Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

EJ's wife is expected to attend medical school in the Midwest and he would have had to relocate from Texas next year, so he will move to the midwest and cover another team.  I would not think it would be SMU, but could be wrong.

4 hours ago, GrayBeard said:

EJ's wife is expected to attend medical school in the Midwest and he would have had to relocate from Texas next year, so he will move to the midwest and cover another team.  I would not think it would be SMU, but could be wrong.

Other boards are saying Notre Dame.

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Other boards are saying Notre Dame.

This is correct, although it says Dallas Morning News/SMU on his profile. EJ's going to work for Rivals and cover Notre Dame. Not a bad gig I suppose.

Old Dominion, N Illinois, Central Michigan among other G5 schools had as many players drafted as UT. Temple had more. Let that sink in for a minute.

Perhaps the problem is that we somehow automatically feel the NFL owners make the right draft choices. So many times they do not. Hello Taco Charlton? Jerry Jones could write a novel on this subject.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:43 PM, CharcoalPuppy said:

I’m no scout but I am kind of puzzled at how Texas didn’t have a few more draftees.   I mean.. the FB from the agroids got drafted. Good for him.... but is he better than Gary Johnson and LJH ? Wtf. 

Gary Johnson is 220. How many NFL LBers are 220? LJH ran a 4.78. How many wideouts run that. They didn't get drafted because either they were undersized or slow. LJH going to the Saints was better than getting drafted. Get to learn from the best coach in the NFL not in Boston. And Payton isn't an ass. But dang, these Jrs need to listen to their draft grades and if you're not in the 1st 3 rounds come back. LJH should have known what he would run. How can he not see this coming?

12 hours ago, wadster said:

Gary Johnson is 220. How many NFL LBers are 220? LJH ran a 4.78. How many wideouts run that. They didn't get drafted because either they were undersized or slow. LJH going to the Saints was better than getting drafted. Get to learn from the best coach in the NFL not in Boston. And Payton isn't an ass. But dang, these Jrs need to listen to their draft grades and if you're not in the 1st 3 rounds come back. LJH should have known what he would run. How can he not see this coming?

How many NFL LB'ers run a 4.4?

As for LJH, thats like deciding on whether to draft Michael Jordan by observing his passing drills.

Speed is not LJH's forte. He has talents the NFL can't measure in a 40-yd dash. The Saints got a steal and the draft rounds will be littered with players who won't be able to sniff LJH's jock, performance wise.

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

How many NFL LB'ers run a 4.4?

As for LJH, thats like deciding on whether to draft Michael Jordan by observing his passing drills.

Speed is not LJH's forte. He has talents the NFL can't measure in a 40-yd dash. The Saints got a steal and the draft rounds will be littered with players who won't be able to sniff LJH's jock, performance wise.

I love LJH and what he did for our Horns and hope he shines with the Saints.  The NFL appears to have viewed him as a kid with skills that dozens of others possess if not surpass.  He could have used an extra year no doubt, but hindsight is 20/20

44 minutes ago, Texas2725 said:

I love LJH and what he did for our Horns and hope he shines with the Saints.  The NFL appears to have viewed him as a kid with skills that dozens of others possess if not surpass.  He could have used an extra year no doubt, but hindsight is 20/20

I know I can say that I, along with @Daniel Seahorn saw LJH coming. We said he would break out and would be a major weapon for us. And he was. We saw this because he is very uncommon.

He is a freak athlete, uncommon size with multiple skills (can play an array of positions, plus return kicks) with uncanny coordination for a guy his size. You can't coach what he brings to the table.

He tore it up at Southlake Carroll, he tore it up at Texas . . and he will tear it up in the NFL.

I don't think he would have faired any better after another year at Texas. We saw what he could do. It was phenomenal. Nothing left to prove so don't risk it. This was the time to do it, IMO.

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I know I can say that I, along with @Daniel Seahorn saw LJH coming. We said he would break out and would be a major weapon for us. And he was. We saw this because he is very uncommon.

He is a freak athlete, uncommon size with multiple skills (can play an array of positions, plus return kicks) with uncanny coordination for a guy his size. You can't coach what he brings to the table.

He tore it up at Southlake Carroll, he tore it up at Texas . . and he will tear it up in the NFL.

I don't think he would have faired any better after another year at Texas. We saw what he could do. It was phenomenal. Nothing left to prove so don't risk it. This was the time to do it, IMO.

So the fact he declared early and didn't get drafted in 7 full rounds makes you think he wouldn't have fared better by having come back for his Sr. year?  I'm struggling with any kid declaring early and not getting drafted no matter how much I like them or hope that they'll do great.  I think LJH is a bit of a tweener.  I wouldn't call any kid that is 6-4 and 210lbs a freak who can only run a 4.78 40.  I think he is a good athlete and is excellent with YAC, but I don't think he'll break  as many tackles in the NFL unfortunately. Again, I hope he kills it in the league, but have to disagree on any kid declaring early, and not getting drafted, as not having a chance to have fared better by coming back for their Sr. year.  Especially a kid like LJH who could have greatly benefitted from another year in S&C, route running, and simply featuring his skillsets for 2 straight seasons forcing the NFL to take notice of him.....since they clearly didn't during this draft.  I think he could have improved his 40 time as well with the right program under Yancy, but that's just me, but it cost him some major $$ as well.

1 hour ago, Texas2725 said:

So the fact he declared early and didn't get drafted in 7 full rounds makes you think he wouldn't have fared better by having come back for his Sr. year?  I'm struggling with any kid declaring early and not getting drafted no matter how much I like them or hope that they'll do great.  I think LJH is a bit of a tweener.  I wouldn't call any kid that is 6-4 and 210lbs a freak who can only run a 4.78 40.  I think he is a good athlete and is excellent with YAC, but I don't think he'll break  as many tackles in the NFL unfortunately. Again, I hope he kills it in the league, but have to disagree on any kid declaring early, and not getting drafted, as not having a chance to have fared better by coming back for their Sr. year.  Especially a kid like LJH who could have greatly benefitted from another year in S&C, route running, and simply featuring his skillsets for 2 straight seasons forcing the NFL to take notice of him.....since they clearly didn't during this draft.  I think he could have improved his 40 time as well with the right program under Yancy, but that's just me, but it cost him some major $$ as well.

Add in the fact he said he hadn’t been running routes and catching passes before his workouts I kinda wonder his reasoning for declaring early.  In his interview with Lowell Galindo before the draft, he felt he’d be drafted due to the passion he played with.    I can promise you, there are Wr’s that play with passion for the game and run better than a 4.79 in the 40.  Correct, he’s not a freak, he’s a plus athlete that is physical.  

1 hour ago, Texas2725 said:

He wasn't going to get *that* much faster in a year, and ultimately the tweener status cost him - in the perception of NFL scouts. Too slow to be a speed threat and not quite big enough to dominate jump balls. Another year wouldn't change that really. 

Although I do agree that had he come back and **very importantly** been a dominate, featured receiver he would have been drafted higher based on the publicity he would've received. However most likely he would've been used next year similar to last since the Horns have a pretty good set of WRs. 

Based on the outcome, obviously staying another year would have been the better choice on the chance he broke out from the pack. I can't imagine he was told before the draft that he would be a high round pick based on his measurables. So he seems like a guy who was just ready for the next challenge. I hope he proves everyone wrong. 

2 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

You not only run the risk of injury, but of having a year that wasn't quite as good as the previous – which could be caused by a number of things not related to LJH.

So you think the NFL is the official word on talent? Its a crime that people like Jerry Jones take a winger on a Taco Charlton, who clearly wasn't the hidden gem JJ thought he was, while someone like LJH goes undrafted.

Some of these people making draft choices are no more qualified to do so than you or I. JJ is one of them.

LJH's name was hot this season and got more hot as the season went on. I still contend he did the correct thing by striking while the iron is hot.