Find results in...

Texas vs. Oregon State - Alamo Bowl Open Thread

bbdude

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

David Ash has regressed substantially. 7/13 for 53 yards in the first half. He has zero touch on the ball tonight. He's all we have tonight but I guarantee you his job as a starer is anyhting but guaranteed next season. Tonight is living proof of that.

• Administrators

And yes, the gameplan appears to be complete shit. I thought Major was going to keep it in the hands of the speedsters consistently. Goodwin had the nice td run and Daje Johnson has been in on a couple of plays but has not touched the ball.

Look we know the Ash isn't the answer. But what drives me crazy is how bad the defense is. The group has been bad all year and is the worst in Texas history. They cannot stop the run at all and it's a big reason why teams have so much success against them. Problem with the defense is the interior DT's are not good against the run and cannot shed blocks well. Also Texas does not have an effective middle linebacker. Edmond and Santons are slow and don't read plays well. I also don't like how the Longhorns play nickel a bunch. But it's kind of funny because I think a big reason the Longhorns play nickel is to have a place for Vaccaro to play.

Vaccaro is an interesting player. He is a high effort guy, loves to hit, and is a tackling machine. If he was bigger he would be a freak linebacker. The problem with Vaccaro is he doesn't have the speed and coverage skills to play a true safety position, at the back of the defense. Which is why he is often close to the line of scrimmage. So this is 1 reason I think we see Texas play more Nickel in 1 season than i can ever remember. If they were to play the traditional 4-3 (4 linemen, 3 LB's) Vaccaro would have to be move to 1 of the deep safety positions and I don't think the coaches feel comfortable with him back there, I honestly wouldn't either. Vaccaro is a tackling machine and great at that. But he is no Earl Thomas, which forces Diaz to use him in a different way than traditional safety play. And sure, Texas plays Nickel due to what the offense is giving them too. But I don't see Vaccaro having the success on Sundays that many are assuming he will have. I like him a lot though for his effort and tenacity, but at no fault of his own I just don't think he has the speed/coverage skills to play deep so he plays inside and close to the line.

Edited by Wes

• Administrators

I have always had the opinion that Vaccaro is a hitter and not the fastest guy in the world. Watch any of his plays and look at his closing speed. All the defensive back this season are slow and Vaccaro tends to try and make up for the speed issue by busting chops.

And yes, the gameplan appears to be complete $#@!. I thought Major was going to keep it in the hands of the speedsters consistently. Goodwin had the nice td run and Daje Johnson has been in on a couple of plays but has not touched the ball.

Absolutely beyond embarrassing. The speedsters don't matter if Ash isn't a threat. They don't even have to drop into coverage! We have some damn good WR's and they are being utterly wasted.

Look we know the Ash isn't the answer. But what drives me crazy is how bad the defense is. The group has been bad all year and is the worst in Texas history. They cannot stop the run at all and it's a big reason why teams have so much success against them. Problem with the defense is the interior DT's are not good against the run and cannot shed blocks well. Also Texas does not have an effective middle linebacker. Edmond and Santons are slow and don't read plays well. I also don't like how the Longhorns play nickel a bunch. But it's kind of funny because I think a big reason the Longhorns play nickel is to have a place for Vaccaro to play.

Vaccaro is an interesting player. He is a high effort guy, loves to hit, and is a tackling machine. If he was bigger he would be a freak linebacker. The problem with Vaccaro is he doesn't have the speed and coverage skills to play a true safety position, at the back of the defense. Which is why he is often close to the line of scrimmage. So this is 1 reason I think we see Texas play more Nickel in 1 season than i can ever remember. If they were to play the traditional 4-3 (4 linemen, 3 LB's) Vaccaro would have to be move to 1 of the deep safety positions and I don't think the coaches feel comfortable with him back there, I honestly wouldn't either. Vaccaro is a tackling machine and great at that. But he is no Earl Thomas, which forces Diaz to use him in a different way than traditional safety play. And sure, Texas plays Nickel due to what the offense is giving them too. But I don't see Vaccaro having the success on Sundays that many are assuming he will have. I like him a lot though for his effort and tenacity, but at no fault of his own I just don't think he has the speed/coverage skills to play deep so he plays inside and close to the line.

Our D is amazing... Horrible run D but great pass rushers. You're right out interior is soft as jello. So disappointing.