Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

The RB issue makes you think what happens if we take Eno Benjamin and not Toneil Carter in 2017?

Also what if we took Mohamed Sanogo? Probably a little better at LB. 

But hindsight is 2020. 

I have no idea whether Drayton is doing a good job or not. Position coaches like that are so hard to judge to most folks outside the program.

However Texas has had OL issues and running problems for over a decade now. They started before Mack decided to switch to a more 'bama' type of offense in 2010. No one considering Texas right now has any memory of Texas being a rushing powerhouse. Jamaal Charles was a loooong time ago. 

That's a pretty tough sell for a top RB looking for a program where he can run the ball. 

Still, we have Ingram getting pre-season attention, and if he stays healthy could have a pretty good season. One of the things I'm looking forward to most this season is a return to a power OLine where Ehlinger isn't relied upon to carry the rushing load. Having our QB carry that load has been problem since Colt. 

That's an incredibly difficult problem for a coach to fix, but we've seen signs that this is getting better under Herman and Drayton. We all want it to get better faster, but as long as we're seeing steady improvement then that's all we can ask. 

I think if we get to a point where these issues are fixed, we're rushing the ball like nuts, but we *still* can't attract more 5* RB talent... then at that point it's easier to judge just the recruiting ability of your position coach. But until then both Herman and Drayton have a pretty tough sell to guys who didn't grow up already a Texas fan. 

OB just interviewed Lindberg's mom. Sounds like a decision could come this weekend... It also sounds like it will be Georgia based on the info... All the mods there just put in their futurecast/CB for Georgia... 

It sure sounds like Lindberg has been looking for a reason to not go to Texas.. 

34 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

OB just interviewed Lindberg's mom. Sounds like a decision could come this weekend... It also sounds like it will be Georgia based on the info... All the mods there just put in their futurecast/CB for Georgia... 

It’s all good, get Savion Byrd & Brockermeyer next class and we’re set

4 hours ago, TexExSpur said:

What's the running list of kids coming in this weekend look like?

I heard Collins is not headed to OU.

updated list from brainiacs

2020 Recruits

• Vernon Broughton (DL) – Cy Ridge HS
  • Hudson Card (QB) – Lake Travis HS
  • Jaylen Garth (OL) – Port Neches-Grove
  • Alfred Collins (DL) – Cedar Creek HS
  • LV Bunkley-Shelton (WR) – Gardena, CA
  • JJ Hester (WR) – Tulsa, OK
  • Courtland Ford (OL) – Cedar Hill HS
  • Derrick Lewis (LB) — Schertz, TX (NEW)
  • Quentin Johnston (WR) — Temple HS (NEW)

2021 Recruits

• Lake McRee (TE) — Lake Travis HS
  • Jalen Milroe (QB) — Katy Tompkins HS
  • Hayden Conner (OL) — Katy Taylor HS
  • Brandon Campbell (RB) – Pearland HS
  • Billy Bowman (ATH) – Denton Ryan HS
  • Juan Davis (TE) – Everman HS
  • JD Coffey (S) – Kennedale HS
  • Ishmael Ibraheem (CB) – Kimball HS
  • Latrell Neville (WR) – Hightower HS
  • Derrick Harris Jr. (OLB) — New Caney HS
  • JoJo Earle (WR) – Aledo HS

2022 Recruits

• Jordan Crook (ATH) – Bishop Dunne HS
  • Derrick Johnson (S) – Lake Travis HS
  • Caleb Burton (WR) — Del Valle HS (NEW)

1 hour ago, Captain Hookem said:

I have no idea whether Drayton is doing a good job or not. Position coaches like that are so hard to judge to most folks outside the program.

However Texas has had OL issues and running problems for over a decade now. They started before Mack decided to switch to a more 'bama' type of offense in 2010. No one considering Texas right now has any memory of Texas being a rushing powerhouse. Jamaal Charles was a loooong time ago. 

That's a pretty tough sell for a top RB looking for a program where he can run the ball. 

Still, we have Ingram getting pre-season attention, and if he stays healthy could have a pretty good season. One of the things I'm looking forward to most this season is a return to a power OLine where Ehlinger isn't relied upon to carry the rushing load. Having our QB carry that load has been problem since Colt. 

That's an incredibly difficult problem for a coach to fix, but we've seen signs that this is getting better under Herman and Drayton. We all want it to get better faster, but as long as we're seeing steady improvement then that's all we can ask. 

I think if we get to a point where these issues are fixed, we're rushing the ball like nuts, but we *still* can't attract more 5* RB talent... then at that point it's easier to judge just the recruiting ability of your position coach. But until then both Herman and Drayton have a pretty tough sell to guys who didn't grow up already a Texas fan. 

^ This. 

Its a perception issue. Us, and the Big 12 as a whole, are considered pass happy spread teams. That’s great for recruiting WR’s but not so much RB’s. Even Herman’s OSU offense was/is heavy on QB runs. 

If we ever establish a run first “smash mouth” offense we will pull the top backs but we will stop getting the top Receivers. 

7 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

^ This. 

Its a perception issue. Us, and the Big 12 as a whole, are considered pass happy spread teams. That’s great for recruiting WR’s but not so much RB’s. Even Herman’s OSU offense was/is heavy on QB runs. 

If we ever establish a run first “smash mouth” offense we will pull the top backs but we will stop getting the top Receivers. 

You make a good point but there’s is a way we can do both. Look at the RB and WR talent LSU brings in year in and year out. And their QBs//passing attack is shit. We can and should have been able to bring in better talent past 2 classes and so far this one. That’s why 2020 class is the deciding factor for Drayton 

1 hour ago, TheContractor said:

Ideal 2021 OL is Brockermeyer x 2, SB, BF, HC, DJ. Then we are on level playing field with Clemson, Bama, Ohio st, etc 

We wont get all 6 of those.  4/6 I'd put at 95%.  5/6 is possible.  The Foster recruitment will be interesting to watch.  I think the biggest hurdle will be the aggy mom letting him go to Texas.

2 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

He's had half a year to jump on board and never did.  

It may be a blessing in disguise long term cause' Karic looks like a beast. 

1 hour ago, Slimer said:

We wont get all 6 of those.  4/6 I'd put at 95%.  5/6 is possible.  The Foster recruitment will be interesting to watch.  I think the biggest hurdle will be the aggy mom letting him go to Texas.

Apparently she is willing to let him decide for himself..... She already knows he grew up a Texas fan.

1 hour ago, Slimer said:

That’s why I’m hoping we stay at 4 OL in 2020. I think all 6 are better than who is left for us to take and maybe better than all 2020 commits