Daniel Seahorn

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

1 hour ago, Baron said:

And the question needs to asked, why do we keep missing out on top flight RB's after they show interest? I'm hearing more and more grumbling about Drayton. Personally I don't tout just one reason. 

The last 1000 yd rusher for Texas not named D'Onta Foreman was Jamaal Charles in 2007.

I think the RB situation is just evidence of where we've been as a program. You give your pitch nonetheless and take those who want to come.

The OL looks like we're going to a level where you and I could run through the holes. When that happens, they'll be lining up to come here. What they've seen is UT starting freshmen tackles and having little to no depth.

I think our rushing attack this year is going to be dominant and not so much due to our QB. We're going to run some people over this year.

5 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think the RB situation is just evidence of where we've been as a program. You give your pitch nonetheless and take those who want to come.

The OL looks like we're going to a level where you and I could run through the holes. When that happens, they'll be lining up to come here. What they've seen is UT starting freshmen tackles and having little to no depth.

I think our rushing attack this year is going to be dominant and not so much due to our QB. We're going to run some people over this year.

Not if my walker snags on a piece of grass. :o

40 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We saw glimpses of the OL taking over games last year at times.  Now that we have a real OL Coach and with what's been brought in ( and being brought in ) it's only going to get better and better.

A 3rd year starter at QB (Without looking it up, the most experienced in the conference).  The expectation is that the offense scores at will.  Losing 8 starters on defense; let's hope the other experienced defenders can step up and shut down the other offenses.

37 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Herman has got to be shaking his head re our rb coach. 

I don't think he is. Herman seems to be a man of action. If he perceives a problem he makes a change. Example: When the OL played poorly in '17 he shuffled a couple of coaches and brought in Hand. I'm thinking Drayton would already be gone if Herman thought there was a problem or a better coach to be had.

38 minutes ago, Baron said:

I don't think he is. Herman seems to be a man of action. If he perceives a problem he makes a change. Example: When the OL played poorly in '17 he shuffled a couple of coaches and brought in Hand. I'm thinking Drayton would already be gone if Herman thought there was a problem or a better coach to be had.

Coaches like Tarzan.

Recruits like Jane.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

i think he will be gone in Jan 2020. He hasnt done his job in recruiting since he has been at Texas. thats a fact

7 hours ago, Baron said:

And the question needs to asked, why do we keep missing out on top flight RB's after they show interest? I'm hearing more and more grumbling about Drayton. Personally I don't tout just one reason. 

The last 1000 yd rusher for Texas not named D'Onta Foreman was Jamaal Charles in 2007.

I too grumble about Drayton as each 5-star ditches us, but if Ingram and Whittington end up being the players we think they are we've ended up with a solid RB room nonetheless.  And though we're not leading for any top guys right now there's a lot of time before signing day.  The only thing that would be shocking is if none of these top RBs have another twist in their respective recruitments.  He could still pull something off.

If we don't get a top RB this year and don't have Wheaton committed then I have to wonder if Drayton moves on.

I've been assuming we take 3 WRs this year.  My hope has been they are Wilson, QJ, and a slot (Mookie?  Achane?  This Bunkley-Shelton kid?).  Now there seems to be chatter about Hester, does he replace one of the above?  Or might we take 4?

29 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Evans fatigue. Same here.

Well I had Fournette last year in fantasy as my #1 pick. What a bust. 439 yds, 3.3 yds/carry and whopping 5 TDs. Death of a pick especially when you are picking last. 

Drayton won't lose his job as long as the RB's are producing. That's probably where we have to separate recruiting stars from production. At the end of the day production is all that matters :)

33 minutes ago, BBQJoeKC said:

Drayton won't lose his job as long as the RB's are producing. That's probably where we have to separate recruiting stars from production. At the end of the day production is all that matters :)

False. RB coach Is by far the easiest on field coaching job. Your main job is to coach them up, it’s not like you did an exceptional job that someone else can do. 50 Percent of the job is being an ace recruiter and she has a C average. 

7 hours ago, bevotee said:

I too grumble about Drayton as each 5-star ditches us, but if Ingram and Whittington end up being the players we think they are we've ended up with a solid RB room nonetheless.  And though we're not leading for any top guys right now there's a lot of time before signing day.  The only thing that would be shocking is if none of these top RBs have another twist in their respective recruitments.  He could still pull something off.

If we don't get a top RB this year and don't have Wheaton committed then I have to wonder if Drayton moves on.

Ingram he gets credit for , good job.

Brown, incomplete with some bad luck bc if his injury but we don’t know how good he could be. He didn’t have an instate UGA offer. 

Whittington, Drayton gets 0 credit for. He was recruited as an athlete and not by him specifically. 

And there is nobody else, and that’s a problem. The quality and quantity of misses is too much. Maybe he changes all that this cycle, it’s not over yet but unless he does, he is dead wt

34 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

False. RB coach Is by far the easiest on field coaching job. Your main job is to coach them up, it’s not like you did an exceptional job that someone else can do. 50 Percent of the job is being an ace recruiter and she has a C average. 

D+ 

And an F based on expectations.

27 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

D+ 

And an F based on expectations.

Completely disagree. Let’s look a little closer. 

2018 he took Ingram who was the best RB in the state consensus 4 star, and tons of offers. Also went and got a pretty good grad transfer for instant needed depth. A for that year. 

2019 he took Derrian Brown who was a top 20 back nationally, 4 star recruit, and beat several legit SEC schools for him including Auburn. No in state backs that appeared highly rated and worth pursuing hard. Missed on 2 5 star guys to elite programs. B for that year. 

2020 looks like he may miss on Robinson and Evans. However, still in contention McClellan and Jordan. Way to early to tell about this year. If he flips McClellan and gets Jordan then we’d all be singing his praises. Let’s see what happens. Incomplete. 

Overall he’s been no worse than a B level recruiter every other coach has had misses too but they still get a pass. Not sure why we are turning so quick on Drayton. 

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

2018 he took Ingram who was the best RB in the state consensus 4 star, and tons of offers. Also went and got a pretty good grad transfer for instant needed depth. A for that year. 

2019 he took Derrian Brown who was a top 20 back nationally, 4 star recruit, and beat several legit SEC schools for him including Auburn. No in state backs that appeared highly rated and worth pursuing hard. Missed on 2 5 star guys to elite programs. B for that year. 

2020 looks like he may miss on Robinson and Evans. However, still in contention McClellan and Jordan. Way to early to tell about this year. If he flips McClellan and gets Jordan then we’d all be singing his praises. Let’s see what happens. Incomplete. 

Overall he’s been no worse than a B level recruiter every other coach has had misses too but they still get a pass. Not sure why we are turning so quick on Drayton. 

2018 A

2019 C- (we needed another quality RB, and needed a 2nd RB, even Stevenson(Ou) would have gotten a B. No way this year is a B, C-might be generous. We were/are desperate for a RB. If we have 1 injury we are in real trouble. 

2020 incomplete 

if 2020 isn’t an A with the talent available , then its time for a change. 

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

If he gets McClellan and Jordan I won’t be singing his praises. But I will pat him on the back and give him a B+.