Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

11 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

^ This. 

Its a perception issue. Us, and the Big 12 as a whole, are considered pass happy spread teams. That’s great for recruiting WR’s but not so much RB’s. Even Herman’s OSU offense was/is heavy on QB runs. 

If we ever establish a run first “smash mouth” offense we will pull the top backs but we will stop getting the top Receivers. 

I disagree. Herman and Drayton has been able to sell recruits that they were the OC and RB coach at Ohio State and coached Ezekiel Elliott to where he was the a top five draft pick . If other teams are able to convince recruits that UT is a pass happy team then they are out recruiting us.

I give Drayton a pass on Trey Sanders last year. The top RB in the country with no Texas ties and going to Alabama is understandable.

The big disappointment was losing out on Noah Cain. He had Texas ties and went to Penn State which has not been a top ten team for the most part since Jerry Sandusky.

I give Drayton a  pass on Zackery Evans. It looks like we lost him with Hand didn't treat Damieon George as the next Anthony Munoz. I did see on the Alabama board that very unhappy that they recruited George. 

The other disappointment is the future loss of Bijan Robinson. It looks like he trust future hall of fame coach Ryan Day then Herman. There's a thread on the Ohio State board that the Ryan Day era will be better than  Meyer and Tressel. and so far he has coached three games. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Is anyone getting a little concerned that the 2021 class will be as large as the 2020 class soon?

I wouldn't call it concerned. 

It's obvious that the staff has changed their approach.

19 hours ago, TB14 said:

Completely disagree. Let’s look a little closer. 

2018 he took Ingram who was the best RB in the state consensus 4 star, and tons of offers. Also went and got a pretty good grad transfer for instant needed depth. A for that year. 

2019 he took Derrian Brown who was a top 20 back nationally, 4 star recruit, and beat several legit SEC schools for him including Auburn. No in state backs that appeared highly rated and worth pursuing hard. Missed on 2 5 star guys to elite programs. B for that year. 

2020 looks like he may miss on Robinson and Evans. However, still in contention McClellan and Jordan. Way to early to tell about this year. If he flips McClellan and gets Jordan then we’d all be singing his praises. Let’s see what happens. Incomplete. 

Overall he’s been no worse than a B level recruiter every other coach has had misses too but they still get a pass. Not sure why we are turning so quick on Drayton. 

Because we can’t cry about Giles any more.   

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Is anyone getting a little concerned that the 2021 class will be as large as the 2020 class soon?

Right now we have 11 commitments for 2020 and five for 2021. What makes you believe that were going to be getting six more commitments for 2021 than 2020 soon?

That's going to be a lot Kate pictures. We deserve a Kate movie, maybe one where she kills vampires.:)

11 hours ago, primal defense said:

I disagree. Herman and Drayton has been able to sell recruits that they were the OC and RB coach at Ohio State and coached Ezekiel Elliott to where he was the a top five draft pick . If other teams are able to convince recruits that UT is a pass happy team then they are out recruiting us.

I give Drayton a pass on Trey Sanders last year. The top RB in the country with no Texas ties and going to Alabama is understandable.

The big disappointment was losing out on Noah Cain. He had Texas ties and went to Penn State which has not been a top ten team for the most part since Jerry Sandusky.

I give Drayton a  pass on Zackery Evans. It looks like we lost him with Hand didn't treat Damieon George as the next Anthony Munoz. I did see on the Alabama board that very unhappy that they recruited George. 

The other disappointment is the future loss of Bijan Robinson. It looks like he trust future hall of fame coach Ryan Day then Herman. There's a thread on the Ohio State board that the Ryan Day era will be better than  Meyer and Tressel. and so far he has coached three games. 

It’s easy to convince people if you show them the proof. 

2012 Braxton Miller (1,271)

2013 Carlos Hyde (1,521)Braxton Miller (1,068)

2014 Elliott (1,878)Miller(938)

2015 Greg Ward Jr (1,114)

2016 Greg Ward Jr (518)

2017 Sam Ehlinger (381)

2018 Tre Watson (786) Sam Ehlinger (482 with 13 more rushing TD’s than any other player)

when Herman was the OC at OSU and through the end of this past season a QB has led the team in rushing 4 out of the 7 years and was the second leading rusher the other 3. 

What’s our pitch “come be the featured back at Texas and rack up 786 yards and 3 TD’s”?

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

What makes you believe that were going to be getting six more commitments for 2021 than 2020 soon?

In March, the 2020 class had two commits.

A full year and a third earlier, the 2121 class has tripled that total with talk of more coming.

Kate's having the time of her life here, lol

38 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

In March, the 2020 class had two commits.

A full year and a third earlier, the 2121 class has tripled that total with talk of more coming.

Kate's having the time of her life here, lol

2121? :huh: :D

42 minutes ago, PTA said:

I bet Texas has the #1 ranked class so far.

slow the roll.....we are ranked4.....Miami has 12 commits so far. Not only that but but we are third highest average rank. We are doing great, but others are doing greater....

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

slow the roll.....we are ranked4.....Miami has 12 commits so far. Not only that but but we are third highest average rank. We are doing great, but others are doing greater....

You missed the joke. 

4 hours ago, Baron said:

2121? :huh: :D

3 hours ago, PTA said:

I bet Texas has the #1 ranked class so far.

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

OldHorn...I seriously doubt you read that the post reads 2121.