Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

13 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I'm a Hager fan just because he gave his all for the university and played hurt while doing it. Most of the time he was overmatched but he never backed down. Can't stand it when people run him down. 

That being said, we will be improved at that position. No question about it. 

I don’t think anybody is running him down, just saying he wasn’t a great talent and that is the truth.  Rudy gave everything he had to Notre Dame

22 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I'm a Hager fan just because he gave his all for the university and played hurt while doing it. Most of the time he was overmatched but he never backed down. Can't stand it when people run him down. 

That being said, we will be improved at that position. No question about it. 

Good kid, but Hager was a liability against the run. I expect Graham to be a significant upgrade as starting DE.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:09 PM, Drb522 said:

Wheeler was solid his senior season, but was slooow.  He was good against the run, but struggled in pass D.  I think we get a slight bump in talent and production here

Yep

Slow to read, slow to move, and terrible in pass coverage. More addition by subtraction.

8 hours ago, Drb522 said:

I don’t think anybody is running him down, just saying he wasn’t a great talent and that is the truth.  Rudy gave everything he had to Notre Dame

What’s your definition of great talent?  

He started 2 1/2 years at a D1 school.  I get the hyperbole, but the Rudy comparison is nuts.  

14 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Yep

Slow to read, slow to move, and terrible in pass coverage. More addition by subtraction.

It’s addition by subtraction if a better player replaces him.   We shall see.... Wasn’t Wheeler the Mac?  Who is the addition in this equation that is replacing Wheeler (2 year starter, wasn’t he?)

18 hours ago, DMAC said:

My pick for a breakout a season is J. Ossai.  Young man is a beast

Give me Angilau.  An ACC all conference guard is having a heck of a time beating him out.  Angilau is listed as the starter but they will rotate game 1.  

23 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

What’s your definition of great talent?  

He started 2 1/2 years at a D1 school.  I get the hyperbole, but the Rudy comparison is nuts.  

You loved him because he gave all he had.  Thus the Rudy comment.  

Hager should’ve played at North Texas, Smu or somewhere similar.  He was offered strictly on Name alone imo.  He played due to lack of options.  Proud of the guy and his rah rah but he wasn’t Texas good.  

9 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

You loved him because he gave all he had.  Thus the Rudy comment.  

Hager should’ve played at North Texas, Smu or somewhere similar.  He was offered strictly on Name alone imo.  He played due to lack of options.  Proud of the guy and his rah rah but he wasn’t Texas good.  

We disagree.   UNT?  Again, he started 2 1/2 years at Texas.... people who came in with him never saw the field and / or saw it much less.  

Again, I don’t get the reaction to him when there are so many others who gave less effort and / or contributed less.  It’s odd.  

Perhaps we are putting too much stock in highly rated recruits who have never seen the field when we assume they will step right in and immediately outshine Hager and Wheeler who combined for about 5 years starting between them.  

But I hope you are right.  

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

We disagree.   UNT?  Again, he started 2 1/2 years at Texas.... people who came in with him never saw the field and / or saw it much less.  

Again, I don’t get the reaction to him when there are so many others who gave less effort and / or contributed less.  It’s odd.  

Perhaps we are putting too much stock in highly rated recruits who have never seen the field when we assume they will step right in and immediately outshine Hager and Wheeler who combined for about 5 years starting between them.  

But I hope you are right.  

He started but his lack of production against the run was why he was relegated to obvious passing situations late season.  That and Roach was getting healthy.  

we’ll agree to disagree

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

It’s addition by subtraction if a better player replaces him.   We shall see.... Wasn’t Wheeler the Mac?  Who is the addition in this equation that is replacing Wheeler (2 year starter, wasn’t he?)

Ayodele Adeoye or Juwan Mitchell 

No photo description available.