Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, texbound said:

Washington is on the hot seat now.  No Roger's, no Ringo....man has to go!

Actually the first hot seat was Beck.  He’s quite safe now as well.  

38 minutes ago, poconolonghorn said:

Will this help with Ringo or is he just trolling?

Ringo is an amazing player, but at this point I think he's just getting some attention, which is fine with me, I don't care...but I wouldn't take it seriously.

It looks like the 2020 class is really beginning to shape up. We haven't cracked the top 10 yet though I do expect that to happen by the time the dust settles. I know there are still a few names on the list that we would love to have and I understand that we are probably taking a smaller class this cycle since next cycle is absolutely loaded to the hilt. Coach Herman has said that the staff is not going to take guys just to take them but I do have to wonder if we will end up with some talented yet lower rated guys to fill out the class. I mean, PSU (disgusting rats that they are) is ranked one spot ahead of us with a significantly lower average and no 5 star recruits and three less 4 star guys. They have 16 3 stars committed. I, for one, always want quality over quantity but we could easily finish top 5 this cycle if we take on some 3 star guys that can grow and improve. It seems the recruiting services don't value the quality as much as I do. I've heard we will take 20-25 kids but we're sitting at 12 now and the season is less than a month away. Will the staff ramp up the offers to lower rated guys to go ahead and get the recruiting thing over with (I know, it never ends) in order to focus more on the season at hand?

5 hours ago, TheContractor said:

I think 22-25(that includes grad transfers). I think we we’ll sign 23-24 HS players 

That means that they will sign players not even on the radar yet.

I've got both Thompson's as future commits along with Alfred Collins, Javian Hester, Quentin Johnston and Joshua Eaton. That only brings the total to 18. I'm sure I am missing a player or two, but that's all I can see committing from our current offer list. Someone please correct me.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I've got both Thompson's as future commits along with Alfred Collins, Javian Hester, Quentin Johnston and Joshua Eaton. That only brings the total to 18. I'm sure I am missing a player or two, but that's all I can see committing from our current offer list. Someone please correct me.

We always do take players not on the radar in June. Examples: 2019, Hookfin and Lewis. 2018, Jones and Ojomo. 2017, Had lots because of the transition year. 

Plus I think we are in a good spot for a few others that you didn’t name: Bunkley, Scott, Pouncey, Umanmielen, Jordan, and Alford  

21 minutes ago, TB14 said:

We always do take players not on the radar in June. Examples: 2019, Hookfin and Lewis. 2018, Jones and Ojomo. 2017, Had lots because of the transition year. 

Plus I think we are in a good spot for a few others that you didn’t name: Bunkley, Scott, Pouncey, Umanmielen, Jordan, and Alford  

I think we get either Bunkley or Hester but not both. Scott is one I missed. If Collins seems like a commit to the staff Umanmielen won't be a take from what I have read. I don't think Pouncey is that interested and Alford will probably go elsewhere if both Thompsons commit. Time to start digging deeper on in state talent. Where's my DCTF mag?

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

Well, I think Hookfin was a late addition as was Ojomo.

Staff will likely find 2-3 players during the season who stand out or grow into themselves during their senior year in high school. Thats exactly what Hookfind and Ojomo were.

We've also got some hooks in the water in the JUCO circuit.

As for your names . . . we're not in that great a shape with Pouncey and Alford. We may or may not take Umanmielen. Bunkley is a hot name right now but will take his visits.

Chris Thompson is likely your next commit. A couple of other 2020 targets could fall soon, too.

So there's plenty of time to add to this class down the road. The important thing is to cash in on your preferred targets, like we're doing.

8 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Well, I think Hookfin was a late addition as was Ojomo.

Staff will likely find 2-3 players during the season who stand out or grow into themselves during their senior year in high school. Thats exactly what Hookfind and Ojomo were.

We've also got some hooks in the water in the JUCO circuit.

As for your names . . . we're not in that great a shape with Pouncey and Alford. We may or may not take Umanmielen. Bunkley is a hot name right now but will take his visits.

Chris Thompson is likely your next commit. A couple of other 2020 targets could fall soon, too.

So there's plenty of time to add to this class down the road. The important thing is to cash in on your preferred targets, like we're doing.

Do you think we finish top 7?

5 hours ago, Baron said:

I certainly hope we'll sign a LB or two.  Sure hope we can flip Josh White.