38, Texas.”

: “We are going to be at the game and we’re looking forward to it. I’ve got Texas, 48-45, in a nailbiter. Both teams are extremely good with lots of talent.”

: “I got Texas. They're the overall better team coming in. I got Texas winning by at least two scores.”

: “I’ve got Oklahoma.”

: “It will be a great game. Both teams are thriving and are very well-coached, so it will be a fun game to watch.”

: “Just ready to watch Oklahoma do what they do. Oklahoma, 42-35.”

: “Personally, I think Oklahoma is going to dominate up front, but Texas has confidence. It’s a game that can possibly go into overtime.”

: “My thoughts are Oklahoma’s improvements defensively coupled with their electric offense gives them the edge over Texas this upcoming weekend: 45-28, Oklahoma.”

: “I’ll be at the game as well. I think the score will be 41-31, Texas.”

: “I feel like it will be a really good game as always and I, honestly, really don’t have a prediction. I feel like the game could go either way.”

: “It’s gonna be a great, hard-fought game that could easily go either way. If I wasn’t on crutches I’d be there! I can’t wait to watch this exciting game on TV next weekend. In my opinion, it’ll be the best game all year so far.”

: “I think that it will be a high-scoring shootout. I think that (Jalen) Hurts will play out of his mind and Oklahoma will come out with a win. I’d say it’s gonna be 49-42 or something like that.”

: “Oklahoma 49, Texas, 38.”

: “I got Oklahoma winning, 42-26.”

: “I’m extremely excited to go to my first Red River Rivalry this weekend and experience an amazing atmosphere. It will, of course be a close game but Texas will come out on top and prove that they are back and ready to take the next step toward the College Football Playoff.”

: “38-49, someone wins!”

: “I think Oklahoma is gonna come out with the win, but it’s gonna be a tough game.”

: “That’s gonna be a good game. I personally feel like if Jalen (Hurts) gets off to a good start, Oklahoma will pull it off. But if Texas’ defense gets going early, Sam (Ehlinger) is gonna put it away. And Oklahoma’s defense has to shut down Texas early or Sam is gonna have a field day.”

: “It’s going to be a tough battle for the Texas secondary, but I think after last week’s game, they’re going to have a bunch of momentum coming from that game. Texas wins in a close game.”

: “I’ve got Texas, 35-30.”

: “Texas, their defense is superb. I don't think their wide receivers are ready for DBU; also the defensive line is going to be on fire.   is going to get three or more sacks and the offense will move the ball with Sam (Ehlinger) at quarterback. I feel it’s going to be 42-25. I’m not going to lie, that big quarterback will throw the ball as well.”

: “I’m going with Texas, 39-32. Texas has been playing at a very high level lately after the loss to LSU. Their offense is rolling and I’m looking forward to watching.”

: “Can’t call the score, but it should definitely be a great game. They are always good games and actually, I don’t see this one being any different.”

: “I think Texas will win this round, 42-35.”

: “I know it’s gonna be a close one.”

: “Don't really know who will win. Two great teams playing at a high level right now. I really like Texas, but Oklahoma is growing on me tough. It’ll be a shootout for sure and a high-scoring game.”

: "I think it’s going to be a tight one, though I don’t think any team will really break away. I feel like it’s going to come down to the last couple of possessions."

https://n.rivals.com/news/lone-star-state-prospects-predict-red-river-showdown

I went to the Salpointe game on Friday and it was a real treat to watch Bijan up close. Here are some of my thoughts on the game and Bijan. It was 51-7 at half time, so I and practically everyone there left at the half. I was able to sit on the 50 yard line with some Salponte fans. One of them ask me if I was a scout since I was wearing my longhorn shirt. I laughed and said no just a longhorn fan. 

I was also fortunate that a number of Bijan plays in the second quarter was on my side of the field and right in front of me. The best way I can describe Bijan is that he has the same style of running as Reggie Bush. Bijan has said Reggie is his idol, so either he copied Reggie or his talents matched. He's an inch or two taller than Reggie and right now they weight the same. I would think that Bijan will add at least ten to  to fifteen pounds since that seems to be what most running backs gain in the UT weight program.  He has great vision to find the hole and the quickness to hit the opening and once he gets pass the line of scrimmage then he's a threat to take it all the way.  I would think that since Bijan will weight more than Reggie did that if the longhorns ever play for the NC and it's 4th and one to win the game then I doubt Bijan will be standing on the sidelines like Reggie did.

Bijan's high school coach has said that's he one of the top running backs in the country as far as catching the football. One play he lined up all the way to the sideline took a step back and took a pass and ran for 26 yards. The other was a 42 yard hail mary pass that Bijan caught at the goal line for a TD with 1.4 seconds left in the half. My expectations is that Bijan will leave the forty acres as the top  running back in receptions and receiving yardage. 

One of the reasons Bush won the Heisman over Vince was not only did he have good rushing yards (1740 yards) but he also had receiving yards (478 yards) KO returns (493 yards) and punt returns (179 yards). If the coaches decide they want to use Bijan, and ignore the injury risk, on KO returns and punt returns then he will be devastating on the return teams. He returned a punt on Friday and he looked like Rick Grimes running through a crowd of zombies from Walking Dead. He has the ability to make cuts on a dime. One of the Salpointe fans was amazed on what he just saw and he has seen Bijan for the last four years. 

Bijan had  a 45 yard run in the first quarter that the crowd reaction was something that I have never heard. It was a combination of a shriek and gasp that your seeing something that you don't ordinary see on a football field. Every time he touches the ball is a potential high light reel which will give the program more national interest besides winning.

One of the Salpointe fans told me that  El Paso Valle Verde  cancelled the Salpointe game not because they had a scheduling conflict, but they didn't want to lose to Salpointe again. He said they chickened out. LOL.

My expectations is that Bijan has as much talent as any running back that's ever been at UT including Earl and Ricky. Bijan won't have the power that Earl and Ricky had, but he has great vision to find the hole and the quickness to go through it and take it all the way, plus he can catch, return punts and kickoffs and he has said himself the importance of blocking.  I have a lot of respect for the running backs we do have now when they are healthy, however I expect Bijan will be the most talented running back when he comes on campus and it will be only a matter of time before he's the best running back on the team.

I had read an article in which Bijan said that Herman started to cry when he committed to UT which I wasn't use to hearing, however after seeing Bijan up close I can understand. He's a special player. 

2 hours ago, primal defense said:
I went to the Salpointe game on Friday and it was a real treat to watch Bijan up close. Here are some of my thoughts on the game and Bijan. It was 51-7 at half time, so I and practically everyone there left at the half. I was able to sit on the 50 yard line with some Salponte fans. One of them ask me if I was a scout since I was wearing my longhorn shirt. I laughed and said no just a longhorn fan. 

I was also fortunate that a number of Bijan plays in the second quarter was on my side of the field and right in front of me. The best way I can describe Bijan is that he has the same style of running as Reggie Bush. Bijan has said Reggie is his idol, so either he copied Reggie or his talents matched. He's an inch or two taller than Reggie and right now they weight the same. I would think that Bijan will add at least ten to  to fifteen pounds since that seems to be what most running backs gain in the UT weight program.  He has great vision to find the hole and the quickness to hit the opening and once he gets pass the line of scrimmage then he's a threat to take it all the way.  I would think that since Bijan will weight more than Reggie did that if the longhorns ever play for the NC and it's 4th and one to win the game then I doubt Bijan will be standing on the sidelines like Reggie did.

Bijan's high school coach has said that's he one of the top running backs in the country as far as catching the football. One play he lined up all the way to the sideline took a step back and took a pass and ran for 26 yards. The other was a 42 yard hail mary pass that Bijan caught at the goal line for a TD with 1.4 seconds left in the half. My expectations is that Bijan will leave the forty acres as the top  running back in receptions and receiving yardage. 

One of the reasons Bush won the Heisman over Vince was not only did he have good rushing yards (1740 yards) but he also had receiving yards (478 yards) KO returns (493 yards) and punt returns (179 yards). If the coaches decide they want to use Bijan, and ignore the injury risk, on KO returns and punt returns then he will be devastating on the return teams. He returned a punt on Friday and he looked like Rick Grimes running through a crowd of zombies from Walking Dead. He has the ability to make cuts on a dime. One of the Salpointe fans was amazed on what he just saw and he has seen Bijan for the last four years. 

Bijan had  a 45 yard run in the first quarter that the crowd reaction was something that I have never heard. It was a combination of a shriek and gasp that your seeing something that you don't ordinary see on a football field. Every time he touches the ball is a potential high light reel which will give the program more national interest besides winning.

One of the Salpointe fans told me that  El Paso Valle Verde  cancelled the Salpointe game not because they had a scheduling conflict, but they didn't want to lose to Salpointe again. He said they chickened out. LOL.

My expectations is that Bijan has as much talent as any running back that's ever been at UT including Earl and Ricky. Bijan won't have the power that Earl and Ricky had, but he has great vision to find the hole and the quickness to go through it and take it all the way, plus he can catch, return punts and kickoffs and he has said himself the importance of blocking.  I have a lot of respect for the running backs we do have now when they are healthy, however I expect Bijan will be the most talented running back when he comes on campus and it will be only a matter of time before he's the best running back on the team.

I had read an article in which Bijan said that Herman started to cry when he committed to UT which I wasn't use to hearing, however after seeing Bijan up close I can understand. He's a special player. 

What did you think of Jonah Miller, 21' OL recruit?  Supposedly the staff is real high on him.

3 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Per Inside Texas, WR Dajon Harrison of Hutto will be at the Cotton Bowl this weekend.

He took an unofficial to UT recently.

https://247sports.com/Player/Dajon-Harrison-46051172/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8403013/Dajon-Harrison

I watched him last weekend. On one of his several touchdowns he was in full stride, stopped, made a cut and began running again without losing a step. The whole stadium erupted. He is a gifted athlete.

2 minutes ago, 63_Texas_1 said:

I watched him last weekend. On one of his several touchdowns he was in full stride, stopped, made a cut and began running again without losing a step. The whole stadium erupted. He is a gifted athlete.

From what I can tell, the staff is keeping a close eye on him.

No doubt he's talented, and he was an early evaluation by TCU which is usually a good sign.

Maybe he can slip in the class at WR somehow based on how things unfold with LV Bunkley-Shelton, Kelvontay Dixon, etc.

20 hours ago, Slimer said:

What did you think of Jonah Miller, 21' OL recruit?  Supposedly the staff is real high on him.

I did not know about him. Although my eyes are on Bijan every time he's on the field.

Lathan Ransom is very impressive. He placed a hit on a running back that everyone in the stands could hear. A perfect hit. Hopefully, he will follow Bijan and switch.

Rivals Roundtable: Which QB has impressed the most?

SAM SPIEGELMAN, Texas and Louisiana analyst

bckkzjtol74yxaajslar

is the clear-cut QB1 in Texas. At the beginning of the cycle, I felt Card was a Rivals100 prospect. His film was incredible and you saw glimpses of what makes the future Longhorn so special. He has a strong arm, but what is more impressive is how accurate he is throwing all over the yard. In-person, Card showed off how mobile he is against Mansfield Timberview as he sliced up a very talented defense with his arms and legs. The future of Texas football is very bright with Card on the way. As it stands now, Card should leap   -- who drew a lot of buzz in the offseason -- as the top signal-caller in Texas.

https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-roundtable-which-qb-has-impressed-the-most-

Three-Point Stance: Coaches that won't work out, recruiting

... Texas has a very good chance of beating Oklahoma this weekend because of 

who is the kind of guy who can just will his team to a win. I expect a close, high scoring game, but I still pick the Sooners.

... You’ll notice most of the top-ranked running backs from the 2019 class haven’t made much of an impact on college football yet, starting with the injury to 

at Alabama and average starts by guys like 

and 

. That will not happen next year as guys like 

(Notre Dame), 

(Texas), 

(Auburn) and 

(South Carolina) will hit the ground running and make a huge impact.

https://n.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-coaches-that-won-t-work-out-recruiting

TFB is reporting that the staff is bringing in 2020 RB Kevontre Bradford for the OU game. Any thoughts on what that's about? We already have 2 committed RBs and a pretty full class. Is the staff looking to bring in a 3rd RB this year?

9 minutes ago, utb040713 said:

TFB is reporting that the staff is bringing in 2020 RB Kevontre Bradford for the OU game. Any thoughts on what that's about? We already have 2 committed RBs and a pretty full class. Is the staff looking to bring in a 3rd RB this year?

Attrition?

54 minutes ago, utb040713 said:

Perhaps they're thinking of Ty Jordan as more of a multi-use kind of guy?

4 hours ago, utb040713 said:

My initial reaction is that the staff must be snakebit by the lack of depth they currently have in the RB department. There may also be some insight into the possible return, or not, of Brown. And also you consider that Ingram might be an early departure for the NFL. They may also view Ty Jordan as someone who can do multiple things – PR, KR, slot, etc., 

So the lack of depth has the potential to continue to be a thorn in their side.

Throw in that they're probably very intrigued with Bradford because he's a back with unique skills, I can see it.

Sometimes you see something and you just go with it. Maybe thats what is happening here.

41 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

My initial reaction is that the staff must be snakebit by the lack of depth they currently have in the RB department. There may also be some insight into the possible return, or not, of Brown. And also you consider that Ingram might be an early departure for the NFL. They may also view Ty Jordan as someone who can do multiple things – PR, KR, slot, etc., 

So the lack of depth has the potential to continue to be a thorn in their side.

Throw in that they're probably very intrigued with Bradford because he's a back with unique skills, I can see it.

Sometimes you see something and you just go with it. Maybe thats what is happening here.

I'll add that this is also likely a case of keeping a few guys warm in case they want to pursue harder in the near future.

Bradford, Dixon and Harrison are all versatile guys and aren't pigeon-holed to one position.

I'm also guessing that RB and DB injuries have them considering re-arranging some numbers, plus the status of Josh Moore's return is very much up in the air.

The coaches know who might be leaving or who might be unable to play.

Six RBS  is about right for depth. However one might be unable to play again and one might go back to WR. If so another RB would be needed.

If more players are commited I hope for a couple of LBS IMO the weakest position on the team for depth.