Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Sounds like the staff got a little cocky in thinking some guys were in the bag before they were.  Herman can coach but he definitely rubs me as a guy whose hubris may get the best of him at times.  Hopefully a lesson learned here, with time to salvage things.  After consecutive top-5 classes it's hard to believe that a 10-win season with a BCS win over UGA doesn't result in a windfall.

7 hours ago, bevotee said:

Sounds like the staff got a little cocky in thinking some guys were in the bag before they were.  Herman can coach but he definitely rubs me as a guy whose hubris may get the best of him at times.  Hopefully a lesson learned here, with time to salvage things.  After consecutive top-5 classes it's hard to believe that a 10-win season with a BCS win over UGA doesn't result in a windfall.

Exactly what can you point to that indicates the staff got a little cocky and thought some guys were in the bag? 

I highly doubt Tom has any more hubris than any other head coach. I don't think it is a coincidence that all of sudden we see a significant number of recruits seemingly shun Texas. And I don't think that has much to do with Herman or his coaching staff.

16 minutes ago, TexExSpur said:

Evans will be an Aggie.  TH is getting kicked in the crotch!

I signed up just to say this:

Evans has been a long shot since he excluded TX.   Now he might have TX back in his top5 along with aggie I'm hearing?  If he goes aggie, at least we won't have to play against him.

Losing Evans to aggie is no more of a crotch slap than losing him to OU

If Evans goes aggie, and turns out to be the second coming of Fournette, just wait for the aggie calls to start playing Texas again.  

Lastly, yes we are behind on numbers, but I'm sure we will pump out more offers and land a fine class.  Maybe not top 8, but I think we land between 8 and 12, and that's ok with me.

12 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

He told several reporters he was planning to attend the aggy swim party in late July.... This is after his planned commit timeline. So that is interesting. Also reports are Texas is running third currently.

Boughton has never committed to a date for his decision, only that it would likely be at the end of Summer.  Although, I think he'll go with the Ags.

3 hours ago, Bevo Unchained said:

I signed up just to say this:

Evans has been a long shot since he excluded TX.   Now he might have TX back in his top5 along with aggie I'm hearing?  If he goes aggie, at least we won't have to play against him.

Losing Evans to aggie is no more of a crotch slap than losing him to OU

If Evans goes aggie, and turns out to be the second coming of Fournette, just wait for the aggie calls to start playing Texas again.  

Lastly, yes we are behind on numbers, but I'm sure we will pump out more offers and land a fine class.  Maybe not top 8, but I think we land between 8 and 12, and that's ok with me.

This.

People need to quit knee jerking. Acting like ags. 

Hard to believe recruiting went so great Herman first 2 cycles and now come off of a 10 win season plus a beatdown of the mighty SEC and we are struggling.  

These kids are either a) getting paid or b) don't have any sense to want to go play for a mediocre aggy amd never win diddly-pooh.  

1 hour ago, Slimer said:

Hard to believe recruiting went so great Herman first 2 cycles and now come off of a 10 win season plus a beatdown of the mighty SEC and we are struggling.  

These kids are either a) getting paid or b) don't have any sense to want to go play for a mediocre aggy amd never win diddly-pooh.  

No doubt, hell just a month ago erbody seemed to be trending Texas. How does it change so quick

33 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

No doubt, hell just a month ago erbody seemed to be trending Texas. How does it change so quick

They’re 17 year old kids. It’s not all that surprising that it’s highly variable. That’s why I don’t really bother following recruiting all that closely until about a month or two out from signing day. Give it time and it’ll swing back our way, especially if we kick the snot out of LSU and generally take care of business on the field this year.

That being said, I’m starting to get a bit nervous about the small class size. I work with a bunch of OU grads and they’re always gloating about how many silent commits they have lined up...and we’re sitting here with 7 commits.

56 minutes ago, utb040713 said:

They’re 17 year old kids. It’s not all that surprising that it’s highly variable. That’s why I don’t really bother following recruiting all that closely until about a month or two out from signing day. Give it time and it’ll swing back our way, especially if we kick the snot out of LSU and generally take care of business on the field this year.

That being said, I’m starting to get a bit nervous about the small class size. I work with a bunch of OU grads and they’re always gloating about how many silent commits they have lined up...and we’re sitting here with 7 commits.

Sooners are benefiting from the “honeymoon” stage of having a new defensive coordinator who promising the future is bright. At least on that side of the ball. 

Your right about recruiting, but it’s still fun to follow. Hopefully winning helps, but 10 win season shouldn’t have hurt matters a bit. 

1 hour ago, okiehorn said:

$’s talk.

jawja, a$m, bammer, little ut, lsu, miss and aggy miss, nike u, tosu, condom sc are all in the sweepstakes that the worthless ncaa pretends doesn’t exist. 

You can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket. And very early in the game it’s easy to figure out which tickets are for sale.  We need to do a better job of collecting those who are not. 

Or play the game.

Texas is the only team in the top 50 247 recruiting rankings with less than 10 commits. We're at 7 and ranked at 40. Over half of the top 50 in state players are committed and the ones who aren't seem to be trending away from the Horns. We have serious competition for every player that is at the top of our list. The national net we have cast seems to be falling short. We have had two commits in the last three months. This isn't a knee jerk reaction, it's been brewing since late April.

47 minutes ago, drgilbert said:

My concern is even if we win big this year, if kids like Bijan and Broughton have already committed to another school, they won’t flip. They seem to have a high character and won’t go back on their commitment. 

I don't think Bijan has committed anywhere yet. OSU's recruits got a little happy with the talk, IMO.

Brainiacs said today that UT is right there with aggy for Broughton. 

Oh, I saw this today. (below). Mack had a decommit.

5 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Mookie sets an announcement date. He has already told his school of choice that he's coming.

https://theathletic.com/1062124/2019/07/03/mookie-cooper-2020-recruit-ohio-state/

Kid has been all over the place.  I'm getting a "transfer after 1 year if not playing" vibe.