Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

HornSports Staff

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

24 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't think Bijan has committed anywhere yet. OSU's recruits got a little happy with the talk, IMO.

If Bijan was a tOSU silent, then Bill Kurellic, Wiltfong, and several others would have put in crystal ball picks.

I didn’t mean to imply the I thought Bijan and Broughton have already given silent commits yet. Let me rephrase it. Let’s say they both commit in the next few weeks to somewhere else, the season starts and we win the big 12, I don’t think either of them would back out of their original commitment. 

11 hours ago, Baron said:

Texas is the only team in the top 50 247 recruiting rankings with less than 10 commits. We're at 7 and ranked at 40. Over half of the top 50 in state players are committed and the ones who aren't seem to be trending away from the Horns. We have serious competition for every player that is at the top of our list. The national net we have cast seems to be falling short. We have had two commits in the last three months. This isn't a knee jerk reaction, it's been brewing since late April.

How it all ends up playing out is going to be very interesting. Texas has pretty done all the things that is supposed to put themselves in position to land their share of the top recruits they are after yet it seemingly didn't have the effect it should have. That tells me some things are going on that we are not privy to. 

One of the things that I think is in play now, for whatever reason, is that other teams/programs have ramped up the negative recruiting against Texas. Bottom line, other teams/programs play the recruiting game differently than we are willing to play it. In several ways. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

How it all ends up playing out is going to be very interesting. Texas has pretty done all the things that is supposed to put themselves in position to land their share of the top recruits they are after yet it seemingly didn't have the effect it should have. That tells me some things are going on that we are not privy to. 

One of the things that I think is in play now, for whatever reason, is that other teams/programs have ramped up the negative recruiting against Texas. Bottom line, other teams/programs play the recruiting game differently than we are willing to play it. In several ways. 

I agree that something just doesn’t add up. We had our best year in almost a decade. 

I completely understand UT losing out of players like Ransom and Washington because the depth suggests they may not see the field for at least 2 years. That is a huge factor. However, I do not understand a situation like Bijan.  If I was a highly rated RB I would be knocking down the door to get into a program like Texas that is building a solid Oline and needs RBs.  The possibility of playing early and often is high here.  Maybe Texas plans on keeping Whittington at RB from here on out and that has something to do with it.  

11 minutes ago, texbound said:

I completely understand UT losing out of players like Ransom and Washington because the depth suggests they may not see the field for at least 2 years. That is a huge factor. However, I do not understand a situation like Bijan.  If I was a highly rated RB I would be knocking down the door to get into a program like Texas that is building a solid Oline and needs RBs.  The possibility of playing early and often is high here.  Maybe Texas plans on keeping Whittington at RB from here on out and that has something to do with it.  

Whittington is talented as hell, but he hasn't played a down of college football yet. I can't imagine that his presence alone would be enough to scare away top talent at RB, especially since most programs feature multiple RBs nowadays. Something isn't adding up, with Evans not even including Texas in his top 5, and now Bijan trending away from Texas. The simplest explanation seems to be that Drayton is just a poor recruiter.

15 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't think Bijan has committed anywhere yet. OSU's recruits got a little happy with the talk, IMO.

Brainiacs said today that UT is right there with aggy for Broughton. 

Oh, I saw this today. (below). Mack had a decommit.

Freakin' aggy bagmen

12 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Funny you should mention this. I was thinking the same thing myself. I don't know why the three Arizona players are rumored to be headed to Ohio State over UT. However, I do know that everyone at Ohio State including the fans hate Tom Herman. I'm pretty sure that when Bijan was on his visit at Ohio State he heard plenty of Tom Herman and Zach Smith strip club stories. 

I was around when Darrel Royal was coach and the rumors I had heard that it was Frank Erwin who not allow  Coach Royal to recruit black athletes  for a number of years.The 1969 Texas team was the last all white team to win the NC. Barry Switzer and OU used that against DKR and in recruiting circles he was racist. While UT dominated the series in the 60's, OU won the last five of the last six games that DKR coached andRoyal's last season ended in a 6-6 tie.

I believe that's what caused DKR to quit coaching early. He couldn't compete in recruiting. I hope this slump is just something that a winning season can't cure and we did end up with the 3rd ranked class year, but I was concerned when this came out last year and I'm concerned now.

Here's on article about DKR.

Royal Pain

Allegations Still Surround Legendary UT Coach

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Not worried. Best recruiters on tje staff are DB coaches. He is probably scared of the depth chart. 

I’m not exactly worried either considering how stacked Texas is at the position. 

With that said.. that ain’t going to stop people from yelling and screaming given how things have been breaking lately. 

54 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

I’m not exactly worried either considering how stacked Texas is at the position. 

With that said.. that ain’t going to stop people from yelling and screaming given how things have been breaking lately. 

tumblr_nndwmeYhMc1spm17no1_500.gif

1 hour ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Not worried. Best recruiters on tje staff are DB coaches. He is probably scared of the depth chart. 

I saw his quotes about what the OU DC said. He said they didn't have a single defensive player who could get to the NFL right now.

That sold him. lol

14 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I saw his quotes about what the OU DC said. He said they didn't have a single defensive player who could get to the NFL right now.

That sold him. lol

Allegedly that came from Josh Eaton and not Washington but either way if that’s the pitch coming from their DC.... yikes. 

4 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Allegedly that came from Josh Eaton and not Washington but either way if that’s the pitch coming from their DC.... yikes. 

Yea, he’s not doing himself any favors with the kids he’ll play this fall.  They may all quit on him

1 hour ago, Drb522 said:

Yea, he’s not doing himself any favors with the kids he’ll play this fall.  They may all quit on him

or those kids might just be smart enough to realize it as well.