Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, shotime73 said:

I remember when GJ Kinne moved from Canton to Gilmer. I believe it had something to do with family reasons. But I do know that UIL was swarming all over that situation like glue. 

His dad was a coach, did he transfer with him?  I remember his dad was shot in the chest by a former player I believe, but I don’t remember if that was at that time or after GJ was done playing HS ball?

8 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

I’m not sure. I’m with you on Eaton though. He’s all projection right now and needs a lot of time in the incubator. 

Is Eaton or Caldwell from last year’s class the better prospect?

1 hour ago, MikeV73 said:

His dad was a coach, did he transfer with him?  I remember his dad was shot in the chest by a former player I believe, but I don’t remember if that was at that time or after GJ was done playing HS ball?

Another kids dad shot Coach Kinne (GJs dad) over his son not playing enough. GJ still played at Gilmer His senior year. His mother had lived there already so that’s how he got his waiver. 

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

Eaton has all the physical tool. However he is very raw. He does not like contact. And does not play very physical. His high school coaches are hoping the light comes on this season.. 

2 hours ago, TB14 said:

Another kids dad shot Coach Kinne (GJs dad) over his son not playing enough. GJ still played at Gilmer His senior year. His mother had lived there already so that’s how he got his waiver. 

I played with GJ at Canton before he transferred to Gilmer. Our coach (his dad) was shot before our junior year, but he came back to coach us junior year. After that season, GJ transferred to Gilmer and his dad got a job at Baylor if I remember right. A receiver from Canton tried to transfer to Gilmer with him and got denied by the UIL. He played at a private school senior year and ended up winning a TAPPS state championship in 2006.

So, with the Demas situation, if he ends up going to a TAPPS school, he can still play even after losing UIL eligibility.

Kids get denied eligibility all the time. We get at least one denied every year, and you almost never hear about it. The only reason Demas is a big deal is because he's a high profile recruit. If the behind the scenes details were made public you'd understand why it's a 6-0 vote in favor of him not playing. If the UIL becomes lax in this area the integrity and popularity of public school athletics will in the state of Texas will collapse and it'll become a Florida/Cali/Louisiana type where private schools and pay to play dominate the high school athletic landscape.  Also worth nothing about 90% of transfers are granted eligibility to play for the new teams and this is nothing new. It's been going on for years. 

4 hours ago, TB14 said:

Caldwell is a kid TCU usually lands and turns into a stud!  I like the kid.  Eaton has the offer list and they're similar in size.  But, I'd give the nod to Caldwell.

4 hours ago, TB14 said:

That’s a really good question. I wasn’t a big fan of taking Caldwell last year either. Imo, in 2-3 years in the system both could play (especially as depth) vs KSt, Iowa St, Baylor, etc but I’m looking at playoffs and vs Bama, Clemson,Ou etc. if we lose a CB (to targeting or injury) I don’t think either are good enough. Especially to take them in back to back classes and to take one this early in a small class doesn’t make sense to me. I hope I’m wrong, it’s happened before :lol:

3 hours ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Kids get denied eligibility all the time. We get at least one denied every year, and you almost never hear about it. The only reason Demas is a big deal is because he's a high profile recruit. If the behind the scenes details were made public you'd understand why it's a 6-0 vote in favor of him not playing. If the UIL becomes lax in this area the integrity and popularity of public school athletics will in the state of Texas will collapse and it'll become a Florida/Cali/Louisiana type where private schools and pay to play dominate the high school athletic landscape.  Also worth nothing about 90% of transfers are granted eligibility to play for the new teams and this is nothing new. It's been going on for years. 

Thank me for this post. Enlightened me about the UIL. I also just read some of the reason it was a 6-0 vote and if half of them are true then I am see why the kid isn’t eligible to play. Sounds like it was about bettering his academics. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Eaton has all the physical tool. However he is very raw. He does not like contact. And does not play very physical. His high school coaches are hoping the light comes on this season.. 

You just described Michael Huff's HS profile.

3 hours ago, TheContractor said:

That’s a really good question. I wasn’t a big fan of taking Caldwell last year either. Imo, in 2-3 years in the system both could play (especially as depth) vs KSt, Iowa St, Baylor, etc but I’m looking at playoffs and vs Bama, Clemson,Ou etc. if we lose a CB (to targeting or injury) I don’t think either are good enough. Especially to take them in back to back classes and to take one this early in a small class doesn’t make sense to me. I hope I’m wrong, it’s happened before :lol:

I actually heard Caldwell's name a couple of times over the past two weeks (when I ask who stands out).

4 hours ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Good enough for me.

13 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

If I'm not mistaken i believe it was after he was done playing high school ball

2 hours ago, shotime73 said:

If I'm not mistaken i believe it was after he was done playing high school ball

No, it wasn’t. See my comment above. I was at the high school when it happened.