Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Texas is overrated and one writer has OU winning the NC. They may be right, however UT should close the gap on OU on offensive production this year and the UT defense has the most talent in the Big 12 and should have better defense than OU

Also, I believe UT has the better QB.

2019 College Football Playoff predictions, expert picks, most overrated and underrated teams

Most overrated team

.Texas: I'll maintain that Texas should be good in 2019. A healthy Sam Ehlinger gives the Longhorns a chance to win every game. I just don't know if they'll be as good as others believe. For one: Can Ehlinger stay upright all the time? Also, Texas is replacing a lot of key starters on both sides of the ball, and while the depth is finally where coach Tom Herman wants, there are big holes to fill along the offensive line and on the back end of the defense. Of the two areas, I'm more concerned about the O-line, since defensive backs Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster could be major playmakers. The early-season game against LSU should be a great litmus test and the line has now moved to make Texas a slight favorite. Texas will win games, but anything less than another Big 12 title game appearance, and perhaps a win, will be a disappointment. That's a thin margin, but it's where Texas wants to be again. -- Ben Kercheval

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2019-college-football-playoff-predictions-expert-picks-most-overrated-and-underrated-teams/

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Texas is overrated and one writer has OU winning the NC. They may be right, however UT should close the gap on OU on offensive production this year and the UT defense has the most talent in the Big 12 and should have better defense than OU

Also, I believe UT has the better QB.

2019 College Football Playoff predictions, expert picks, most overrated and underrated teams

Most overrated team

.Texas: I'll maintain that Texas should be good in 2019. A healthy Sam Ehlinger gives the Longhorns a chance to win every game. I just don't know if they'll be as good as others believe. For one: Can Ehlinger stay upright all the time? Also, Texas is replacing a lot of key starters on both sides of the ball, and while the depth is finally where coach Tom Herman wants, there are big holes to fill along the offensive line and on the back end of the defense. Of the two areas, I'm more concerned about the O-line, since defensive backs Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster could be major playmakers. The early-season game against LSU should be a great litmus test and the line has now moved to make Texas a slight favorite. Texas will win games, but anything less than another Big 12 title game appearance, and perhaps a win, will be a disappointment. That's a thin margin, but it's where Texas wants to be again. -- Ben Kercheval

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2019-college-football-playoff-predictions-expert-picks-most-overrated-and-underrated-teams/

Pre-season rankings don't mean much.  Teams have holes to fill on both sides of the ball.  The prognosticators have a deadline to meet so that have to write about something.

Replacing 8 starters on defense.  That's quite a task.  We'll know more about this team in game 2.  Then we'll see if UT is "overrated" or not.

10 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

Pre-season rankings don't mean much.  Teams have holes to fill on both sides of the ball.  The prognosticators have a deadline to meet so that have to write about something.

Replacing 8 starters on defense.  That's quite a task.  We'll know more about this team in game 2.  Then we'll see if UT is "overrated" or not.

These guys (analyst) are riding with the notion of new blood being an issue.  There are 10 underclassmen starting with 3 on offense and 7 on defense.  Every backup player is an underclassmen except for 1 on offense and 3 on defense.  There is a ton of unknown and some serious issues with depth at a couple key positions.   

My honest opinion, Herman was still trying to keep the locker room happy last year and was able to win 10 games doing so.  They've moved on to a team that has bought in or they're Herman players and he is playing the best players.

If they try to control games like they did last year, it may come back to bite this season.  They've got to step on teams throats when they have them down...

The number of players lost on defense is inflated. 

Gary Johnson, Davante Davis, and Kris Boyd are the three that might present a challenge because they were talented. I don’t see any other “starters” being an issue, we probably have better players ready to step in and take over. 

If there is one position group we are best suited with replacements it’s at DB. We lost two talented CB’s but we have talented CB’s waiting. 

29 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

The number of players lost on defense is inflated. 

Gary Johnson, Davante Davis, and Kris Boyd are the three that might present a challenge because they were talented. I don’t see any other “starters” being an issue, we probably have better players ready to step in and take over. 

If there is one position group we are best suited with replacements it’s at DB. We lost two talented CB’s but we have talented CB’s waiting. 

You're forgetting Charles O. He was pretty dang good. 

11 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

We may have to replace 8 starters, however the players that will be starting for the first time does have experience and should be better players. Herman has said that this is the fastest defense that he has had at UT.

LONGHORNS ON AN IMPRESSIVE RECRUITING RUN

Nk2lzyrxrhzwatqfbuo2

Joshua Eaton (Nick Lucero/Rivals.com)

How impressive have Tom Herman and the Texas Longhorns been this summer? More impressive than Mack Brown ever was. 

Huh? That’s certainly saying something when you consider Brown won a national title, went to another title game and consistently finished in the national top-10 in recruiting every year. However, Herman is doing it in a different way. Brown, who is a great recruiter and is showing that at North Carolina, held early junior days and was able to pick and choose from the top kids in the state, finishing the majority of his classes by June. Herman, meanwhile, is picking up big, meaningful commitments during the summer.

The summer is a very underrated time when it comes to competitive recruiting battles thanks in part to official visits being allowed earlier. More and more kids in Texas have a chance to see other programs before the season starts now, and with Lincoln Riley recruiting so well at Oklahoma and Jimbo Fisherand his recruiting prowess at Texas A&M, things are ultra competitive in the Lone Star State. Throw in Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and others that have come into the state and you have a very popular region for big-time recruiting.

Herman has landed in-state prospects 

,  ,  ,   and   all since July 4. But what’s even more impressive is Texas reeling in prospects from Florida, Arizona and Utah during this span, led by five star running back  . Texas is ranked No. 6 in the nation now with a gaudy average star ranking and if the Longhorns continue to recruit at this clip, then Big 12 titles and possibly a national title could be in the cards.

https://n.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-sleepers-texas-big-run-five-stars-on-the-bubble

1 hour ago, wadster said:

Hager, Nelson, Wheeler.  These are guys that put in significant time.  Yes, the backups got playing time.  The question is, will the new starters who have experienced quality playing time step up and nothing loss on defense.  Time will tell.  See game 2.

My biggest disappointment in player progression in quite some time was Hager. I always expected that he would up and turn into a huge force for the defense, but I couldnt tell year to year that he ever improved. I expect his replacement this year to greatly upgrade that position.

I loved Hager's enthusiasm and effort, I just was not so crazy about his game impact.

38 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

My biggest disappointment in player progression in quite some time was Hager. I always expected that he would up and turn into a huge force for the defense, but I couldnt tell year to year that he ever improved. I expect his replacement this year to greatly upgrade that position.

I loved Hager's enthusiasm and effort, I just was not so crazy about his game impact.

Hager was a 2* recruit with limited ceiling. We should have never been in the position of starting him in the first place. What you need there is a Kindle, Orakopo, etc... Someone who can really get to the passer. Hagar didn't have that burst. 

2 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

Hager, Nelson, Wheeler.  These are guys that put in significant time.  Yes, the backups got playing time.  The question is, will the new starters who have experienced quality playing time step up and nothing loss on defense.  Time will tell.  See game 2.

Anybody will be better than Hager.  He was the weakest link on the D.  Texas gets a good bump in talent in productivity here.

nelson was solid, not great.  He was good enough to do the job, but not near the talent that Coburn.  If Coburn can stay on the field for most of the snaps we see a good bump in production.  

Wheeler was solid his senior season, but was slooow.  He was good against the run, but struggled in pass D.  I think we get a slight bump in talent and production here

28 minutes ago, Drb522 said:

Anybody will be better than Hager.  He was the weakest link on the D.  Texas gets a good bump in talent in productivity here.

nelson was solid, not great.  He was good enough to do the job, but not near the talent that Coburn.  If Coburn can stay on the field for most of the snaps we see a good bump in production.  

Wheeler was solid his senior season, but was slooow.  He was good against the run, but struggled in pass D.  I think we get a slight bump in talent and production here

Agreed on all points.

1 hour ago, Drb522 said:

I'll agree on Hager and possibly Wheeler.

Coburn though may become a much better player than Nelson, but not this year. Physically an 18 year old versus a 22 year old, there isn't a comparison. A good, experienced lineman should be able to handle a green freshman no matter how talented. Give Coburn a couple of years in the weight room and some experience and he could be dominant. I just don't think it's going to be this year against the better teams.

5 hours ago, wadster said:

I agree he was good but I really believe Graham might be a stud. He’s strength and quickness is elite. If his motor matches his ability he will be a terror. Charles O really didn’t pull it together until his JR year. 

4 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

Hager, to me, is addition by subtraction. The only thing he gave us last year was a variety of hair fashion don’ts, media sound bites, and stupid penalties. He had a bad case of Senioritis. 

Nelso played well but Coburn is a Malcolm Brown. 

We will miss Wheeler’s experience from the standpoint of not making a lot of mistakes but he was underwhelming at times considering his potential coming in. 

Hager played hard every down.  I’m a bit miffed at the venom aimed at him.  There were games, in the past four years, where it appeared he was one of the few players who cared.  He’s a DE in a linebacker body.... not made for DL in a 3 man front.  

The Herman recruits certainly fit his system better.  

7 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Hager played hard every down.  I’m a bit miffed at the venom aimed at him.  There were games, in the past four years, where it appeared he was one of the few players who cared.  He’s a DE in a linebacker body.... not made for DL in a 3 man front.  

The Herman recruits certainly fit his system better.  

I'm not a Hagar fan. I think his first few years were his best. In the end, the size of most OL was just too much to overcome for him. Agree, he was a LB in a DL situation.

I think we'll have a higher standard of play at that position this year.

The front seven may end up being the strength of the defense. I hear Ossai is focused like a laser and is tough to contain.

I think though one key will be how many plays will Coburn be able to give us each game?

I'm a Hager fan just because he gave his all for the university and played hurt while doing it. Most of the time he was overmatched but he never backed down. Can't stand it when people run him down. 

That being said, we will be improved at that position. No question about it. 

5 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

I agree he was good but I really believe Graham might be a stud. He’s strength and quickness is elite. If his motor matches his ability he will be a terror. Charles O really didn’t pull it together until his JR year. 

Isn’t Graham a junior?  If he can show out like Charles O as a junior, or even better, I’m on board.

5 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Hager, to me, is addition by subtraction. The only thing he gave us last year was a variety of hair fashion don’ts, media sound bites, and stupid penalties. He had a bad case of Senioritis. 

Nelso played well but Coburn is a Malcolm Brown. 

We will miss Wheeler’s experience from the standpoint of not making a lot of mistakes but he was underwhelming at times considering his potential coming in. 

Well, I did enjoy his Willie Nelson look that one game last season.  He did seem to grab the timely fumble recovery, and nobody can say he didn’t play hard.