Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

14 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I know I can say that I, along with @Daniel Seahorn saw LJH coming. We said he would break out and would be a major weapon for us. And he was. We saw this because he is very uncommon.

He is a freak athlete, uncommon size with multiple skills (can play an array of positions, plus return kicks) with uncanny coordination for a guy his size. You can't coach what he brings to the table.

He tore it up at Southlake Carroll, he tore it up at Texas . . and he will tear it up in the NFL.

I don't think he would have faired any better after another year at Texas. We saw what he could do. It was phenomenal. Nothing left to prove so don't risk it. This was the time to do it, IMO.

Just curious, were you and Daniel the only ones who saw LJH coming?

2 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

I wouldn't call any kid that is 6-4 and 210lbs a freak who can only run a 4.78 40.  I think he is a good athlete and is excellent with YAC, but I don't think he'll break  as many tackles in the NFL unfortunately.

This is where you might be tripping up, IMO. You list a size and a 40. And then make a conclusion.

"Kid" can play about any position on the field. He played RB in HS at that same size.

You say he won't be successful with his style of play in the NFL, but have no reason for saying that. He has done it everywhere he's been. 

1 minute ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Just curious, were you and Daniel the only ones who saw LJH coming?

Have no idea. But we're the ones who spoke up and made the prediction in a thread on Hornsports.

I think LJ should’ve came back one more year. Could use some work on route running especially. He made lots of contested catches but he should have created more separation. If he showed good improvement there his numbers would’ve been even higher and scouts would’ve noticed him getting open at a higher rate. 

He also could’ve proven he can stay clean for a full year without being suspended. I have to think the off field issues caused him to fall a little. The more time that passes without issue the better off he’d be.

The 40 time has more to do with him not training right between when he declared and the combine. He said he hadn’t been doing a lot of workouts. Why the hell not?! We all know those combine numbers matter whether we like it or not.

He will get a chance in New Orleans but it will sadly not be as much of a chance as someone drafted in the 5th round. And he doesn’t get near the signing bonus. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

This is where you might be tripping up, IMO. You list a size and a 40. And then make a conclusion.

"Kid" can play about any position on the field. He played RB in HS at that same size.

You say he won't be successful with his style of play in the NFL, but have no reason for saying that. He has done it everywhere he's been. 

Didn't say he wouldn't be successful and hope he will.  I was pointing out that he's a tweener who's 6'4" and only runs a 4.8 40.  Too light for a TE and too slow for a slot.

I said I don't think he'll break as many tackles against NFL secondaries.  I also stated that I think coming back another year would have only helped him.  Ultimately he didn't get drafted.  Not sure how much worse he could've done by coming back for his Sr. year.  I hear you on the injury front, but that's a risk all kids take and is likely a bit more applicable from a $ perspective for higher round options.  Kids that don't get drafted don't really have the same leverage or rationale to declare early to avoid injury.  They clearly need too put more strong play, speed, route running on film for more than one season to improve their draft grade.

LJH said in interviews it was not all about the money. So why not come back and finish what he started?  Get his degree and try and to help his team make the playoffs?

Question for the board.  Would Bru still have came to Texas if LJH stayed another year?

5 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Didn't say he wouldn't be successful and hope he will.  I was pointing out that he's a tweener who's 6'4" and only runs a 4.8 40.  Too light for a TE and too slow for a slot.

The same held true at Texas. Why would it matter now?

I said I don't think he'll break as many tackles against NFL secondaries.  I also stated that I think coming back another year would have only helped him.  Ultimately he didn't get drafted.  Not sure how much worse he could've done by coming back for his Sr. year.  I hear you on the injury front, but that's a risk all kids take and is likely a bit more applicable from a $ perspective for higher round options.  Kids that don't get drafted don't really have the same leverage or rationale to declare early to avoid injury.  They clearly need too put more strong play, speed, route running on film for more than one season to improve their draft grade.

I can't speak for LJH, I can only imagine he got some advice that wasn't entirely true or he just got set on going and wouldn't let anything stop him. His family already has money so it wasn't that. I can only assume he was just looking for the next challenge.

5 hours ago, GrayBeard said:

LJH said in interviews it was not all about the money. So why not come back and finish what he started?  Get his degree and try and to help his team make the playoffs?

Question for the board.  Would Bru still have came to Texas if LJH stayed another year?

Tough to say. Early PT could have played a factor. But it could have also been a "wait a minute, what have I done" realization while at USC and Texas was the only comfortable choice when he decided to leave?

2 hours ago, Rotty22 said:

My aggie BIL reminded me tonight that 3 Allen HS graduates were drafted before anyone from UT.  I had no response....

Tell him if Aggy scheduled Allen for a home and home, it would upgrade their schedule.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:19 PM, Rotty22 said:

My aggie BIL reminded me tonight that 3 Allen HS graduates were drafted before anyone from UT.  I had no response....

Aggy has been offered a home and home with Texas twice since they left.  They’ve taken neither opportunity.  Are they scared of a program with less draft picks than Allen ISD

a funny note.....  number 1 draft pick and heisman winner was in their laps and they couldn’t figure out to play him or not